Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Interesting that he’s been referred to as a defender in the official statement.  So is that where we’ll see him primarily used?  I thought he’d be classed as a winger?

Noticed that too. Adds to my suspicion that we will revert to a wing-back system next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Interesting that he’s been referred to as a defender in the official statement.  So is that where we’ll see him primarily used?  I thought he’d be classed as a winger?

I was just about to post the same thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

They added he can play along the entire flank so expect him to have multiple roles 

• Like 1

Really excited by this signing. I think he has a tonne of potential and even if he has an indifferent first couple of seasons at Villa, we'd still likely get our money back or make a small profit.

Also, called it, if the club statement is anything to go by...we'll find out for sure in pre-season.

On 21/06/2024 at 10:35, East London Villa said:

Count me in as one of the people that think he's being signed primarily as a left wing back. I think we'll sell both Digne and Moreno, Maatsen will be first choice with Iling-Junior as cover.

Emery couldn't play it on the pitch all of the time last season due to personnel issues, but his preferred system has the "left back" way up with the front 3 in possession alongside Watkins and Bailey. The midfield form a box in front of the back 3 and that would include Ramsey/Rogers as the inside left attacking midfielder making room for that super attacking left wing back.

However his versatility is clearly a positive and I'm not going to be disappointed if I'm wrong and he's mostly a wing option, with one of Digne/Moreno kept around as cover for Maatsen. I just don't think that will happen because we will be overloaded in attacking midfield positions - too many to register for a Champions League squad.

1 minute ago, East London Villa said:

Really excited by this signing. I think he has a tonne of potential and even if he has an indifferent first couple of seasons at Villa, we'd still likely get our money back or make a small profit.

Also, called it, if the club statement is anything to go by...we'll find out for sure in pre-season.

We aren’t selling two left backs this window. The statement also said he can play across the line. 

20 minutes ago, Isa said:

Noticed that too. Adds to my suspicion that we will revert to a wing-back system next season. 

Our left back has always operated like a wing back under emery tbh, as In the 2 x cb and rb make a central 3 when we go forward, and the left back acts like a wing back.

Edited by MaVilla

24 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Interestingly referred to as a defender in the OS announcement who can operate anywhere down the left flank. Probably see him in multiple positions. 

Welcome!

Yes I was surprised by the defender mention 

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We aren’t selling two left backs this window. The statement also said he can play across the line. 

Why not? We've forked out almost £40m on a LB who will be starting ahead of both of them anyway. 

Â