Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

I feel like he is going to be a real fan favourite for years to come… some good performances and you’d imagine he can force his way in to the senior England squad (not like England are blessed with left sided players 😂)

• Like 1

He’s got fantastic crossing stats for a wing back, great on recoveries and has plenty of pace. Him and Ian will completely change our threat and defensive work down the left. 

I could also see him working as an understudy to Maatsen and we keep Digne as a more experienced defensive option in the short term. 

I'm yet to see a negative response from the Juve fans to both of the new lads signing for us, which is a good sign. Maybe the fans are built differently over there compared to ours, hopefully we've just pulled on a major coup. 

I think this spells the end for our two ageing LBs too. 

27 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'm yet to see a negative response from the Juve fans to both of the new lads signing for us, which is a good sign. Maybe the fans are built differently over there compared to ours, hopefully we've just pulled on a major coup. 

I think this spells the end for our two ageing LBs too. 

I don’t think they care, to them it’s like losing the equivalent to KKH and Tim 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

10 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I work in advertising, I pick up on the same things. 

Interesting ! We always get asked to deliver 30s & 15s cuts 'just in case ' but never landed an Ad to date, mostly it's reality TV with some dreadful celebrity 😅

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Interesting ! We always get asked to deliver 30s & 15s cuts 'just in case ' but never landed an Ad to date, mostly it's reality TV with some dreadful celebrity 😅

I deal more with “influencers”  there is nothing more dreadful 🤬

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wonder if he might play on the right at all for us. 

I think we'll see Rodgers/Ramsey and maybe even SIJ up front off Ollie. Like what Bailey does and Diaby attempts to do.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We may sell BOTH digne and moreno and have junior as cover for maatsen

I can see this… just had the feeling that would happen for a while. Let’s not forget that Unai’s first signing was Moreno (and most people didn’t even think we needed a left back at the time) and he has always been his favoured option. The problem has been his injury… 

Most of the players are inherited and Digne was replaced asap… but utilised at times in different games or situations.

He performed and stepped up admirably while Alex was injured… who came back into the side asap too (and got us a goal or two) before Lucas was restored to the side… Moreno dropped off a bit or struggled to fully recover/regain his previous form (he was brilliant in 2023, especially linking up with JJ who also got injured). Picked up another knock or injury too.

So… it seems evident that that’s the kind of player that Unai favours though and we seemingly have two options like that now and at least one will or should be even better.

The occasional or more defensive alternative might be a left footed CB who can do a job there, in the same way that Konsa has done over on the right.

We have to move Digne on at some point because of his wages and age… he is going to decline… we don’t want him to end up being a financial burden or difficult to move on (like Coutinho, for example).

And Moreno has been linked with a move back to Spain, rumours of homesickness and… maybe the injury has really curtailed him and it’s difficult for him to get back to that 2023 version of himself. Which may have been a factor in signing both Maatsen and Iling-Jr..

Glad the main site is getting better at write ups

Aston Villa confirmed the signing of Samuel Iling-Junior from Juventus this week.

The 20-year-old returns to England after a four-year stay in Italy, where he featured in Serie A and Europe for the Turin club.

Here’s how the young winger’s career has unfolded so far…

Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain were among the clubs queued up to sign him, but it was Juventus who succeeded in their pursuit.

Iling-Junior starred for the club’s Next Gen (under-23s) section before first-team manager Massimiliano Allegri brought him into the senior set-up.

His Serie A debut was made in October 2022 and was quickly followed by a maiden appearance in the Champions League, which was marked with an assist.

After playing 27 times in 2023/24, Iling-Junior departed having made 45 appearances for the Italian giants.

Wing-back/winger hybrid incoming 

He was deployed on the left-hand side of midfield in a 3-5-2 formation as the club won a record 15th title.

The 20-year-old initially caught the eye in Turin with his cameos from the bench, providing a burst of searing speed and tormenting defenders.

As his standing in the squad rose, Iling-Junior was able to showcase tremendous technical ability to go alongside his physical attributes.

He played in a variety of positions for Juventus down their left-hand side, but also showed that he’s comfortable with the ball on either foot, enabling him to cut in or stay wide

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/july/02/getting-to-know-samuel-iling-junior/

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

seems a busy bunny both offensively and defensively.

image.png.d6aa422c7e6a09ac5c3b979fd76bf9ed.png

90 on progressive carries, but 16 on progressive passes? 

Does that mean he grabs the ball, pelts it up the wing, then turns around and passes it back again? 

Or maybe he's so freaking fast that when he looks to pass everyone is behind him? 

Run, Sam, Run.

Edited by HKP90

31 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

90 on progressive carries, but 16 on progressive passes? 

Does that mean he grabs the ball, pelts it up the wing, then turns around and passes it back again? 

Or maybe he's so freaking fast that when he looks to pass everyone is behind him? 

Run, Sam, Run.

urrrrm, probably a run followed by a sideways/cut back pass as he's far up the pitch???

Â