Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

20 hours ago, JPAngel said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/video/ae56a898-02b6-46fa-9746-0b0a2c02bbd1

Quick fire Q&A from today. Usually these things are incredibly dull but I was really happy to hear his answer to "Who was your idol growing up?"

His answer?: "His parents". Also touched on how much they sacrificed to give him the life he has today. That speaks volumes to his character as far as I'm concerned.

Lovely, grounded guy  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JPAngel said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/video/ae56a898-02b6-46fa-9746-0b0a2c02bbd1

Quick fire Q&A from today. Usually these things are incredibly dull but I was really happy to hear his answer to "Who was your idol growing up?"

His answer?: "His parents". Also touched on how much they sacrificed to give him the life he has today. That speaks volumes to his character as far as I'm concerned.

Please release the duran version!

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2024 at 20:21, TomC said:

Our most mystifying signing...not that I have any reason to dislike him; I just don't know where he fits in.

Left back? Are we selling both Digne and Moreno?

Left-side attacking midfielder? But we already have Rogers and JJ there, and Unai often used Buendia there, too...

Left wing in the forward line? Our formations under Unai to date haven't included this position. Maybe Unai wants the option to go 4-3-3? Or wants to be able to flip the asymmetrical formation such that there's a dedicated left winger instead of a dedicated right winger (i.e. Bailey) and the right back attacks while the left back stays back?

I will be very, very interested to see how Unai uses him...

It's OK to buy for the future you know. Doesn't have to be displacing any of our current players. Who knows what the squad will look like in a couple of years. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's OK to buy for the future you know. Doesn't have to be displacing any of our current players. Who knows what the squad will look like in a couple of years. 

No no no, that’s not life in 2024. We need instant gratification thank you very much.

• Like 1

He's playing in a couple of very competitive positions in terms of getting into the matchday squad - at the moment, there are at least two players in front of him in any of the positions he plays in - so he really does need to impress if he wants to make the bench at the start of the season. He's not quite done that yet and he's one for whom the remaining games of this pre-season are really, really important.

• Like 1

The lack of a dominant midfield in the preseason games so far means our wide players have been feeding off scraps. 

Haven't seen any real evidence of pace from him yet. Has an awkward looking running gait that makes it looks like his feet are too heavy for him. Weird criticism I know ...

The lad can fizz a cross past the goal mouth though.

I think he's been fine, was one of the better players against Walsall, wasn't great in the next game, did some good and not so good things this morn, if we were judging players on these pre-season games then there would be question marks surrounding a lot of our team, and he's new, playing in disjointed line-ups, in pre-season mode, and has had less than two games worth of football

We've been watching him for a while and specifically asked for him to be part of the Luiz deal, originally it was just McKennie plus money, or at least according to Tanswell, he hasn't been brought in not to be used, he gives us an option on that left side that none of our other attackers give, something that Emery specifically wanted, also he can play on the right side, and I don't necessarily think he's third choice left-back, that will depend on the game and the in-game tactics, if Maatsen unavailable, we might want to go with a more like for like attack minded replacement

In Philogene thread a lot of people have been saying he's going to surprise people, which I don't really get, as most have been hyping him up, so if he does well it's not going to be a surprise; based on comments,  if anyone is going to surprise people it's this player, of course there are no guarantees as with any signing, but I don't think as a talent he's as far behind some of our other players as people might think, if he lives up to potential, they too will have to play well to keep him out of the team

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

...he hasn't been brought in not to be used, he gives us an option on that left side that none of our other attackers give, something that Emery specifically wanted

What is that thing? I don't think he's pacier than Maatsen nor more of a threat running with the ball than Rogers or Ramsey. 

also he can play on the right side,

On performances so far this pre-season, I think KKH has shown more as a winger on the right and I can't see him pushing out Bailey or McGinn there.

and I don't necessarily think he's third choice left-back, that will depend on the game and the in-game tactics,

I don't either, at the moment, I think he's fourth choice left back and fair way back from the three we've seen.

Don't get me wrong, it's early days and I'm hoping he can show us something in the upcoming games - but I think so far he's struggled, he looks a little clumsy, the touch hasn't been there, he's got a surprising lack of pace and directness and I'm not quite sure what sort of player he wants to be or what his strengths are. I'm hoping he picks up.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's playing in a couple of very competitive positions in terms of getting into the matchday squad - at the moment, there are at least two players in front of him in any of the positions he plays in - so he really does need to impress if he wants to make the bench at the start of the season. He's not quite done that yet and he's one for whom the remaining games of this pre-season are really, really important.

