Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

I thought there were some promising bursts at pace down the left side from him last night, he'll be exciting to watch when he gets going.

Something about his body language, or maybe just his big shorts means he reminds me of Gervonta Davis and I can't quite figure out why.

Yeah I think we'll go with Digne. I've found the signing of Maatsen a bit odd for the stage we're at to be honest. I think he'll be a very good player in the future, but it was a huge amount of money to spend when I'd argue there are more urgent areas to strengthen. Of course if we go and get somebody like Felix anyway, then great, but at the moment, we've got three left backs and only one proper forward.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

Yeah I think we'll go with Digne. I've found the signing of Maatsen a bit odd for the stage we're at to be honest. I think he'll be a very good player in the future, but it was a huge amount of money to spend when I'd argue there are more urgent areas to strengthen. Of course if we go and get somebody like Felix anyway, then great, but at the moment, we've got three left backs and only one proper forward.

I think Unai really values having pace and the overlapping run on the left side, something we seriously lacked last season at times.

Ultimately Digne will drop out the side, but usually the case with new signings is that they need to earn their place with Unai. Of course Onana is different and will come straight in as he directly replaced Luiz.

• Like 2

Digne might start the season, but that's only because Maatsen hasn't had much of a pre-season with us, he will be clear first choice soon enough, we haven't paid £35m for him to be a back-up. If someone made an acceptable bid, and Digne agreed to it, then he would be sold in a instant ⛈️

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Digne might start the season, but that's only because Maatsen hasn't had much of a pre-season with us, he will be clear first choice soon enough, we haven't paid £35m for him to be a back-up. If someone made an acceptable bid, and Digne agreed to it, then he would be sold in a instant ⛈️

I think he will rotate with Digne regardless of the fee if you off set the Kellyman fee against his value he really hasn’t cost us much.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

How can you say this with so much certainty? Could well happen but doubt you know for sure.

I can say it with certainty because Emery has said it himself at press conferences, and Tanswell, who is seems to be very accurate, has said so as well. We're prepared to let Digne go, the only thing getting in the way of that happening is that player himself is happy at the club, and doesn't want to leave, which is why I said 'if Digne agreed to it'.

That we haven't paid £35m for Maatsen to be back-up is obvious, Kellyman being part of the deal doesn't change that, we didn't want to lose Kellyman, there's every chance he will become worth more than the £20m we got for him, so whichever way you look at it, Maatsen has cost us a lot, he would have cost thirty million plus even without Kellyman's involvement as he had a release clause for that amount, he's not been brought in to be back-up to players we're prepared to leg go, anyone comes in with a suitable offer for Digne or Moreno and the player accepts, then they will be leaving

Edited by useless

This is what we been screaming for. Competition foe places. Emery has two quality lbs to choose from. It all comes down to who wants the shirt more eill be 1st choice 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is what we been screaming for. Competition foe places. Emery has two quality lbs to choose from. It all comes down to who wants the shirt more eill be 1st choice 

But 4 players for 1 space keeps a little excessive.  Even if Illing goes out on loan or plays RW instead, then it’s 3 first team players for one space. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, useless said:

I can say it with certainty because Emery has said it himself at press conferences, and Tanswell, who is seems to be very accurate, has said so as well. We're prepared to let Digne go, the only thing getting in the way of that happening is that player himself is happy at the club, and doesn't want to leave, which is why I said 'if Digne agreed to it'.

That we haven't paid £35m for Maatsen to be back-up is obvious, Kellyman being part of the deal doesn't change that, we didn't want to lose Kellyman, there's every chance he will become worth more than the £20m we got for him, so whichever way you look at it, Maatsen has cost us a lot, he would have cost thirty million plus even without Kellyman's involvement as he had a release clause for that amount, he's not been brought in to be back-up to players we're prepared to leg go, anyone comes in with a suitable offer for Digne or Moreno and the player accepts, then they will be leaving

No we haven't paid that much money for him to be a back up, it just remains to be seen whether he's good enough yet to make the left back spot his own. We didn't pay as much as we did for Diaby to be a back up, but that's what he ended up as, before a very swift exit less than a year after arriving.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But he's got three, four if you include Iling Jnr. Meanwhile, still very little in the way of competition up front, which was my original point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

I can say it with certainty because Emery has said it himself at press conferences

Haven't seen any quotes on that from Emery.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Absolutely. I think it has been clear for a while that Unai doesn't like Digne. He signed Moreno to replace him and now that Moreno has not looked so good since his injury he's signed Maatsen.

The problem with the plan is that no-one else will pay Digne what he's earning here, well maybe a Saudi team but I don't see Digne taking that option.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â