Samuel Iling-Junior

PaulMcGrath_5

I’ve said it before, don’t think he’ll be playing lb for us. He is another attacking option to the squad. The way he beats people is like how Madueke was pre Chelsea (and was getting there again towards the end of last season). He’s obviously not the finished article but a year under Emery’s tutelage and I think he’ll be some player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve said it before, don’t think he’ll be playing lb for us. He is another attacking option to the squad. The way he beats people is like how Madueke was pre Chelsea (and was getting there again towards the end of last season). He’s obviously not the finished article but a year under Emery’s tutelage and I think he’ll be some player. 

I think he’ll surprise a few people, I think we’re having many attacking players right now which isn’t bad, just utilizing them would be a challenge which hopefully Unai is able to do. I think we’ll see more changes during a game. First season for Unai we used to see LB rotation between games and during games as well.

I think this season we’ll see the same but in different positions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isa said:

Sky saying he is having his medical today so decent chance the whole Dougie deal will be annouced some time later. 

Since nobody is bothered to type out double-barrelled names over the long term - and rightly so - we should probably come up with a standardised acronym of his name. 

I prefer IJR to SIJ personally. Shame he won't be getting the #7 shirt or it could have been JR7. 

Being the pedantic w⚓ that I am - IJR is highly unlikely to be an acronym and much more likely to be an initialism (as in you don't pronounce it as a word but as three initials).  Being the son of an English teacher I try to avoid being a fully signed up member of the grammar police but the misuse of the word acronym is a one that I've never been able to let go.  I even wrote a lengthy letter (showing my age as it was a letter and not an email!) to the BBC after they mistakenly used BBC as an example of a three letter acronym (with TLA ironically not being a TLA itself but a TLI). 

Going completely off topic - My initials are ISA which I would say in the way that it would be an acronym (as in the same way as the financial services product) but my mum has a habit of laughing that they gave me a TLA and then saying I, S, A.  Never fails to cause me to launch into one!!!  Although to be fair to my parents I was originally due to have my middle name as my grandfather's name - Robert.  Thankfully they realised that might cause a few issues before it was too late!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Maybe not this season - but I have really high hopes for Maatsen and SIJ down our left flank.  I think that could be a really good partnership offering a lot of threat in attack but being pretty solid in defence too.  I like the idea of players being able to switch positions (i.e. Maatsen moving to LW and SIJ dropping back into the LB role) mid-match, mid-move - it can create confusion for the opposition as players don't know whether to focus on their man or their zone.  With them on one side and Bailey on the other we'll give a few full-backs sleepless nights.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, allani said:

Being the pedantic w⚓ that I am - IJR is highly unlikely to be an acronym and much more likely to be an initialism (as in you don't pronounce it as a word but as three initials).  Being the son of an English teacher I try to avoid being a fully signed up member of the grammar police but the misuse of the word acronym is a one that I've never been able to let go.  I even wrote a lengthy letter (showing my age as it was a letter and not an email!) to the BBC after they mistakenly used BBC as an example of a three letter acronym (with TLA ironically not being a TLA itself but a TLI). 

Going completely off topic - My initials are ISA which I would say in the way that it would be an acronym (as in the same way as the financial services product) but my mum has a habit of laughing that they gave me a TLA and then saying I, S, A.  Never fails to cause me to launch into one!!!  Although to be fair to my parents I was originally due to have my middle name as my grandfather's name - Robert.  Thankfully they realised that might cause a few issues before it was too late!!

No, I appreciate the grammar police (or grammar Nazis as some say) as I was never great with the technicalities of grammar in English. So get to learn something new - like the concept of initialism! 

Isa is my [full] first name and due to the principle familiarity here with the savings account, people pronounce it with the Americanised 'hard I' rather than Ee-sa. A lifelong irritant of mine but alas, I've learnt to live with it.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Isa said:

No, I appreciate the grammar police (or grammar Nazis as some say) as I was never great with the technicalities of grammar in English. So get to learn something new - like the concept of initialism! 

Isa is my [full] first name and due to the principle familiarity here with the savings account, people pronounce it with the Americanised 'hard I' rather than Ee-sa. A lifelong irritant of mine but alas, I've learnt to live with it.

Oops - now I regret mentioning how I pronounce my initials (as an acronym)!!! 😂

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

He won't be unless we decide to play with a back 3 and two wing backs. He's Zaniolo's replacement in the squad I reckon.

1 hour ago, allani said:

I usually just skim through 99% of the posts in the actual Villa section of the forum, but I read every single word of this post for some reason.

Edited by leemond2008

1 hour ago, allani said:

Off topic but my initials spell ASS which is why I never use my middle name. 

I got a good feeling about this signing.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My initials spell my name with the initials of the last name

Z.A.K.J

Ballers ball

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do decree that from this day forth you shall be known as Vive La Ass

• Haha 1

It's no guarantee that he's going to succeed for us but watching him a few times for the England Youth teams and he looks iike one of the standout players amongst those, bearng in mind you're talking players that would cost close to £30m in some cases maybe more, if we only paid £15m for him then it's a potential bargain.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

It's no guarantee that he's going to succeed for us but watching him a few times for the England Youth teams and he looks iike one of the standout players amongst those, bearng in mind you're talking players that would cost close to £30m in some cases maybe more, if we only paid £15m for him then it's a potential bargain.

£9.5m

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allani said:

Maybe not this season - but I have really high hopes for Maatsen and SIJ down our left flank.  I think that could be a really good partnership offering a lot of threat in attack but being pretty solid in defence too.  I like the idea of players being able to switch positions (i.e. Maatsen moving to LW and SIJ dropping back into the LB role) mid-match, mid-move - it can create confusion for the opposition as players don't know whether to focus on their man or their zone.  With them on one side and Bailey on the other we'll give a few full-backs sleepless nights.

Another possibility is Maatsen can invert into midfield - as he did semi-often for Dortmund - and with Iling-Junior you'd have a player who's natural game would be to hold the width on that side of the pitch if Maatsen did so, which most of the other options in that position wouldn't necessarily be comfortable doing. Won't be expecting too much from him too soon but he definitely gives another element of versatility to the team.

• Like 1

Â