General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

I couldn't bare to watch this but Starmer not doing well is to be expected. He's in the position he's in because his opponents have shit themselves so badly everyone's got the stench over them, and he's spent 4 years like nailing jelly to a wall and lying, whilst pointing at the shit stains. 

That's not a recipe for a good debate showing.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Reading this thread is like reading a match thread. I aint watching, I am not interested and I don’t think the right team will win. 

You're not missing out on much tbh. Boring 0-0 with stoppages every 30 seconds for fouls

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Starmer isn't doing very well here at all. He wasn't given enough time on the 2k thing, but he let it sit for 15 minutes and several repeated allegations before he even tried.

"That isn't true, that is not our policy, and will not be in our manifesto".

Job done. Shut it down quickly and simply, don't try and waffle on about the detail of how they got to 2k, you don't have time and it won't stick anyway.

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

As debates go, this really isn't one of the better run ones

Covering too many subjects in one hour. Not enough time. 

Honestly, I think there needs to be a debate where the candidates are in different booths and can't hear each-other at all. You might be able to get them to say something valuable 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the pensioners tax is truw or not? I cant trust sunak so assume he isnt telling the truth but if starmers planning that  that is a disgrace

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone know if the pensioners tax is truw or not? I cant trust sunak so assume he isnt telling the truth but if starmers planning that  that is a disgrace

No

Does anyone know if the pensioners tax is true or not? I cant trust sunak so assume he isnt telling the truth but if starmers planning that  that is a disgrace

yes

Does anyone know if the pensioners tax is true or not? I cant trust sunak so assume he isnt telling the truth but if starmers planning that  that is a disgrace

maybe

• Haha 1

Doesn't really matter. Starmer had the chance to say no about 59 times.

They're not introducing a pensioner tax, but the tories announced a "triple lock plus" on state pensions. If you think that's a good ideas we'll have to agree to disagree

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ggvrp8v28o

The Conservatives have promised to raise the tax-free pension allowance via a "Triple Lock Plus" if they win the general election.

Under the plans, the personal allowance for pensioners will increase at least 2.5% or in line with the highest of earnings or inflation.

Both the Conservatives and Labour are committed to keeping the policy, designed to ensure pensions keep up with rising prices and wages.

But currently income tax thresholds have been frozen since 2021 - the independent watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), has estimated, external that will create 4m extra taxpayers by 2028 and take 3m into the higher rate of tax.

Income tax is paid on money received via pensions.

By 2027, the state pension is expected to be higher than the tax-free personal allowance according to the OBR.

That says labour support it as well though?

They support the current triple lock, not the new "plus" part the tories want, which mean that a working person will pay more tax than a pensioner if they both earn the same amount.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We will have to wait for the manifesto. Pensioners already pay tax anyway.