limpid

General Election Results 2024  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. WHat will the turnout be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/06/24 at 17:00

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Time will tell. 

Not really.

All political careers end in failure and Starmer will be no different, but he's not the single most unsuitable person to ever stand for the office of Prime Minister, like Johnson was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

No I think I’ll be pedantic if I choose to be, thanks all the same.

If you’re just going to jump to “sAviLle!!” reasoning when someone gently challenges you, maybe just lead with that.

Or not, whatever.

Was that posted with a complete lack of irony?

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Not really.

All political careers end in failure and Starmer will be no different, but he's not the single most unsuitable person to ever stand for the office of Prime Minister, like Johnson was.

I didn't say he was. I just expressed the opinion that he's very dull. He also reminds me a lot of Blair, a Tory in all but name, imo.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't say he was. I just expressed the opinion that he's very dull. He also reminds me a lot of Blair, a Tory in all but name, imo.

But time won't tell. Whatever Starmer does, it will definitely be better than being "like BoJo".

Once you have a nadir, there isn't a place to go below that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just had a Social Democratic Party leaflet through which after a brief read appears to tick this box.

The Social Democratic Party that entered into a pact with Reform in 2022?

REFORM UK AND SDP AGREE GENERAL ELECTION PACT

Reform UK and The Social Democratic Party (SDP) have today confirmed details of how they intend to co-operate in a significant number of constituencies at the next General Election.

SDP.org

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dull is just fine. 

He's certainly no play acting the bumbling buffoon Boris Johnson is he. Or fellow Eton educated polished, smooth talking, I'll charm you into decimating your public services and demonising the poor Cameron. Or no strap yourself in folks I'll crash your economy in record time Tufton Street Shill Truss. Or two thirds of the way billionaire, I can't be around normal people without treating them like something from another planet, and I'll not fulfill a single promise I make, Sunak.

I think after the last 14 years I'm ready to take on the face of it a reasonably normal dullard from a reasonably normal working/middle class background.

• Like 2

Just now, ml1dch said:

But time won't tell. Whatever Starmer does, it will definitely be better than being "like BoJo".

Once you have a nadir, there isn't a place to go below that. 

But that's a low bar. He will be judged on his own merits. Tony Blair was responsible for sending thousands of young lives to a needless death on the strength of an outright lie. What about that "nadir?" Don't get it twisted, I'm no Tory voter. I grew up on Findus Crispy pancakes. I just abhor people in Ivory Towers pretending they care about the Nether World .

Boris bashing is a cliche. I couldn't care less about the Etonian entitled .

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Social Democratic Party that entered into a pact with Reform in 2022?

SDP.org

Didn’t know that but they look pretty aligned on social issues.  They’d definitely butt heads on the economic stuff though. 

They’d probably suit my Dad who’s been flip flopping between Reform and the Greens 😆

Aren’t SDP one of the parties very very worried about toilets and rogue penises and people not being married and traditional family values?

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They’d probably suit my Dad who’s been flip flopping between Reform and the Greens 😆

There's not a lot those parties can do without the implementation of proportional representation. I don't see that vote coming round again for a long time, tbh.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Aren’t SDP one of the parties very very worried about toilets and rogue penises and people not being married and traditional family values?

Yep and very anti immigration.

Along with public ownership of utilities, a national care service and large scale social housing.

This is all based on a leaflet that just came through my door.  I had no prior knowledge of them apart from hearing the name.

Just thought they ticked the box of the earlier poster wondering why there was no socially right, economically left offering.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep and very anti immigration.

Along with public ownership of utilities, a national care service and large scale social housing.

That's like "Left Right, Left Right, Left".

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

This is all based on a leaflet that just came through my door.  I had no prior knowledge of them apart from hearing the name.

Just thought they ticked the box of the earlier poster wondering why there was no socially right, economically left offering.

They had MPs in the 80s. The Gang of 4 split from the Labour Party. Shirley Williams, David Owen, Roy Jenkins and the other one. Won a couple of by-elections, Crosby and Glasgow Hillhead.

Then they went into an Alliance with the Liberals and eventually the combined parties became the Liberal Democrats except the were factions of the original parties that refused to join the new party and both the Liberal Party and the SDP still exist today.

Yes there is a Liberal Party and a Liberal Democrat Party. In Liverpool we have councillors of both Orange varieties.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Time will tell. 

It would take some doing to be worse than one of the biggest words removed in politics. 

What kind of politician do you like if you're so worried about someone being dull?