General Election Pre-Thread (2 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/24 at 17:00

A new one each week to keep the poll relevant.

The party specific stuff can go on the party specific threads (but there will be some overlap). This is more for general stuff about the election, like the horrifying backstories of candidates.

I've tweaked the number ranges based on last week's poll.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Also amusing from Larry the Cat some of the replies we just as good

Sorry Larry but they're far too generous. Aside from Sunak which is bang on. Starmer wishes he had the imagination and charisma of a vienesse whirl.

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Daily Mirror getting one back for he opposition :D Stupid but amusing

How does that backpack cost £750 tbf

I was ready for the R4 Nick Robinson vox pop this morning, sat there ready to do the stats.

He was in a bakers shop, in Bolton.

Interviewed 14 people.

found 2 Labour voters.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I was ready for the R4 Nick Robinson vox pop this morning, sat there ready to do the stats.

He was in a bakers shop, in Bolton.

Interviewed 14 people.

found 2 Labour voters.

Age demographics? How many in the 65+ range :D 

Yeah there's got to be some serious skew when the demographic is people free to pop into the baker's on a weekday morning. And probably just in the bias of "people who ever go to a dedicated bakers (excluding Greggs)".

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah there's got to be some serious skew when the demographic is people free to pop into the baker's on a weekday morning. And probably just in the bias of "people who ever go to a dedicated bakers (excluding Greggs)".

Nah Greggs aren't bakers. I went in there and asked if they had bread rolls as I hadn't any to have with the soup I'd brought to work that day...they told me they don't do bread.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Nah Greggs aren't bakers. I went in there and asked if they had bread rolls as I hadn't any to have with the soup I'd brought to work that day...they told me they don't do bread.

I'd agree with them given the state of the mini baguettes they use in their sandwiches

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Ah, so they are patissiers then

Edited by one_ian_taylor
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Looks like a £10 backpack with £740 cash in the side pocket. 

Just enough for a sandwich and a coffee on the train

• Like 1

Busy lunchtime in a city centre, you'll get a bunch of young professionals who skew Labour. Quiet town on a weekday morning in a small shop, yeah you're going to get a bunch of older people who skew tory. Outside the local vegan market and you'll think Greens are winning in a landslide. Don't know where you'd need to go to find the Reform guys, probably look for people holding jerry cans hanging around outside an asylum hotel.

Why the media insist that it's a good use of air time to interview a handful of random members of the public as if it's giving us any real insight is beyond me.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Just enough for a sandwich and a coffee on the train

Only if someone else paid for the ticket.

Luke Akehurst parachuted into North Durham seat, as the Labour candidate I see. I'm sure he'll enjoy a pint in the WMCs of Stanley. 

I disagree about the left right analysis but…

Those who may be prepared to vote tactically against the Tories but that doesn’t really work for Scotland either

• Like 1

Despite not wanting Reform to get a single MP, I find it mad that a party can return zero MPs with 11.5% of the vote, while another can return 64 MPs with 9.3% of the vote. 

I wish Labour would make a song and dance about introducing Proportional Representation. I think it became one of their policies a couple of years ago, but I've not heard anything about it since. 

n 2019 Boris Johnson’s Conservatives scored an astonishing general election win, relegating the Labour party to one of its worst defeats in history. The slogan “Get Brexit Done” had currency, and with it Labour’s Corbyn Project was smashed.

The result was quickly written up as one that would take Labour a decade to unpick at the least.

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2024/05/britainpredicts