Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

Detailed write up here (just change to Reader view asap to see, don’t have to sign up for an account), they gave him 350/500 overall.

Ian Maatsen is a promising tactical fit for Aston Villa. He suits manager Unai Emery’s 4-4-2 setup and his attributes, such as his ability to build up play, create chances, and execute quick counterattacks, align with Emery’s preference for structured build-up and aggressive counter-pressing.

Emery will particularly appreciate Maatsen’s contributions to an attacking shape. Villa’s Spanish manager often allows one full-back to push forward, and Maatsen can provide overlapping runs and deliver low crosses to potentially break down compact defences and create goalscoring opportunities.

Maatsen’s biggest strength is his ball-carrying over large distances, not limited to his team’s left flank. Confident ball carriers such as Maatsen are invaluable in Emery’s system, as they can transition play from defence to attack, stretch the opposition, and create space.

The 22-year-old, who is in the Netherlands’ Euro 2024 squad, had a progressive carrying distance of 140.58 yards per game last season, placing him in the top eight per cent of full-backs in Europe’s top five domestic leagues. For comparison with Villa’s full-backs last season, Lucas Digneaveraged 66.7 yards and Alex Moreno96.55. Maatsen also excels at passing into the final third, averaging 4.62 passes per game, ranking in the top 11 per cent of full-backs.

According to Opta, Maatsen’s non-penalty expected goals (xG) tally of 0.13 ranked within the 91st percentile of all full-backs in Europe’s top five domestic leagues — so only nine per cent were better. He also ranked within the 80th percentile or better in interceptions (1.20 per 90 minutes), blocks (1.63) and clearances (2.87), demonstrating he’s much more than just an attacking wing-back.

A six-year deal tying Maatsen down until 2030 is longer than any other player contract on Villa’s books. That provides all parties with security and also enables Villa to amortise their financial outlay over the maximum five-year period. It means this deal will only count as £7.5million per season for PSR purposes. 

Other than a hamstring problem while on loan at Coventry City of the second-tier Championship in the 2021-22 season, Maatsen has never missed more than two successive games due to injury. He’s maintained this impressive record over the past four seasons, playing 141 times across four leagues — League One (on loan to Charlton Athletic), Championship (loans to Coventry and then Burnley), Premier League and Bundesliga — to highlight his durability and versatility as he played in various roles and systems.

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

His parents really missed a trick not calling him Iaan.

His dad's name is Maat.

Ian is Maatsen.

I'll get my coat.

Edited by Tubby
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, burchy said:

Top player, loved him when at Burnley on loan, quite a statement in all honesty.

Welcome to the Villa

Yes me too,  from the first time i saw him play for Burnley I thought, this is a player. This is a big signing for the club.

Â