General Election Pre-Thread (1 of 6)

limpid

General Election Results 2024  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many Labour MPs?

2. 2. How many Liberal Democrat MPs?

3. 3. How many Conservative MPs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/05/24 at 17:00

More 18 year olds being motivated to get out and vote could be a byproduct of this national service malarkey. I have an 18 year old son, who was at a friend's bday party yesterday. They were apparently all mortified at the idea of national service. A bunch more anti Tory votes were born.

Where I am has been a safe Tory seat forever. Last election they had a 12k more with 33k votes. However lab and lib dem split the opposition and had 27k votes between them. A bit of tactical voting, some motivated teens and the national average swing away from the Tories and, well, you never know. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just saw a snippet of James Cleverley (a man that should never have clever associated with his name) earlier. Assuming the 18 year old adult doesn't choose the mandatory military service option then apparently the 25 days (during the first year) of voluntary work will be compulsory and unpaid. My youngest daughter turns 18 in August and is starting Uni in September (nursing degree cost to her of 9k a year) and looking to keep doing some part time (paid) work. So based on this nonsense she'd be doing her combined 40 hours plus at Uni and part time (paid) job and then rocking up at the Police station/Fire station/A&E/local tip and doing a 8 hour (unpaid) day every other weekend. It is ridiculous. Seems a bit of red meat to throw at old Tories giving Reform admiring glances but surely this would be better to get pensioners involved in who you'd think have way more spare time than working/full time studying young adults. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Parliaments can last 5 years. Anyone with a child of 13 will be concerned with a government threatening to press gang their kids at 18.This is going to backfire spectacularly for the Tory throbbers.

The other thing about this National Service is the future creep

Once there’s a thing called National Service that has an optional military element, it really never will be long before some bright spark has the idea of extending its parameters

Even if this idea was attractive to me if I were a Reform sort of voter, I'd still doubt whether these tories could ever implement it, given what happened with their Rwanda plan. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Even if this idea was attractive to me if I were a Reform sort of voter, I'd still doubt whether these tories could ever implement it, given what happened with their Rwanda plan. 

"Ok, the best we can do for 2.5 billion is 3 people doing an unpaid shift at Poundland"

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I don't think Labour will get over 400 seats. They did it in 1997 when they had a charismatic leader but the main reason people will vote Labour is because they want the torys out not because they want Labour under Starmer.. 

Edited by PaulC

Posted (edited)

The single role he's come up with that isn't utterly ridiculous is delivery driver.  We don't have a shortage as it's an unskilled role, so we're spending loads of money to... Get people to work for free while taking away work from people who do it for an income? Great stuff.

Edited by Davkaus

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

ye gads

He specifically mentions delivering for pharmacies. The accreditation to be part of the pharmaceutical supply chain makes it incredibly unlikely (impossible) that non-employed people would be able to participate.

Clearly none of the donors owns a pharma delivery company.

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

He specifically mentions delivering for pharmacies. The accreditation to be part of the pharmaceutical supply chain makes it incredibly unlikely (impossible) that non-employed people would be able to participate.

This may well be true for industrial pharmaceuticals, but I don't think this is the case for delivering prescriptions to patients, it's already a gig economy job

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This may well be true for industrial pharmaceuticals, but I don't think this is the case for delivering prescriptions to patients, it's already a gig economy job

Gig economy people are paid which means bound by contract. This is very different.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't think Labour will get over 400 seats. They did it in 1997 when they had a charismatic leader but the main reason people will vote Labour is because they want the torys out not because they want Labour under Starmer.. 

I think you’re deluded tbh. The way this is going and they'll be close to 500.

The SNP are imploding in Scotland

The LibDems as they always do are concentrating heavily on the seats they can win (and after this weekend that number has got larger)

The Tories are currently running the worst election campaign known to the UK, with masses of people not standing and a huge 190 seats still without candidates

It’s actually hard to imagine Labour not getting North of 400 right now

Before Thursday I'd have considered myself mad for betting on the the LibDems to be the opposition after the election but 8/1 is looking like a real steal of a bet right now

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Before Thursday I'd have considered myself mad for betting on the the LibDems to be the opposition after the election but 8/1 is looking like a real steal of a bet right now

I put the poll questions in a specific order :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The single role he's come up with that isn't utterly ridiculous is delivery driver.  We don't have a shortage as it's an unskilled role, so we're spending loads of money to... Get people to work for free while taking away work from people who do it for an income? Great stuff.

Have you seen the insurance price for motor insurance for a policy that isn’t just Social Domestic and Pleasure for an 18 year old?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, limpid said:

Gig economy people are paid which means bound by contract. This is very different.

There's no reason you couldn't bind someone by contract in a voluntary capacity is there? But I think we're spending more time considering this than the Tories did :D

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think you’re deluded tbh. The way this is going and they'll be close to 500.

The SNP are imploding in Scotland

The LibDems as they always do are concentrating heavily on the seats they can win (and after this weekend that number has got larger)

The Tories are currently running the worst election campaign known to the UK, with masses of people not standing and a huge 190 seats still without candidates

It’s actually hard to imagine Labour not getting North of 400 right now

Deluded I'm a Labour voter and want them to get 500 but I'm not getting carried away.  Let's see the details behind the manifesto..Am I wrong in thinking that Galloways party wpb will get a lot of Muslim backers over their stance on Gaza. I hope they don't. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Deluded I'm a Labour voter and want them to get 500 but I'm not getting carried away.  Let's see the details behind the manifesto..Am I wrong in thinking that Galloways party wpb will get a lot of Muslim backers over their stance on Gaza. I hope they don't. 

It doesn’t matter who you’re voting for, under 400 is a narrow victory. There is literally zero evidence of that. I keep making bold statements about this (which is rather not my normal MO)

This will be the worst defeat the Tory Party have suffered since the 1918 RotP Act and probably a 100 years prior to that too. This will be much worse for them than 1997