Ian Maatsen

Pongo Waring

8 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

But that’s a massive under-performance by Chelsea. Let’s not start pretending like they are some mid-table squad of players!

Besides, let’s not start judging players by their deemed ‘squad status’ , we signed Arsenal’s backup goalkeeper to be our number one and that’s worked out ok right?

Spot on!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Zatman while I respect your opinions, and this a different era, Chelsea binned off Salah and De Bruyne who went off abroad and came back to England and look at them now.

I don't think them wanting him or not is bares any factor on his ability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a group of German guests staying at our holiday apartments at the moment.  They all rate Maatsen really highly.  The Bayern fan said "he's brilliant all season" and the Dortmund fan was gutted that he's leaving (probably / definitely).

• Like 4

I get he wasnt the starter at Chelsea but the context matters. IIRC (big caveat there)...

• He was a highly rated youngster who Kompany was desperate to get
  • Maatsen wisely went for first team football in England and smashed it for Burnley in the championship 
  • They wanted him as their first signing for the PL campaign 
  • They agreed a £20-25m fee which Chelsea would've accepted with a buy back as they needed some money for PSR
  • He rejected Burnley as wanted to play first team football at Chelsea
  • Chelsea couldn't offer him first team football, could only allow him to compete against Cucurella and Chilwell (& Colwill who they were trying to squeeze into the team to stop him going to Brighton)
  • His agents then got him a move to a quality CL team with a track record of promoting youth and he chose to go there
  • Dortmund loved him and want him but can't afford him at the option price they had (€35m)

All of which means he's now in a limbo situation where Chelsea still need to balance the books. So much so, they're open to selling Gallagher who was their captain and one of their standout players plus Chalobah who was one of their better defenders. Chelsea's openness to selling shouldn't be an indication of his talent / ability

Edited by _AA_786
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes Chelsea are shit, this lad couldn't get a game for them and did ok in a different league and we are spending 35 million on him

Great I know what bullshit we're going to have to put up from you this season 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

@Zatman while I respect your opinions, and this a different era, Chelsea binned off Salah and De Bruyne who went off abroad and came back to England and look at them now.

I don't think them wanting him or not is bares any factor on his ability.

Sure i get that but for me its just a lot of money in a not a priority position for me and I dont think he does improve us. Maybe in 2 or 3 years but not now

Duran I also feel has a higher ceiling and just our pants getting pulled down if thats the deal

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course it does, Chelsea finished below us 2 years in a row and chasing rejects

Would people be thinking similar if we signed Matt Targett or West Ham or Brighton 3rd choice left back

If Brighton or West Hams 3rd choice left back was also a Champions League finalist a few months ago and a regular for a good national side at 22 then you'd be asking more questions about how badly run their club is or what the hell the manager is thinking and you wouldn't be saying that it must mean that player is rubbish. 

Anyone that's seen Maatsen play knows he's quality. Pochettino was very public about the fact Chelsea were letting go of players he would start for the team, but their insane transfer policy now means they have great academy players that will make them the most money and they are desperate for that money.

If we're the only club interested in that player who shows mutual interest in us, then we're in a one person queue to get hold of someone who wouldn't normally be available to us. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

Sure i get that but for me its just a lot of money in a not a priority position for me and I dont think he does improve us. Maybe in 2 or 3 years but not now

Duran I also feel has a higher ceiling and just our pants getting pulled down if thats the deal

I’d probably have given them Duran and a few quid on top. 

LB is definitely a priority position. Digne is too slow and Moreno is a liability (and also really slow since his injury).

We’ve played some of our best football under Emery when Moreno was quick and playing well. We need that overlap on the left.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Edited by MSvillain
Not constructive

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

LB not a priority position? Moreno's just missed half the season and tbh I don't think he will get as good as 22/23 due to the hamstring injury so I wouldn't be adverse to cashing in if the interest from Spain is genuine.

Digne was very good last season but again in his 30s, high wages so he'll leave sooner or later. 

Don't really know who we'd have even played at LB if Digne had picked up a knock in the closing weeks. People can say Pau but it's a bit like Konsa, stick him there for some games and we'll be much weaker centrally.

Also wouldn't fancy Mings there after a year out and he hasn't played there at the top level for about 7 years.

Maatsen would tick many boxes and we might still also get Iling-Jr who'd be more of a long term development signing so LB would then be sorted for next five years at least if not more.

• Like 1

Plan was always to move on either digne or Moreno. So this is ideal.

Keep one as the starter and this lad is cover / prepping to be 1st choice.

Edited by spiezels

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If Brighton or West Hams 3rd choice left back was also a Champions League finalist a few months ago and a regular for a good national side at 22 then you'd be asking more questions about how badly run their club is or what the hell the manager is thinking and you wouldn't be saying that it must mean that player is rubbish. 

Anyone that's seen Maatsen play knows he's quality. Pochettino was very public about the fact Chelsea were letting go of players he would start for the team, but their insane transfer policy now means they have great academy players that will make them the most money and they are desperate for that money.

If we're the only club interested in that player who shows mutual interest in us, then we're in a one person queue to get hold of someone who wouldn't normally be available to us. 

Well Maatsen is uncapped and Dortmund getting to the Champions League final was an anomaly. They finished 27 points off top spot

Pochettino publicly said he struggled with stepping up to Premier League level

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It's a great signing if he comes. The lad is quality and only 22.  We might have to move Digne on though.

Which would solve our PSR issues for the next 10,000 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you were to ask me (which granted nobody is) I would say the two positions that could be most easily improved in our starting eleven from last season were both full back positions, so in that sense if the club were to agree then it would very much be an area of the pitch to prioritise. Just because we already have Digne and Moreno at left back doesn't mean it's not an important position to improve on.

Additionally, if we're judging players off of the basis of how the decision-making at Chelsea has impacted their career then I don't think it's particularly fair on anyone involved. When Maatsen has actually played, in the Championship, Bundesliga, and Champions League, he has excelled and gotten great reviews, why would not playing for Chelsea or Netherlands yet detract from that? It's like if Arsenal fans were bemoaning the idea of signing Luiz previously because he couldn't get into the Villa team under Gerrard, we'd be laughing at them here if so.

I think it's a great signing. He's exactly the right type of profile of player we could do with in that position.

• Like 2

Â