Euro 2024: Final

limpid

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm.afraid to say when you have to resort to Pickford booting the ball 60/70 yards up everytime he gets the ball you are going to give away possession a lot.

Time for a few of these players to call it a day as well as the manager.

We shouid be brave enough to play out from the back. Changed my mind on Rice. He's not a top class cdm. He's a solid but limited footballer 

Pickford smashed it out of play from the kick off. Was a sign of things to come

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Didn't say that. The manager is an issue also, but Stones, Rice, Kane, Foden and Bellingham, don't turn up for tournaments. I'm not trying to have an argument, just saying how it is

Kane shows up for tournaments to be fair, he was just clearly injured this one and plays for a manager who is terrified to drop him.

I agree with the others, but a lot of that has to fall at the feet of the manager.

Again I make comparisons to Gerrard's Villa. How many people were saying the players actually weren't that good and the quality of the squad was poor. Then we get a manager who actually knows what he's doing and surprise surprise, those players perform

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm.afraid to say when you have to resort to Pickford booting the ball 60/70 yards up everytime he gets the ball you are going to give away possession a lot.

This is absolutely infuriating. There seems to be a myth that Pickford has good distribution. He is **** terrible.

The number of times he had several options short where we could have kept the ball and he just lumps it forward to nobody is insane

I support England but can not stand Southgate. Weird feeling after yesterday, someone said about yesterday, that it was a victory for football, which I agree with. 

This Euros has been abysmal, most teams, England included, played absolutely horrendous football. Spain were one of the only teams that had any attacking intent about them - I'm hoping that their victory inspires more teams to actually attempt to attack next competition. Very impressed with Spain overall, who even though have a lot of quality, IMO not many of their players would be making the France or England squad. 

Abysmal competition

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I support England but can not stand Southgate. Weird feeling after yesterday, someone said about yesterday, that it was a victory for football, which I agree with. 

This Euros has been abysmal, most teams, England included, played absolutely horrendous football. Spain were one of the only teams that had any attacking intent about them - I'm hoping that their victory inspires more teams to actually attempt to attack next competition. Very impressed with Spain overall, who even though have a lot of quality, IMO not many of their players would be making the France or England squad. 

Abysmal competition

I agree with you. If England had somehow won the competition I think it would’ve been really bad for the game in general. 

What’s sad is that England could’ve won that tournament playing front foot attractive football but Southgate would prefer to get 10 men behind the ball and refuse to play. 

If England had gone out in the quarter finals to Slovakia it would probably have been a more fitting end for them. 

Having a familiar feeling of disappointment today after a final, often the same with Villa. We probably actually only played well for less than 90 minutes in the entire competition. We had a very favorable draw and fluked our way to the final. Unfortunately, we then had to play an good side and were outplayed and deserved to lose.  Spain must be odds on to win the world cup given the age of the squad. Englad need to go back to the drawing board, let Southgate go and have a serious think aboit keeping Kane as our number 1 striker.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The luck was always going to run out. Abysmal stats and that’s down to the coaching.

Before the tournament there was a stat of how many goals each squad had scored for their clubs and England were way out in front.

To go from that to what we saw for England is almost impressive.

10 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I know the knives are (rightly) out for Southgate, but I was impressed by Spain's ability to keep the ball but move it quickly.

Couple that with their pressing game and I'm not sure England would have had it that much easier with a better manager.

reminded me a lot of emery's villa.

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The luck was always going to run out. Abysmal stats and that’s down to the coaching.

They weren't, but it was the build up play that led to it. Southgate's tactic of long balls, no pressing,  no transition plan, and general defence first mindset. 

Our forwards would get the ball with men all around them because we've let the opposition set their defence. They'd have other England players in their way because Southgate insisted on picking two number 10s and a wing back that can't overlap. It was a complete tactics disasterclass.

And yet we fluked our way to the final through a sequence of absolute wonder strikes that came out of nowhere. 

Wasted generation.

• Like 1

Spain won all 7 games they played and beat England, Croatia, Germany, France and Italy along the way

Has a team ever won a tournament beating such big name opponents

• Like 1

Difficult to compare but Germany had a pretty hard road to the 2014 WC gold. Beating Portugal, France, Brazil & Argentina.

• Like 2

Overall I was disappointed by the quality of the tournament. Yes there was a few fun games in the group stages and Spain V France was of high quality but overall it now feels like a bloated afterthought to the season when most of the so called star players would frankly prefer a rest after a year playing in an elite league plus champions league football.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

How can you play counter attacking football when your outlet has no pace and basically couldn’t run?

Clearly Kane should not have started in any of the Euro games if that’s how Southgate wanted to play. Watkins should have been played from the start with pace on the flanks. England had that in the squad but Southgate refused to use it.

When you look at how Dani Olmo played for Spain why didn’t Southgate play Wharton or bring him on for Bellingham when he was clearly exhausted early in the second half? I was so impressed with Wharton when Southgate brought him on against Iceland. Immediately made England tick and move forward. That performance got him into the Euro squad yet he was never used.

Eze was totally under used as well. When he did come on in previous games he found himself positioned mainly as a wing back.

In fact in my humble opinion England had a better team left on the bench than the usual starting eleven!

I also feel the draw favoured Southgate not only in this tournament but in previous tournaments as well hence his record. That record would suggest he has been the most successful England manager ever but when you look deeper into those fixtures and results in tournament football whenever England have faced a top international team they invariably lose! 

There was a suggestion made on this morning news programmes that Southgate should be knighted. Like really? Do other countries reward failure?

For me Southgate has been a failure. He had plenty of time to find a way of playing before the Euros started yet was still experimenting within the tournament. He compounded that mistake further by leaving most of his flair players benched while not being brave enough to drop his main striker who couldn’t fit into Southgate’s counter attacking football.

We marvelled how Spain played throughout the tournament playing a 16 year old boy (now 17) and other younger players having discarded their ‘old guard.’ 

England could have done the same but Southgate wasn’t brave enough to go for total change instead repeating the mistake of caution first and to hell with pass and move football.

Lets hope the next England manager is more courageous because England do have the players coming through to play more attractive football.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pickford smashed it out of play from the kick off. Was a sign of things to come

That was weird. Start of the game we kick the ball from the centre spot directly back to the keeper who hoof’s it forward. Not even trying to play football. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Overall I was disappointed by the quality of the tournament. Yes there was a few fun games in the group stages and Spain V France was of high quality but overall it now feels like a bloated afterthought to the season when most of the so called star players would frankly prefer a rest after a year playing in an elite league plus champions league football.

Next World cup will be worse. 48 teams so will be a five week tournament. You've also got club World cup next summer when players are desperate for a rest.

Football is slowly killing itself now. More games just to see fewer teams knocked out after two weeks.

Just played the Copa America in US and temperatures were nearly 40 degrees for afternoon games, that wasn't an issue in Germany.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1