Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's interesting. He's predominantly a winger who can play wing back isn't he, rather than a full back who can play further forward?

I guess it’s still TBD if he will end up a winger or an attacking full back, most of his games to Juventus were wing back.

From what I’ve read about him (and seen a bit in the friendlies) he’s the type of winger who likes to run down the byline, a proper wide winger, which is different to the likes of Bailey who wants to cut inside and drive towards goal themselves which is how most modern wingers play. The role of staying truly wide usually now lies with the full backs which perhaps suits Iling’s natural style better, especially as Unai loves an attacking left back who’s main strength is getting forwards and joining the attack, I can envisage Iling fitting that role well. 

Edited by david-avfc

17 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I guess it’s still TBD if he will end up a winger or an attacking full back, most of his games to Juventus were wing back.

From what I’ve read about him (and seen a bit in the friendlies) he’s the type of winger who likes to run down the byline, a proper wide winger, which is different to the likes of Bailey who wants to cut inside and drive towards goal themselves which is how most modern wingers play. The role of staying truly wide usually now lies with the full backs which perhaps suits Iling’s natural style better, especially as Unai loves an attacking left back who’s main strength is getting forwards and joining the attack, I can envisage Iling fitting that role well. 

Fair enough, in terms of what we've seen so far, I'd say he's behind all three of our left backs in terms of his ability to do that at the moment - but he has plenty of time to prove otherwise and I doubt we'll be keeping all three of them - however, given that they're all better defensively than him, it's hard to see how he'd force his way into the position even as a number two unless there's an injury. 

It's hard right now to see how he gets game time, or even bench time.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

You're right, it is and I'm sure there's a player in there.

I'm just a bit disappointed in what we've seen so far, he was okay against Walsall, but in the game the other night he was constantly cutting inside and giving the ball away, his touch was poor, he looked slow and cumbersome - it was just a bit of a stinker. I'm looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of him on Wednesday night where hopefully we'll see he can do when he's at it.

I think once he gets the hang of the emery way he will add something.  He definitely looks raw around the edges some improvement needed

Beginning to think he really was a PSR pawn and not someone we actively scouted and wanted to bring in, I don’t know!

Can't currently see where he fits in to a match day squad, a Championship loan may be good for him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Impossible to judge on pre-season alone - he’s getting minutes and getting up to speed with Unai’s tactics 

Not sure it is about tactics.  Has not shown any positive attributes or cutting edge.  

He's looked fine for the most part, just doesn't look like he's got the confidence to anything beyond playing it safe when the opportunity presents itself to maybe take a risk, and in that sense he reminds of when an academy player first comes into the first team, but once he gets some confidence I'm sure he will be fine, I've watched him play previously, and know he's got the ability to go past people with pace and make things happen, can go on the outside or cut onto his right, and is also good in general play too, is a surprisingly good passer for a winger too, so much so it's made me wonder if he could eventually become a CM as he has a lot of attributes for that role and I think has played there, but that's another story. Should go without saying that a few pre-season games when he's new to the club and playing in disjointed teams is way way too early to judge him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Looks no better than Dobbin.

Valued at 20m? LOL

Eh? We paid €14m (£11.8m). Really encouraging to write new players off during pre-season too. 

At the moment, if we were playing Bolton in an early round league cup game tomorrow, I'd play Louie Barry over Illing-Junior - he really needs some time to settle and get used to the place. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

At the moment, if we were playing Bolton in an early round league cup game tomorrow, I'd play Louie Barry over Illing-Junior - he really needs some time to settle and get used to the place. 

Agree with you that the Leipzig game was poor from him and not very encouraging, you probably spotted it earlier than me regarding the previous games.

On a positive note he seems to be solid defensively, not many attacks against us came on our left side. Hopefully it's also a question of him adapting to the inverted RM role.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â