Euro 2024: Final

limpid

12 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I remember one of his long balls forward that sailed into the opposition box and the keepers arms. The cameras focused on Ollie who is facing Pickford, gesticulating wildly and with both hands pointing to himself and saying "Aim for me! Aim for me!!"

Summed it up, really.

Maybe Ollie should have said, "Aim for the stands." He may have had more luck.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You expect good saves at that level. However, his distribution wouldn't have looked out of a place in a park. He just doesn't inspire confidence, and, for me, that is a prerequisite at international level. Everything about him is erratic.

He comes across as a really annoying character. If someone told me he wears sidepocket flares and platform shoes, I wouldn't be surprised. 

He's been in four tournaments now and barely made a mistake. That's an upgrade on what was in the 90s and 2000s.

Seaman was obviously a better premier league keeper but he had a nasty habit of misjudgements in tournaments, not just the Ronaldinho free kick but also needlessly rushing out and fouling Batistuta in 1998. Rob Green....🤦‍♂️

As ever the alternatives are o.k but not that much better, Ramsdale just spent a season warming the bench, Pope not rated as his distribution even worse and then you have Henderson and Sam Johnstone. Trafford won't come into contention for another year given he was out of his depth at prem level.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's been in four tournaments now and barely made a mistake. That's an upgrade on what was in the 90s and 2000s.

Seaman was obviously a better premier league keeper but he had a nasty habit of misjudgements in tournaments, not just the Ronaldinho free kick but also needlessly rushing out and fouling Batistuta in 1998. Rob Green....🤦‍♂️

As ever the alternatives are o.k but not that much better, Ramsdale just spent a season warming the bench, Pope not rated as his distribution even worse and then you have Henderson and Sam Johnstone. Trafford won't come into contention for another year given he was out of his depth at prem level.

"Barely made a mistake," did you see how many times he kicked it aimlessly? And he's the best we have in this Country. Let's hope the next manager sees things differently. As I said, it's not for no reason, he still resides at Goodison Park.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see the Guardian article that picked up on the Walker throw - in that cost us the momentum we had up until that diabolical decision by Walker. Incidentally, he's another who I hope calls it a day on the international scene. 

Story’s now leaking that nobody really liked Jude Bellingham in the England camp and the Adidas advert which portrayed him as England’s saviour / star pissed them all off.

not enough is being said about walker's hesitation in tackling cucurella

i don think he'll be dropped entirely from the squad but we do have to move on, especially seeing as we have TAA and a fair few RBs

that said i saw one of the papers give him an 8 for his performance in the final and said he was perfect in the first half

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not enough is being said about walker's hesitation in tackling cucurella

i don think he'll be dropped entirely from the squad but we do have to move on, especially seeing as we have TAA and a fair few RBs

that said i saw one of the papers give him an 8 for his performance in the final and said he was perfect in the first half

Walker is vice captain so if it’s anything like the status Kane has he will decide when and where he plays (regardless of form or fitness).

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Story’s now leaking that nobody really liked Jude Bellingham in the England camp and the Adidas advert which portrayed him as England’s saviour / star pissed them all off.

I can see it tbh. Strikes me as one of those really calm level headed guys...until something goes against him and he can be quite vindictive and confrontational.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

On his performances in this tournament, I am struggling to understand the hype surrounding Declan Rice. At times, last night, he looked out of his depth. 

Like a lot of England players, he can't really be judged overall on his England performances.

He's an absolutely brilliant midfielder for Arsenal. He's not for England.

See also Kane, Foden, Bellingham etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Like a lot of England players, he can't really be judged overall on his England performances.

he's better at arsenal, he's a great player tbf but the whole hype around him being world class is off the mark, he's not that good

said for a long time now he's not good enough to be getting the 80+ touches per game that his position in modern football now demands, saw one England game where he had 103 touches and then we wonder why we look a bit static and slow, he's simply not that player

England want Rice to basically be Kante for them, but that's not who he is and not how he plays for Arsenal at all. As a result, he's ineffective and by the end of the tournament was clearly knackered, hence numerous moments where he just started punting the ball away rather than trying to be clever with possession, which only hurt us further.

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

"Barely made a mistake," did you see how many times he kicked it aimlessly? And he's the best we have in this Country. Let's hope the next manager sees things differently. As I said, it's not for no reason, he still resides at Goodison Park.

Tbf I'd probably give Pope a run now as he's the only one who's played CL in the group of current keepers. However he had a really poor game against Germany just before the last World cup so has the feel of a solid prem keeper who would suddenly become a bag of nerves in major tournament, we've seen a few of those before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Walker won’t quit, he’s another with a massive ego.

He was close to retiring after the last World Cup so I do think him and Trippier could well step away.

Would finally give TAA a proper chance in his proper position. Then if Reece James can stay fit for five minutes he's an able deputy. Konsa should be a fixture in the squads now so he's a more defensive option. In the minority but I'd get Ben White back in the squad given it will be a new backroom team in a few months so perhaps his issues will be sorted then if Steve Holland isn't there to take the mick out of him.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I would take Kamara' over Rice every single day of the week. When it comes to that all important trait, "Composure", Rice, on Sunday, was found seriously wanting. I don't expect a midfielder, valued as much as he is, to panic when under pressure. At times, he was like a frightened rabbit caught in the headlights. 

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I would take Kamara' over Rice every single day of the week. When it comes to that all important trait, "Composure", Rice, on Sunday, was found seriously wanting. I don't expect a midfielder, valued as much as he is, to panic when under pressure. At times, he was like a frightened rabbit caught in the headlights. 

You could say the same about Foden. yet he's borderline world class for City

Rice isnt' like that when he plays for Arsenal.

A bit like when Kamara and others looked shit under Gerrard. Then lo and behold when we got a proper manager he looked great

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You could say the same about Foden. yet he's borderline world class for City

Rice isnt' like that when he plays for Arsenal.

A bit like when Kamara and others looked shit under Gerrard. Then lo and behold when we got a proper manager he looked great

You can't solely blame the manager for a player panicking when the ball comes to him. I expect a 100 million pound midfielder to demand the ball, regardless of the pressure. 

That's a lack of self - belief in your own ability. It's easy to look great when you're  the dominant side with all the possession, as is the case most times when he's playing for Arsenal. It's when you have to earn your territory, that's where the really good players make their mark, Rodri being a classic example. Sometimes you have to make things happen.

Bellingham may have disappointed, but he's never afraid to try and make things happen, even if they don't come off. There are moments when he oozes class. The fact is, you will never see Declan Rice in a Real Madrid shirt. 

Rice looked out of his depth in Champions League and Porto and Bayern made him look average and neither team were great. He was even at fault for Bayern goal that knocked them out

Good Premier League player but not technically good enough for the top level. If Rice was Spanish he would be an uncapped mid table player

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rice looked out of his depth in Champions League and Porto and Bayern made him look average and neither team were great. He was even at fault for Bayern goal that knocked them out

Good Premier League player but not technically good enough for the top level. If Rice was Spanish he would be an uncapped mid table player

Or playing for Ireland ;)

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If Rice was Spanish he would be an uncapped mid table player

Not like you to come out with some nonsense negative hyperbole about an English player...