Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

40 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Has Monchi gained some kind of addiction for left backs? We've got two good players already, have that Lino kid, seemingly buying Maatsen and then considering taking IlinggJunior as part of the Luiz deal. What is going on? 

It’s like being back in the good old Bruce days

Great signing, exactly the sort of player to fit Emery's way of playing. Probably Digne on his way then you'd think as 3 is too many. Young and will improve even more.

• Like 1

Hope we can persuade him to sign for us.  Seems to be a good player and one for the next 5 years, whereas Digne and Moreno are the wrong side of 30, not that there is anything wrong with that, but we are building for a future under Unai. 

Wow! Such exciting times. God, I love unai and our owners.

Come on Ian, you know it makes sense. 

Also first Ian to play for us since… Ian Taylor? Don’t get many young Ian’s these days.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Has Monchi gained some kind of addiction for left backs? We've got two good players already

I would say no, Monchi has not gained an addiction to left backs.

Moreno sadly looks a shadow of the player he was before he went down with injury. He's not getting any younger and has expressed a desire to return to Spain to avoid the rigors of the Premier League and also start a family with his new bride. So, that's one good left back out the door.

Digne hasn't lost a step but he's not the total package that Emery envisions for his primary left back. When you factor in his wages and age, you start to understand why he might also be shown the door.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Moreno sadly looks a shadow of the player he was before he went down with injury. He's not getting any younger and has expressed a desire to return to Spain to avoid the rigors of the Premier League and also start a family with his new bride. So, that's one good left back out the door.

Digne hasn't lost a step but he's not the total package that Emery envisions for his primary left back. When you factor in his wages and age, you start to understand why he might also be shown the door.

I think it’ll be Moreno to go… just an inkling I’ve got

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I think it’ll be Moreno to go… just an inkling I’ve got

If it's one or the other, it's 100% Moreno.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

LB not a priority position? Moreno's just missed half the season and tbh I don't think he will get as good as 22/23 due to the hamstring injury so I wouldn't be adverse to cashing in if the interest from Spain is genuine.

Digne was very good last season but again in his 30s, high wages so he'll leave sooner or later. 

Don't really know who we'd have even played at LB if Digne had picked up a knock in the closing weeks. People can say Pau but it's a bit like Konsa, stick him there for some games and we'll be much weaker centrally.

Also wouldn't fancy Mings there after a year out and he hasn't played there at the top level for about 7 years.

Maatsen would tick many boxes and we might still also get Iling-Jr who'd be more of a long term development signing so LB would then be sorted for next five years at least if not more.

Left back is 100% a potential problem. With Maatsen, we have an athletic LB comfortable on the ball hopefully for years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Also think lino will never kick a ball for us, he'll have a couple of loans, get the loan thread named after him and then be sold at a small profit 

19 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Wow! Such exciting times. God, I love unai and our owners.

Come on Ian, you know it makes sense. 

Also first Ian to play for us since… Ian Taylor? Don’t get many young Ian’s these days.

Oh come now we've a team of Ian's.

Ian Martinez, Ian Cash, Ian Konsa, Ian Torres, Ian McGinn, Ian Tielemans, Ian Bailey, Ian Diaby, Ian Rogers, Ian Diaby to name a few. Not Ian Watkins though, he's just a sick pedo.

• Haha 1

Â