3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

4. 4. WHat will the turnout be?

• 80%+
    • 60%+
    • 40%+
    • 20%+
    • Less than 20%

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/24 at 17:00

The big elephants in the room for all parties is how they will fund all of this, and no party except perhaps the Greens are saying how much fundamental changes will be required if we are actually going to meet our carbon reduction targets to tackle global warming. Because both of which will cost money and higher taxes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The big elephants in the room for all parties is how they will fund all of this, and no party except perhaps the Greens are saying how much fundamental changes will be required if we are actually going to meet our carbon reduction targets to tackle global warming. Because both of which will cost money and higher taxes.

There's a pact not to talk about it ,it seems and on Brexit. Interesting to see Labour say no tax rises on working people - I assume this means they will be taxing other wealth quite considerably. Good.  

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There's a pact not to talk about it ,it seems and on Brexit. Interesting to see Labour say no tax rises on working people - I assume this means they will be taxing other wealth quite considerably. Good.  

One of the libdem policies is to allow councils to increase council tax by up to 500% for houses being second homes.  One for the target seats in Cornwall and Devon then.

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

One of the libdem policies is to allow councils to increase council tax by up to 500% for houses being second homes.  One for the target seats in Cornwall and Devon then.

It would be popular policy down here in Cornwall. yet I feel the pressing issue for here isn’t to punish the second home owners, by making them pay more, but to have more properties available to rent/buy. Far too many are only available as Airbnbs. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Feels like quite a sensible move to give them a dividing line with the other parties and hopefully pull Labour a bit more in that direction as well. 

And combined with the other big one of getting rid of FPTP, they are the right side of both my red lines

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

And combined with the other big one of getting rid of FPTP, they are the right side of both my red lines

You'll be going into coalition with the Tories before you know it. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

They have increased council tax on second homes by 300% in West Wales.

The owners have set up their own pressure group to warn the council if it isn’t changed they’ll sell up and leave.

Never presume someone with the money for multiple properties is automatically all that bright.

I grew up in West Wales and the idea that “Sais” second home owners selling up does please me. Yet selling up means someone is buying. But who? Like here in Cornwall there’s are few working locals can afford the inflated prices, caused by the rapid purchases of second homes. 

it’s a tricky situation, where the bigger tax bills does disincentives “emmets” from buying more. It still leaves a gulf for locals to afford to buy their own homes, or even rent, when competing with the holiday let market aswell 

capitalism sucks balls 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I grew up in West Wales and the idea that “Sais” second home owners selling up does please me. Yet selling up means someone is buying. But who? Like here in Cornwall there’s are few working locals can afford the inflated prices, caused by the rapid purchases of second homes. 

it’s a tricky situation, where the bigger tax bills does disincentives “emmets” from buying more. It still leaves a gulf for locals to afford to buy their own homes, or even rent, when competing with the holiday let market aswell 

capitalism sucks balls 

It’s not aimed at Sais, it’s aimed at people with multiple homes and holiday homes when some people have none.

The prices become less inflated when there isn’t a market in having a portfolio of properties.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s not aimed at Sais, it’s aimed at people with multiple homes and holiday homes when some people have none.

The prices become less inflated when there isn’t a market in having a portfolio of properties.

I know.  
You know the market, it will be years before those prices will come down. Years isn’t soon enough when families need homes now

I’m not saying it’s a bad policy. Just needs a lil more to help the local buyers as well

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The one on Friday did get fact checked in real time albeit by humans at BBC Verify, not AI.

Thanks, I have to admit I did not know that.

However my idea of a bucket of liquid slurry poised above each politician to be emptied on their head should they be found out to have lied is still worthwhile, and would provide great entertainment 😀

18 hours ago, bickster said:

The Green Party don’t get much exposure, possibly for the best

As cringe as that is (and it is. I quite like her but this is an awful performance) it pisses me off that so often around elections a big talking point is "Who would press the red button?!" as if it should be a massive factor in who we vote for

• Like 2

A better question would be, given the level of investment in defence and infrastructure, and given the results of the last few years missile launch tests, what do you think would happen if you pressed the big red button?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As cringe as that is (and it is. I quite like her but this is an awful performance) it pisses me off that so often around elections a big talking point is "Who would press the red button?!" as if it should be a massive factor in who we vote for

I agree with your general point, the interrogation of Corbyn on this topic was ludicrous, however in this case, it's not a hypothetical "would you do it? Would you nuke them? Would you enjoy it?".

Then Green party has a policy to decommission British nuclear missiles.

Fully on board with the ridiculous questioning about what it'd take to get someone to press the button, but a position of scrapping our deterrent with the current situation in Europe is one that is going to invite some scorn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

A better question would be, given the level of investment in defence and infrastructure, and given the results of the last few years missile launch tests, what do you think would happen if you pressed the big red button?

That is what jumped out at me when he said "Well we're not going to nuke ourselves are we?"

Perhaps not deliberately. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I agree with your general point, the interrogation of Corbyn on this topic was ludicrous, however in this case, it's not a hypothetical "would you do it? Would you nuke them? Would you enjoy it?".

Then Green party has a policy to decommission British nuclear missiles.

Fully on board with the ridiculous questioning about what it'd take to get someone to press the button, but a position of scrapping our deterrent with the current situation in Europe is one that is going to invite some scorn.

Yeah fair enough. It was more of a general point as it was brought up in another show as well.

But yeah I take your point on this one