Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Why are we paying 37.5 when his release clause is 35?

Romano explained in a video that it's two fold.

1. His release clause actually expired.

2. We want the payments spread over 6 years and paying a bit extra as a compromise

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Saving, to revisit at the end of next season.

Also, Monchi only signed for us like 3 days before Diaby was signed lol.

Aside from this yeah... He's nowhere near write off stage.

I don't think Chelsea would be interested in Kellyman as they already have Hutchinson, Palmer, Madueke, and Olise likely to join also, and he Kellyman isn't someone they would sign for their U21s, he's on the verge of being ready for first team football

As I said on the last page, I think of our academy players they would most likely be interested in Triston Rowe, Jamal Jimoh, or Kadan Young because of West Brom connection and them having already signed some of West Brom's top talents in the same age group

Wilson is perhaps a possibility just for the fact he gets a lot of hype owing to the amount of goals he scores, and it seems Chelsea will go for any player that gets hype

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well Maatsen is uncapped and Dortmund getting to the Champions League final was an anomaly. They finished 27 points off top spot

Pochettino publicly said he struggled with stepping up to Premier League level

You can't say them getting to a final is an anomaly and then not acknowledge that thet were 27 points off top spot because of one of the biggest shocks and anomolays European football has seen in the modern era. 

My bigger point was that calling him a 3rd choice left back isn't fair and isn't comparable to any other 3rd choice at an equivalent standing in the table. I saw a few games of his at championship level in person and he was obviously a cut above that league, at the age of 19/20.

I was at the Burnley game on opening day of last season and had someone bemoaning that they'd signed all these unknown talents but hadn't convinced Maatsen to come back. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Romano explained in a video that it's two fold.

1. His release clause actually expired.

2. We want the payments spread over 6 years and paying a bit extra as a compromise

Didn't they change the rules so that you now can't spread/amortise transfer fees over more than 5 years? Thought that was brought in last year after Chelsea went mad giving everyone 17 year contracts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Didn't they change the rules so that you now can't spread/amortise transfer fees over more than 5 years? Thought that was brought in last year after Chelsea went mad giving everyone 17 year contracts. 

I thought it was the actual repayments to chelsea. We paid extra to make repayments  to Chelsea over 6 six years 

As opposed the actual player contract,  which cannot be amortised any longer than 5 years. 

Just my take . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

That was contracts for players, not sure it matters re payments to other clubs ...

8 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Oh come now we've a team of Ian's.

Ian Martinez, Ian Cash, Ian Konsa, Ian Torres, Ian McGinn, Ian Tielemans, Ian Bailey, Ian Diaby, Ian Rogers, Ian Diaby to name a few. Not Ian Watkins though, he's just a sick pedo.

Oh yeah, I also forgot Ian Gil and Ian Vlaar, I’ve a memory like a sieve 

I think this is a great signing, do we think this is instead of Gallagher? As part of the mutual transfers between us and Chelsea?

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I think this is a great signing, do we think this is instead of Gallagher? As part of the mutual transfers between us and Chelsea?

probably.

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I think so. Get the impression Gallagher is similar to Smith-Rowe the other window. They just don't really have an interest in moving.

4 minutes ago, Nicho said:

100% it is. We obviously needed to deal with Chelsea because of the Duran interest/mutual PSR loopholing and he looked to be our first choice. I think we have to get the deal done before the end of the month and with Gallagher not wanting to decide his future until later in the summer/not that keen, we had to move on to the next decent enough player. 

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I think so yes 

I do wonder what the players will be unveiled with due to the delay on kits… maybe just a plain adidas top with a Villa badge? 

On the subject of Maatsen we’re signing one of the most highly rated full backs in Europe after a cracking season with Dortmund. They’re desperate to sign him but can’t afford him and their track record with young players speaks volumes that they’re so keen on Maatsen. 

I think he’ll be a cracking signing!

• Like 1

Â