Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Chelsea got mugged off with this deal.

Effectively signed him for less than 20m with Kellyman going the other way.

Seen Chelsea fans gutted by this.

I'm fairness, I rate Kellyman extremely highly and they already have left backs so not sure if they've been " mugged off "

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Will call it now, will be our signing of the summer even if we get in another four players as I expect.

Given the general mood in this thread I don't think people realise quite how good he is.

He'll work really well in the games we play Konsa at RB and exciting link up with Ramsey aswell if he can stay fit this year.

It's a coup to get in a guy who's just started a CL final for 35m.

Villa’s record signing (if you ignore potential add-ons for players like Diaby)!

Very happy with this one, but I think it effectively spells the end for one of Digne or the good looking guy we don't see very often. I hope we keep Digne of the two, raised his game under Unai.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Will call it now, will be our signing of the summer even if we get in another four players as I expect.

Given the general mood in this thread I don't think people realise quite how good he is.

He'll work really well in the games we play Konsa at RB and exciting link up with Ramsey aswell if he can stay fit this year.

It's a coup to get in a guy who's just started a CL final for 35m.

Not just a CL finalist, but CL team of the season having only signed for them in January so missed the group stage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Very happy with this one, but I think it effectively spells the end for one of Digne or the good looking guy we don't see very often. I hope we keep Digne of the two, raised his game under Unai.

Hard to see Moreno staying now I think. Maatsen is more similar to him in style than Digne.

We'll sell if a Spanish club comes up with 4-5m I suspect although of course more important to know what his book value is and see how far that would be off a loss chalked up for the summer 2025 accounts.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

Hard to see Moreno staying now I think. Maatsen is more similar to him in style than Digne.

We'll sell if a Spanish club comes up with 4-5m I suspect although of course more important to know what his book value is and see how far that would be off a loss chalked up for the summer 2025 accounts.

I hope its Digne thats moves on.

However, if its Moreno, personally i would still sell Digne and bring in a backup to Maatsen who isnt one of our top earners.

125k/135k on a backup left back is pure madness for us.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

However, if its Moreno, personally i would still sell Digne and bring in a backup to Maatsen who isnt one of our top earners.

Think Digne and Moreno will both go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Digne will go at latest in summer 2025, perhaps even the January.

I think given we're playing CL I'd just like as many experienced in the competition to stick around and he's one of them.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Please don't get injured in the Euros the minute you sign.

ACL incoming 😳

Big fan of this signing, I think he'll prove to be a real improvement.

If you were to list the current best starting eleven of this squad it's the full back positions for me that could be the most easily upgraded, which isn't to slight the likes of Digne and Cash, just that in certain cases they don't exactly fit the system as well as others would. Maatsen is a prime example of a good fit to the team given his profile.

Considering this transfer window seems to be seen as being broken into two parts of addressing PSR and then after that making the more "marquee" upgrades to the team, it's encouraging that through this deal with Chelsea both bases have kind of been covered in one.

13 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Think Digne and Moreno will both go.

Dayum Monchi really ain’t ****’n around!!

I love it. Cleared up the PSR mess, added young talent, a ridiculously good wing back and still hasn’t hit July 1 frenzy for our ideal targets. 

if he’s able to clear those two off our books along with 3/4 others then he’s well and truly one of the best going around. 

23 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Dayum Monchi really ain’t ****’n around!!

I love it. Cleared up the PSR mess, added young talent, a ridiculously good wing back and still hasn’t hit July 1 frenzy for our ideal targets. 

if he’s able to clear those two off our books along with 3/4 others then he’s well and truly one of the best going around. 

Don’t think there’ll necessarily be any more ‘frenzy’ in July than now - not saying we won’t be busy but in terms of signings, there’s no need to wait until July 1. That end of June deadline is only key for sales that need to hit this year’s accounts…

21 minutes ago, calcifer said:

ACL incoming 😳

Literally my first thought when I heard we're signing him mid tournament. 

ACLs to Wesley, Kamara, Buendia and Mings, plus Diego's Achilles injury has ruined me 🤣

Chelsea fans seem to think we’re inflating both Maatsen and Kellyman’s valuations by £5m - £10m here for PSR purposes (helping both clubs), which would make sense given £18m for Kellyman seems a little insane.

In which case they seemed to be valuing him quite low at £25m - £30m given his pedigree last season.

Â