General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

Just now, PaulC said:

We will have to wait for the manifesto. Pensioners already pay tax anyway. 

They'd pay no tax on the state pension by 2028 under the tories, the want to raise the income tax threshold just for pensioners. Tax cuts for the wealthiest generation, bollocks to the rest of us.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Starmer has improved slightly towards the back end of this 

Because he's been allowed to talk by the moderator. Rishi just shouted over him in the first half.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

They'd pay no tax on the state pension by 2028 under the tories, the want to raise the income tax threshold just for pensioners. Tax cuts for the wealthiest generation, bollocks to the rest of us.

Okay can you trust them? Who is going to pay for it. Working people.

Just now, PaulC said:

Okay can you trust them? Who is going to pay for it. Working people.

I feel like you got bored and stopped reading before the end of the line :)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone know if the pensioners tax is truw or not? I cant trust sunak so assume he isnt telling the truth but if starmers planning that  that is a disgrace

It's not that Labour are planning to introduce a tax, it's that the Triple lock is going to catch up with the Tax Free Income threshold. 

So in a year or 2 when the State Pension rises above the Tax Free Income level, pensioners will pay income tax on the portion of their pensions that is over the income level.

Tories proposing a "Triple Lock Plus" to stop pensioners paying that bit of tax when their income is higher than the income tax for workers.

But it's not Labour policy to introduce a tax, just the current system will result in a tax because Tax Thresholds have been frozen by the Tories.

Also worth mentioning, that we cannot afford The Triple Lock. Proposing the Triple Lock Plus is insane financially.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BBC Graphic  for the debate showed Sunak and Starmer standing next to each other, and EXACTLY the same height as each other. They must have stretched Sunak by a good foot to make him look as tall!

Starmer couldn't even give a bold straight answer to the light hearted football question.

Be bold and go for the win. Tomorrow we will be playing 4 4 **** 2.

Instead he prattled on yet again 

Well, if we're going on to the post match thread, 3/10, wnb.

Starmer comes out of that with people asking more about "...so does he have a plan?". "What's that £2,000 about?".

He wasn't helped by the moderator, but he struggled massively with that format, he couldn't deal with the bare-faced lies from Sunak, and really struggled to get a point across. I think he's lost more voters than he gained there.

But I do know he used to be the director of public prosecutions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Starmer comes out of that with people asking more about "...so does he have a plan?". "What's that £2,000 about?".

He wasn't helped by the moderator, but he struggled massively with that format, he couldn't deal with the bare-faced lies from Sunak, and really struggled to get a point across. I think he's lost more voters than he gained there.

It seems daft to do these things before the manifestos are officially released.  I thought Starmer did OK, Sunak obviously has the benefit of zero expectations and was given way too much leeway by the moderator.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was a tad frustrating but it was like he was  arguing with a school kid at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

People have already passed judgement on this government. Anyone who thinks this yawn fest will make any difference is deluding themselves.

I agree. This is one election where the leaders aren't that important imo. The last 14 years is what matters which I guess is why Starmer keeps going on about it.

• Like 1

To be fair the main thing the news concentrated on is the audience laughing at Sunak. 

That will be the major message that will come out of this. The rest is white noise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It was a tad frustrating but it was like he was  arguing with a school kid at times.

Unfortunately, in reality, when you're dealt with am obnoxious rat shouting in your face, you do actually have to lower yourself to their level.

Being calm and holding the moral high ground doesn't actually work lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To be fair the main thing the news concentrated on is the audience laughing at Sunak. 

That will be the major message that will come out of this. The rest is white noise. 

Probably right, this is how it came across to viewers, but I can't imagine a huge number of voters watched the whole thing

1146.jpg?width=700&dpr=1&s=none

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

BBC Graphic  for the debate showed Sunak and Starmer standing next to each other, and EXACTLY the same height as each other. They must have stretched Sunak by a good foot to make him look as tall!

Carefully chosen camera angle for sure. 

FB_IMG_1717535828631.jpg