Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

England have issues at left back 

Wonder if under emerys guidance he can break in and be a option at left back?

Very much doubt we see him at left back, maybe if we go to a back 5 but more likely he completes for that left forward position with Rogers 

• Like 2

It's unlikely we're siging him as leftback if Maatsen is also signing, he made his name as a winger, I know he played some games last season as a wingback, but so did Philogene when he was at Cardiff, and Iling is closer in style to Philogene than he is to any of our fullbacks

I see him as backup to Ramsey, but will offer us something different, as he can cut inside on his right foot like Ramsey, but can also go on his left foot too, he's basically the left winger we needed, but we didn't need a starter winger

He may well play some games as a leftback, if maybe Maatsen is rested, and we want a particularly attacking option there, but my guess would be that he will be mostly used in attack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Very much doubt we see him at left back, maybe if we go to a back 5 but more likely he completes for that left forward position with Rogers 

Im pretty sure moreno/digne or even both will be leaving. No chance we sre having 3 left backs. My money is moreno 

Is injury record been poor since he came here. Of both went could be left back cover

Edited by Demitri_C

7 hours ago, useless said:

It's unlikely we're siging him as leftback if Maatsen is also signing, he made his name as a winger, I know he played some games last season as a wingback, but so did Philogene when he was at Cardiff, and Iling is closer in style to Philogene than he is to any of our fullbacks

I see him as backup to Ramsey, but will offer us something different, as he can cut inside on his right foot like Ramsey, but can also go on his left foot too, he's basically the left winger we needed, but we didn't need a starter winger

He may well play some games as a leftback, if maybe Maatsen is rested, and we want a particularly attacking option there, but my guess would be that he will be mostly used in attack

Or perhaps he will be loaned out somewhere where he can play full season as a starter.

Difficult to see a place for him on the left where we now have few players who can play there (JJ, Rodgers, Buendia). Unless...JJ is leaving as well...

• Confused 1

He isn't being signed as a starter, I think he's being signed as left wing option, as we don't have one of those at all, Ramsey will be first choice on the left, Buendia and Rogers can play in the number ten position. If Ramsey was sold, we would bring in an high profile replacement in addition to Iling. The way I see it as it stands is Ramsey, and Iling for the left hand side, Bailey and Diaby for the right, and Rogers and Buendia for the number ten area. And within that there is scope for variation, Iling can play both sides, Buendia, and Rogers can also play on the left, Ramsey can play as an attacking central midfieler and so on. I guess Dobbin would be back up option in the event of injuries, maybe receive Emery coaching, get a few League Cup games if we progress and then maybe Jan loan. There's also Kellyman and Young, but have a feeling that Young might end up being part of the Maatsen deal to Chelsea, but at least one of them should be with us and an option

25 minutes ago, useless said:

He isn't being signed as a starter, I think he's being signed as left wing option, as we don't have one of those at all, Ramsey will be first choice on the left, Buendia and Rogers can play in the number ten position. If Ramsey was sold, we would bring in an high profile replacement in addition to Iling. The way I see it as it stands is Ramsey, and Iling for the left hand side, Bailey and Diaby for the right, and Rogers and Buendia for the number ten area. And within that there is scope for variation, Iling can play both sides, Buendia, and Rogers can also play on the left, Ramsey can play as an attacking central midfieler and so on. I guess Dobbin would be back up option in the event of injuries, maybe receive Emery coaching, get a few League Cup games if we progress and then maybe Jan loan. There's also Kellyman and Young, but have a feeling that Young might end up being part of the Maatsen deal to Chelsea, but at least one of them should be with us and an option

Sounds like too many players to keep around. There's also Mcginn and Tielemans who could as well compete for that number 10 position (or RM, LM).

I'm almost certain Dobbin will be loaned out to Championship and someone else sold probably.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Sounds like too many players to keep around. There's also Mcginn and Tielemans who could as well compete for that number 10 position (or RM, LM).

I'm almost certain Dobbin will be loaned out to Championship and someone else sold probably.

Does it - we had a paper thin squad running on vapours at the end of last season - add into the mix hopefully a better domestic cup record next season and champions league - we need a full 25 squad plus youth 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Does it - we had a paper thin squad running on vapours at the end of last season - add into the mix hopefully a better domestic cup record next season and champions league - we need a full 25 squad plus youth 

In these particular positions it does. 10 players for 3 positions. I'm guessing Dobbin and 1 more will leave (on loan or otherwise).

9 hours ago, BOF said:

Eyeling or ill-ing?

"ill-ing" from how I hear it pronounced during games.

Also from what I've seen, imo the talk of LB/LWB is a bit of a red herring. He can play there but primarily he's a left attacking option if we want a Bailey type player on the left rather than Rogers who drifts inside. His athleticism has meant Juve could use him at LWB partly due to how Allegri likes to setup. He's often put players like Cuadrado at Wing Back if they have the intelligence and engine.

Edited by _AA_786
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We lack a player like him, Summerville would have been our choice, but considering all issues around, I think we’ve done well getting him. Would save us much while adding depth, potential and new dimension to the squad. His physicality would be a key as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

"ill-ing" from how I hear it pronounced during games.

Also from what I've seen, imo the talk of LB/LWB is a bit of a red herring. He can play there but primarily he's a left attacking option if we want a Bailey type player on the left rather than Rogers who drifts inside. His athleticism has meant Juve could use him at LWB partly due to how Allegri likes to setup. He's often put players like Cuadrado at Wing Back if they have the intelligence and engine.

The mould of player we want seems to be with more height and dynamism. This kid has so much explosive urgency getting forward as much as he can cover ground defensively. Him rotating with Maatsen or overlapping each other makes us very, very dangerous on the attack. 

Count me in as one of the people that think he's being signed primarily as a left wing back. I think we'll sell both Digne and Moreno, Maatsen will be first choice with Iling-Junior as cover.

Emery couldn't play it on the pitch all of the time last season due to personnel issues, but his preferred system has the "left back" way up with the front 3 in possession alongside Watkins and Bailey. The midfield form a box in front of the back 3 and that would include Ramsey/Rogers as the inside left attacking midfielder making room for that super attacking left wing back.

However his versatility is clearly a positive and I'm not going to be disappointed if I'm wrong and he's mostly a wing option, with one of Digne/Moreno kept around as cover for Maatsen. I just don't think that will happen because we will be overloaded in attacking midfield positions - too many to register for a Champions League squad.

Â