General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm starting to think Labour may have played a blinder last night. They knew about the above 2 days ago and yet let Sunak lie repeatedly during last nights debate. I'd imagine they will now milk that and use it to discredit any Tory costings of Labours proposed policies going forward.

On the other hand, for the sort of politically-unengaged voter that they are trying to turn and then get out to vote, wall-to-wall coverage of "how accurate are the stories of Labour's massive tax rises?" isn't necessarily a good thing. 

Edit - see this for example

GPS1eBRXwAAmBhg?format=jpg&name=large

That's the push notification that BBC News has sent to the circa 7m people who are registered to receive them. Unless you're the sort of person talking about politics on the internet, people aren't going to be that bothered about whether they are civil service figures or Tory party figures. They're just "the figures". But their eye will definitely be drawn to "£2,000 tax attack".

Edited by ml1dch

56 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

God, I'd forgotten this abomination

I think it’s quite telling that the person I was most disappointed to see involved in that was Al Murray.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm starting to think Labour may have played a blinder last night. They knew about the above 2 days ago and yet let Sunak lie repeatedly during last nights debate. I'd imagine they will now milk that and use it to discredit any Tory costings of Labours proposed policies going forward.

Or will it be like the also unfounded Brexit battle bus - the more it's spoken about, the more it benefits the liars because people only remember the number and the association. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Cameron was a wolf in sheep's clothing in fairness and many of the issues we see now in the NHS, Policing, social care, councils going to the wall, prisoners having to be released early due to overcrowding, increases in working poor, huge increase in children living in poverty, drop in living standards for the masses etc, etc are down to him and Osborne's ideological brutal cuts in the name of austerity. Of course he also oversaw one of the biggest acts of self harm any country has ever inflicted on itself in Brexit as he couldn't control the more nutty wing of his own party. 

There hasn't been anything like approaching a decent/good option Tory PM in my lifetime. Starmer is a million miles from being an ideal option but a million times the better option when comparing him/Labour to Sunak/the Tories. 

Read this as pensioners being released early and thought I'd missed some major story somewhere. 

• Haha 2

Since there’s been a whole lot of inflation why aren’t the government pressed on what they’re doing with the extra takings from VAT, especially that on fuel and energy?

Where’s the extra tax takings from increased corporation tax and lowering of the additional rate band?

Where’s the extra takings from pay increases across the board despite no raises to any of the tax bands? 

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Or will it be like the also unfounded Brexit battle bus - the more it's spoken about, the more it benefits the liars because people only remember the number and the association. 

I think the bus and Johnson, people (as a collective) were prepared to go with the notion and with him because they wanted to believe it, they liked Johnson, they liked the idea.

I think the average voter might not like Starmer and may be wary of him. But they will also feel lied to by the tories and distrust pretty much everything Sunak says. The party and him don’t have the “Ok we’ll go with you on this” voter camaraderie that was there in 2019.

Looks like Starmer let Sunak roll with that tax stuff on purpose last night.

They've counted it and are nowsaying that Sunak lied 11 times.  Hopefully that sticks.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Looks like Starmer let Sunak roll with that tax stuff on purpose last night.

They've counted it and are nowsaying that Sunak lied 11 times.  Hopefully that sticks.

I did wonder why he was so unwilling to challenge it in the first half. Risky business!

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Tactically, why would it be more beneficial to let the lies slide, than calling it out in the debate?

Yeah, it does feel a bit like "the side I want to win is playing a perfect game of 4D chess and whatever happens is a sign that it must be working".

My guess would be "our focus group thinks you look a bit desperate if you call the Prime Minister a liar on live television so try not to do that".

7 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Tactically, why would it be more beneficial to let the lies slide, than calling them out in the debate?

I suppose you just let him keep totting them up and can now say Sunak lied x amount of times during the last debate, don't believe a word he says.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just had a leaflet through the door r.e: Labour - header is full Union Jack.

They're aiming for the throbbers alright.

I just saw the local MP to work - Peter Dowd (Bootle) in the shopping centre over the road, he was wearing a red sticker with the sort of top right quadrant being a bit of a Union Jack

It had his name on too!, just in case he forgets it I suppose, given that its one of the safest seats in the country and he's the local Labour Mafia Don (his family and friends pretty much control the Labour Group on the council) he  must have had them printed for the sake of it

But yes, the Union Flag appears to be on everything

Journalists are pulling the £2k tax figure to pieces and Tories are on record continually lying about it,

Vic Derbyshire skewers Claire Coutinho on Newsnight last night and that is before the Civil Servants letter was released (I think)

Jon Sopel literally calling Sunak a liar over it, plenty more besides.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Most blatant lie seen in an election campaign, this is some statement coming from a Mail on Sunday commentator.

And the Editor of The Spectator...

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I just saw the local MP to work - Peter Dowd (Bootle) in the shopping centre over the road, he was wearing a red sticker with the sort of top right quadrant being a bit of a Union Jack

It had his name on too!, just in case he forgets it I suppose, given that its one of the safest seats in the country and he's the local Labour Mafia Don (his family and friends pretty much control the Labour Group on the council) he  must have had them printed for the sake of it

But yes, the Union Flag appears to be on everything

image.thumb.jpeg.a5e9d4459ba168cd021be11fecfc6963.jpeg

• Haha 1