General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

But will the tactical voting thing really happen, on a sufficiently significant scale? 

I'll believe it when I see it. 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But will the tactical voting thing really happen, on a sufficiently significant scale? 

Tactical voting always comes up and it rarely ever shows results. 

fingers crossed this time, particularly in Richmond 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I really do think it will happen. There’s another aspect to that poll that the Daily Heil are spinning like mad and that’s the 42% who aren’t decided on which way they are voting. The Heil claim that as hope for the Tories when the reality is nothing like that, they don’t know which non-Tory party they are voting to get them out in the main.

• Like 2

John Sweeney is making an awful lot of noise about this. Not that I believe he has any real personal interest I the town. Is he just going to split the labour vote and ruin perhaps the most likely opportunity for the Tories to get voted out of Sutton?

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

John Sweeney is making an awful lot of noise about this. Not that I believe he has any real personal interest I the town. Is he just going to split the labour vote and ruin perhaps the most likely opportunity for the Tories to get voted out of Sutton?

Sutton could be one of those seats that even though the LibDems were third last time, the natural party for disaffected Tory voters to vote for is the LibDems. That happened a couple of times in recent by-elections, Shropshire North being the first one that springs to mind. If you compare the Shropshire North and Sutton Coldfield 2019 results, they are incredibly similar. Tory 30+K, Labour 12k, LibDems 6K. Now the usual caveats about by-elections obviously apply

I've thought for a while that the LibDem vote share is rather unrepresented in the polls and its seats like Sutton that make me think that those undecideds don’t yet know which party for to vote Not-Tory in their constituency. This could also be one of those seats that they get wrong and call it for the wrong party

I believe Best for Britain are going to be polling before they make their pitch as to which party they are going to recommend in each constituency about two or three weeks out from the polling day.

It might work, it might not but it’s not inconceivable that Sweeney might win in Sutton, he certainly seems to be putting his pitch in the right direction anyway and in a way that the Labour and Tory candidate really can’t especially with regards to the shopping centre

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sutton could be one of those seats that even though the LibDems were third last time, the natural party for disaffected Tory voters to vote for is the LibDems. That happened a couple of times in recent by-elections, Shropshire North being the first one that springs to mind. If you compare the Shropshire North and Sutton Coldfield 2019 results, they are incredibly similar. Tory 30+K, Labour 12k, LibDems 6K. Now the usual caveats about by-elections obviously apply

I've thought for a while that the LibDem vote share is rather unrepresented in the polls and its seats like Sutton that make me think that those undecideds don’t yet know which party for to vote Not-Tory in their constituency. This could also be one of those seats that they get wrong and call it for the wrong party

I believe Best for Britain are going to be polling before they make their pitch as to which party they are going to recommend in each constituency about two or three weeks out from the polling day.

It might work, it might not but it’s not inconceivable that Sweeney might win in Sutton, he certainly seems to be putting his pitch in the right direction anyway and in a way that the Labour and Tory candidate really can’t especially with regards to the shopping centre

His is by far the most visible campaign I've ever seen in Sutton. His current thing is visiting every pub in Sutton. Wish that was my job...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

His is by far the most visible campaign I've ever seen in Sutton. His current thing is visiting every pub in Sutton. Wish that was my job...

Well it is rumoured he likes a drink :D 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just when you think things can't get anymore stupid. A tory MP trying to con voters he is Labour.

Not sure what the Electoral Commission would say about that

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The police are looking into it.

He'll get done for that.  Not sure what the punishment will be though? Electoral fraud is a very serious charge ....

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Now here’s just the endorsement the Tory party need :D 

The bloke is an absolute tool.  He sounds drunk as a skunk on the below (or high on skunk).

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I hate how people are conditioned to question “where is the money coming from?” Any time a remotely progressive policy is put forward.

We have the highest tax burden in 70 years and the worst public services.  Why isn’t the question “where is the money going?”

Because we know where it’s going. We also have the highest debt burden we’ve ever had and some dumb **** decided to crash the economy meaning the cost to service that debt mountain is now fully out of control.