Makes you wonder why we decided to include him as part of the Luiz transfer. Seems a waste if he isn’t going to get a look in. 

i presume what he offers that our other wingers don't offer is the ability to go on the outside and cross with his left, before he signed, or was even linked, Tanswell had said that that was something that Emery wanted as an option, also playing on the right he would offer something that Kesler-Hayden or Philogene don't, that is a player who can cut onto his left foot, bearing in mind we've lost Diaby, Zaniolo, and Kellyman that offered that, as it stands after sales, other than Bailey he's our only left footed attacker

In most circumstances I think whoever stays out of Moreno or Digne will second choice leftback ahead of him, but I think if we wanted to play with an especially attacking leftback and Maatsen was unavailable or rested, then in that particular scenario he might be second choice, maybe we would play Konsa at rightback to balance it out, also doesn't necessarily have to be from the start of games, he could be a leftback option off the bench, if Maatsen has to come off and we need a more attacking option than Digne or Moreno

I think what also has to be remembered is that players he's in competition with, Bailey, Philogene, Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers, Moreno, and Digne, don't exactly have the best injury records

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

What is that thing? I don't think he's pacier than Maatsen nor more of a threat running with the ball than Rogers or Ramsey. 

On performances so far this pre-season, I think KKH has shown more as a winger on the right and I can't see him pushing out Bailey or McGinn there.

I don't either, at the moment, I think he's fourth choice left back and fair way back from the three we've seen.

Don't get me wrong, it's early days and I'm hoping he can show us something in the upcoming games - but I think so far he's struggled, he looks a little clumsy, the touch hasn't been there, he's got a surprising lack of pace and directness and I'm not quite sure what sort of player he wants to be or what his strengths are. I'm hoping he picks up.

That's interesting, I've seen his performances quite differently, I think he has showed that he is a proper and really good left wing player who is learning to play in our inverted winger role. In contrast to a heads down - running into blind allys type of winger - he seems to be careful with the ball and makes good decisions. In the previous games I thought he put some good through balls and crosses in, whereas yesterday he more took the safe option and passed backwards/sideways, but still put some good crosses in. Though I agree with you that he hasn't stood out really, I think we have seen controlled professional performances and glimpses that he has it in his locker to really have an impact.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think thats a tad harsh analysis on the player to be honest. He hasnt looked that slow and he did get a assist on his first game.

He has got potential and its still only 3 games in of pre season. Like any young player he will have ups and downs. He will get use to the emery way im sure. We have been tracking him for a while - im sure under emerys coaching he is going to be very good

Edited by Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think thats a tad harsh analysis on the player to be honest.

You're right, it is and I'm sure there's a player in there.

I'm just a bit disappointed in what we've seen so far, he was okay against Walsall, but in the game the other night he was constantly cutting inside and giving the ball away, his touch was poor, he looked slow and cumbersome - it was just a bit of a stinker. I'm looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of him on Wednesday night where hopefully we'll see he can do when he's at it.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You're right, it is and I'm sure there's a player in there.

I'm just a bit disappointed in what we've seen so far, he was okay against Walsall, but in the game the other night he was constantly cutting inside and giving the ball away, his touch was poor, he looked slow and cumbersome - it was just a bit of a stinker. I'm looking forward to seeing a whole lot more of him on Wednesday night where hopefully we'll see he can do when he's at it.

he did one brilliant low cross into the area that for some reason Pau was almost on the end of, then seemed to fade in confidence after that

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Presumably Kesler Hayden is just playing right wing to get minutes, he’s a full back / wing back by trade, not an attacker.

Similar to Iling on the other side, we are stacked for left backs so the only way to give him minutes is to push him forwards. He’s perhaps more of an attacker than Kesler Hayden but I can’t see why he’d be ahead of our other attackers in the pecking order. He will probably be used as a utility player on the left, back up to Maatsen and occasionally being played forward if the game requires it. But at the moment our squad is unbalanced with too many left sided players, I think the club would be happy to sell both Digne and Moreno if possible, Maatsen is obviously first choice in that position so having the other 2 sat around is a waste

7 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Similar to Iling on the other side, we are stacked for left backs so the only way to give him minutes is to push him forwards. He’s perhaps more of an attacker than Kesler Hayden but I can’t see why he’d be ahead of our other attackers in the pecking order.

That's interesting. He's predominantly a winger who can play wing back isn't he, rather than a full back who can play further forward?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â