General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Since there’s been a whole lot of inflation why aren’t the government pressed on what they’re doing with the extra takings from VAT, especially that on fuel and energy?

Where’s the extra tax takings from increased corporation tax and lowering of the additional rate band?

Where’s the extra takings from pay increases across the board despite no raises to any of the tax bands? 

I suppose some of it goes on inflated costs of public service delivery (albeit they've  fought a lot of that, e.g. salary increases). But if your costs go up at the same rate as your tax take, surely there isn't  any more to spend in real terms?

11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I imagine that might concern a few Tory MPs. 

I'm wondering how many are going to jump to Reform at sort of about 3 pm Friday.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Journalists are pulling the £2k tax figure to pieces and Tories are on record continually lying about it,

Vic Derbyshire skewers Claire Coutinho on Newsnight last night and that is before the Civil Servants letter was released (I think)

Jon Sopel literally calling Sunak a liar over it, plenty more besides.

Liz Kendall's (?) face is a picture in this. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm wondering how many are going to jump to Reform at sort of about 3 pm Friday.

Way ahead of you.

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

On a related topic, if I were a group of Reform-leaning, northern Tory MPs and I were pretty sure that I lose my seat I'd be getting into a little group and at 3.55pm on Friday, all announce that we were leaving the Tory party, submit papers to stand for ReFUK and leave myself in a straight fight with the Labour challenger, with no time for the Tories to select an alternative.

Would look massively underhand, but nothing to lose surely? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Liz Kendall's (?) face is a picture in this. 

Yeah it’s Liz Kendall, her face is a picture because she doesn’t need to say much because Vic is doing all the hard work for her. She’s left to mainly pull comedy faces in agreement