General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

42 minutes ago, RadioTom said:

I wish Labour would make a song and dance about introducing Proportional Representation. I think it became one of their policies a couple of years ago, but I've not heard anything about it since. 

Like most parties they think it's a great idea when they have no power and don't look like getting power anytime soon, but as soon as they are on a cusp of a large majority on circa 40% of the vote they get a bit quieter about it.

If the Tories end up on fewer MPs than the Lib Dems on twice the vote share (to stress, I still feel this is very unlikely) then I imagine they might start chirrupping about it for the first time. 

• Like 3

I think this is the best place for this story. Bolton MP Mark Logan (Tory) who had the smallest majority of under 400 to defend, was going to defend the seat, instead he's joining Labour and currently won't have a seat. (But still might)

He was only elected in 2019 for the first time.

And really really oddly, he's joining Labour because he wants the country to recognise Palestine as a country

• Like 1

Heh, I missed this story a couple of days ago

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/prime-minister-palestine-middle-east-keir-starmer-labour-b1160669.html

Responding to the First Minister’s letter, a Labour Party spokesman said: “The Labour Party will work alongside international partners to recognise the state of Palestine alongside the state of Israel, as part of efforts to contribute to securing a negotiated two-state solution.

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Like most parties they think it's a great idea when they have no power and don't look like getting power anytime soon, but as soon as they are on a cusp of a large majority on circa 40% of the vote they get a bit quieter about it.

If the Tories end up on fewer MPs than the Lib Dems on twice the vote share (to stress, I still feel this is very unlikely) then I imagine they might start chirrupping about it for the first time. 

Fair point… it’s probably because I support one of the smaller parties (but will be voting tactically to boot the Tories). 

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Streeting has absolutely nailed it here:

Even Piers Morgan came across like a raging lefty on the National Service topic

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Man scorned …

Smashing. That would be one of the few seats that the Tories would have considered safe, seeing their vote split three ways. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Smashing. That would be one of the few seats that the Tories would have considered safe, seeing their vote split three ways. 

Depends whether they can find another candidate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

42 minutes ago, limpid said:

Depends whether they can find another candidate.

well more news on that front :D 

• Haha 1

His target audience was the old dear and I am sure he hadn't bargained on someone under 65 questioning him which is why I guess he got into a muddle saying mandatory national service at 18 was a choice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

‘You’ll love it’. 🫠

His brain cannot cope when a normal person throws him like this, his natural reaction is to start walking away. 

Edited by MCU
  • Like 2

First MRP poll of the election campaign. It’s going to be a close run thing…

between the LibDems and the Tory Party for the opposition jobs :D 

Also accounts for tactical voting which is definitely a first in this election and possibly ever

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Would be terrible for democracy and parliamentary accountability. 

And absolutely hilarious. 

Yep, that’s absolutely where I’m at with it too

• Like 2