Euro 2024: Final

limpid

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

That was weird. Start of the game we kick the ball from the centre spot directly back to the keeper who hoof’s it forward. Not even trying to play football. 

It was a tactic as the England players were nearly all on the halfway line to chase it down

Kick and Rush

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is absolutely infuriating. There seems to be a myth that Pickford has good distribution. He is **** terrible.

The number of times he had several options short where we could have kept the ball and he just lumps it forward to nobody is insane

It was clearly tactics to try to get a flick on over Cucerella or get Saka running in behind him.

Pickford can do the short passing stuff o.k generally.

Worst thing it was just hit and hope with no real strategy whereas when Spain hit it long there was always a player in the centre circle to bring the ball down, turn and start off a move.

We all go on about having more technical players so very depressing to see England going back to an early 90s percentage play style, everyone in Spain must've been laughing their heads off at facing that style in an actual final.

And it really wasn't much better in the other games.

• Like 1

To many of our team went missing. Mainoo, Foden and Bellingham were dreadful in our midfield so no surprise we lost. Surely Kane, Trippier and  Walker need to be not considered going forward.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It was clearly tactics to try to get a flick on over Cucerella or get Saka running in behind him.

Pickford can do the short passing stuff o.k generally.

Worst thing it was just hit and hope with no real strategy whereas when Spain hit it long there was always a player in the centre circle to bring the ball down, turn and start off a move.

We all go on about having more technical players so very depressing to see England going back to an early 90s percentage play style, everyone in Spain must've been laughing their heads off at facing that style in an actual final.

And it really wasn't much better in the other games.

Yep it was a tactical decision I imagine to beat Spain's press.

Which is fine in theory. We did it last season against Brighton and executed it brilliantly.

But when you can't kick it accurately and/or it's just immediately coming back to you, it should be clear to everyone that you need to try something slightly different

His comments in the post-match interview are incredibly surreal. How did no journo have the balls to confront him on the crap he was talking? Particularly in regard to why he persisted in playing injured and unfit players yet had a bench full of high quality players chomping at the bit to come on?!

Every average football fan could see what the problems were. His reasoning is so absurd, the FA should be questioning him big time.

Edited by maltesemike

Posted (edited)

The missus and I often go out for lunch on Mondays. Today we decided on a Spanish restaurant for tapas (it was excellent btw). I had a good chat about the match with the proprietor, told him that it would have been a travesty with any other result. We were both raving about Yamal and Williams. 

I had no emotional involvement in that game whatsoever (OK, apart from Ollie), and I rather enjoyed watching Spain's play. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mykeyb said:

To many of our team went missing. Mainoo, Foden and Bellingham were dreadful in our midfield so no surprise we lost. Surely Kane, Trippier and  Walker need to be not considered going forward.

Don't think i would write off Kane from England completely but needs to be shift in thinking to him as an option rather than a requirement.

At club level he is clearly still a very capable goalscorer at top level and could still be in 2 years. And we don't have all that many great striker options.

But he should only be in the team if he's fit and if he fits the tactics we are playing. It shouldn't just be automatic selection in XI based on being record goalscorer.

Yesterday he should've been on bench. Great option to bring on if we got to extra time: experienced head, good at pens. But he wasn't fit to start.

Guardian gave Pickford 8/10 for the tournament - praising his shot stopping but neglecting his diabolical distribution that cost us. Laughable. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Guardian gave Pickford 8/10 for the tournament - praising his shot stopping but neglecting his diabolical distribution that cost us. Laughable. 

He made two good saves in the final (even that said the lamal one was fairly routine and he should have made it) other than that I'm struggling to remember him doing much

England had hardly anything created against them, the xG both for and against must be shit 

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

Christ he's enjoying his retirement. 

Him and Sneijder have both relaxed after quitting the game 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He made two good saves in the final (even that said the lamal one was fairly routine and he should have made it) other than that I'm struggling to remember him doing much

England had hardly anything created against them, the xG both for and against must be shit 

The one save he made came from him needlessly giving the Spanish possession. 

Last night, for me, was ample evidence why he still plays for Everton. 

32 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The one save he made came from him needlessly giving the Spanish possession. 

Last night, for me, was ample evidence why he still plays for Everton. 

Was he under orders to go long though. His keeping I thought was good and I can remember a few key saves plus the penalty save. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Was he under orders to go long though. His keeping I thought was good and I can remember a few key saves plus the penalty save. 

You expect good saves at that level. However, his distribution wouldn't have looked out of a place in a park. He just doesn't inspire confidence, and, for me, that is a prerequisite at international level. Everything about him is erratic.

He comes across as a really annoying character. If someone told me he wears sidepocket flares and platform shoes, I wouldn't be surprised. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You expect good saves at that level. However, his distribution wouldn't have looked out of a place in a park. He just doesn't inspire confidence, and, for me, that is a prerequisite at international level. Everything about him is erratic.

He comes across as a really annoying character. If someone told me he wears sidepocket flares and platform shoes, I wouldn't be surprised. 

I remember one of his long balls forward that sailed into the opposition box and the keepers arms. The cameras focused on Ollie who is facing Pickford, gesticulating wildly and with both hands pointing to himself and saying "Aim for me! Aim for me!!"

Summed it up, really.

• Like 2