General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

It’s entirely subjective of course as to which square you choose to draw as the centre of the cross.

It is more useful as a comparison between parties based on policies, though presumably it would need to be updated as more policies are released? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s entirely subjective of course as to which square you choose to draw as the centre of the cross.

It is more useful as a comparison between parties based on policies, though presumably it would need to be updated as more policies are released? 

Agreed, I wouldn’t put too much thought in to it, but it did feel about right.

I don’t see any manifesto or policy initiatives being pulled out that would cause a noticeable recalibration. Even that new labour energy company turned out to be nothing of the sort.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just massively despressing these are the two options for PM

On the other hand, they're both infinitely better than the candidates that their parties presented to the electorate last time around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

On the other hand, they're both infinitely better than the candidates that their parties presented to the electorate last time around. 

Probably true

But miles worse than brown and cameron when they were the options.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Probably true

But miles worse than brown and cameron when they were the options.

Also probably true.

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There hasn't been anything like approaching a decent/good option Tory PM in my lifetime.

John Major was the nearest thing to one. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

It’s a bit disingenuous, using left-wing / right-wing just for “economic policies” (and then writing that in harder to read font) - when the term “right-wing” encompasses a lot more than economics.

I’m not even 100% sure what “right-wing economic policies” are? And how you can grade economic policy solely on this spectrum.

I would imagine a lot of conservatives actually define themselves as libertarian when it comes to the economy (E.g. property rights, free trade, etc..) - but then the libertarian vs. Authoritarian is solely for “social issues”.

Interesting chart nonetheless.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

It’s a bit disingenuous, using left-wing / right-wing just for “economic policies” - when the term encompasses a lot more than economics.

And to add to that and @LondonLax's point about where you arbitrarily choose to put the centre of your axis:

The Tories are shown as being in the 95% percentile "right" on their economic policies. Yet this is still a party that has no (declared) plans to abolish the universal state pension, SMP, unemployment benefit, child benefit, disability benefit and whose top rate of income tax is higher than it was at any point under Tony Blair, with no plans to reduce it.

Where is the space to the right on that axis for a party that would propose any, or all of that? 

• Like 3

The debate went exactly as I expected. Same regurgitated rubbish from Sunak about how the plan is working and Starmer being dull as dishwater as usual and not actually elaborating on what Labour would do.

Neither covered themselves in glory really.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And yet bizarrely they keep winning elections. Since 1979 we’ve had 32 years of the Tories and just 13 years of (new) Labour where they had to scrap one of their clauses to win power. Blair’s charisma also helped clearly. 

Always wanted to see Ken Clarke as Tory leader, one of the decent ones.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

He probably would have gone the way of all the other one nation Tories shown the door by the Tory throbbers these last few years. The current Tory Party is far more akin to UKIP.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

And yet bizarrely they keep winning elections. Since 1979 we’ve had 32 years of the Tories and just 13 years of (new) Labour where they had to scrap one of their clauses to win power. Blair’s charisma also helped clearly. 

Always wanted to see Ken Clarke as Tory leader, one of the decent ones.

Clarke lost the Tory whip in 2019 and spent his final time in Parliament as an outcast. Says a lot about this current lot.

• Like 2

Sunaks lies in last nights debate quickly being exposed. Don't be surprised if the useless bastard doubles down in the next debate as they have nothing but lies and fearmongering to offer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Sunaks lies in last nights debate quickly being exposed. Don't be surprised if the useless bastard doubles down in the next debate as they have nothing but lies and fearmongering to offer.

I'm starting to think Labour may have played a blinder last night. They knew about the above 2 days ago and yet let Sunak lie repeatedly during last nights debate. I'd imagine they will now milk that and use it to discredit any Tory costings of Labours proposed policies going forward.