Euro 2024: Final

limpid

Same old story from Southgate. Ultra reactive. Completely incapable of controlling a game. Only changed things when he’s forced to. 

Time for change

• Like 3

Starting Kane no matter what utterly bizarre but not unexpected. Everyone can see he was cooked apart from Gareth. Just couldn't bring himself to have that honest convo with him. The whole squad not utilised properly. Future is bright though.

• Like 3

Just give Spain the World Cup now. They've got Gavi and Pedri to come back into this side. If they stumble on a better striker than Morata its over for all us

England very weak finalists 

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Point is Its not a great Spain team. Its not Spain 2010 which all Spanish players are compared to

How many of that Spain team gets in the 2010 team?

Thank you.

This was my point entirely.

Shame a few completely failed to understand an obvious point.

This Spanish team may well be very good in 2/4/6 years, but their time wasn't exactly NOW.

And they still managed to humble us, relatively easily! 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same old story from Southgate. Ultra reactive. Completely incapable of controlling a game. Only changed things when he’s forced to. 

Time for change

Bit reactive that

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Just give Spain the World Cup now. They've got Gavi and Pedri to come back into this side. If they stumble on a better striker than Morata its over for all us

England very weak finalists 

Japan 2-1 Spain (1 Dec, 2022) Final Score - ESPN (UK)

Japan beat arguably a stronger Spain team in last World Cup. Had no recollection of Nico Williams actually featuring for them in last World Cup. Also had Rodri at CB and Azpilicueta starting for some reason over Carvajal.

Just like Italy in last euros it clicked nicely for them in the group stages with the supreme balance they had between control and pace and just continued doing those things in the knock outs.

I know the knives are (rightly) out for Southgate, but I was impressed by Spain's ability to keep the ball but move it quickly.

Couple that with their pressing game and I'm not sure England would have had it that much easier with a better manager.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Ahhh I see.

So nothing to do with the defensive coach who you wouldn't want anywhere near Villa

Didn't say that. The manager is an issue also, but Stones, Rice, Kane, Foden and Bellingham, don't turn up for tournaments. I'm not trying to have an argument, just saying how it is

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

And when he beat him, he threw himself to the floor. Overhyped beyond belief

He didn't tbf but OK.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

And when he beat him, he threw himself to the floor. Overhyped beyond belief

Hmm.. I saw the opposite. That pathetic "he's broken my jaw! Oooooowwww!" act from him a good example.

Rambling thoughts.

Southgate has done great to get us to where we are in World Football now - is getting rid the answer? I'm not so sure - hard to argue with his record. The players have a lot to answer for too, we have had some great moments this tournament, Ollie goal the highlight for obvious reasons, but it reminded me of Man Utd the past couple of seasons - rely on moments from your front 4 to get you through the games. 

We keep saying this squad is being wasted with Southgate as manager, but is it. How many get in the 2002/04/06/08 squads and sides? Not many for me. None of the defence, rice/mainoo/trent over stevie and lamps/scholesy - LOL. Kane over Rooney even? I'm not so sure..

Spain deserved winners, which makes it easier to stomach.  Two best midfielders at the tournament (Rodri/Ruiz), Two most exciting players (Nico/Yamal), and just all round excellent. Exciting, so good defensively - shut us down constantly, restricted the space for us to move the ball quickly. 

Should we have been braver? in/out of possession, not starting Kane or dropping players clearly not in form, braver on the ball (my initial thoughts is rice being braver and passing forward more). 

Ending with we got the Final again, so proud of the boys, and really feel for them and Gareth. We go again next tournament. 

• Like 1

I just watched the highlights. No surprise that Southgate started Kane again over Ollie. What a clown. 

I've never watched Guehi play before, and based on what I saw, how the hell does he start over Konsa? He let Yamal drift inside and slot a pass to the wide-open Williams. (who should have been helping mark Williams there, Saka?)

But much worse than Guehi backing off Yamal was his lazy tracking on the winning goal. Disinterested defending, and that is inexcusable in a cup final that is all equal with 4 minutes left in regulation. Did he otherwise have a good tournament? Was his selection justified? Not impressed at all with Guehi, at least in critical moments.

Salt in the wound was when he headed straight at the defender in stoppage time when all he needed to do was direct the ball across goal.

The highlights suggested that Spain dominated, for at least the first half anyway? And Kane didn't do anything?

Hard to criticize Pickford for the Williams goal, but I tell you what, Dibu gets down quicker and stops that, 100%.

This current collection of England players has been good enough to not only win Euro 2024, but Euro 2020, and the last World Cup. But the talent has been squandered by a rigid manager who lacks the savvy and guts to think outside his own self-imposed restraints. The players made it to consecutive Euro finals, DESPITE Southgate.

If Dean Smith was manager for the last three tournaments, England would have won at least one of them, I'm convinced of that. Deano would have let the players play freer and more to their individual strengths, and he'd have benched ineffective players much sooner than Southgate.

Smith or Howe would be my top 2 choices for the England job, but they won't even interview Smith because he's not fashionable.

• Like 2

Spain deserved to win the tourny, they were the team with the most chemistry from the get go.

I do think we have a better squad than them man for man. But they've played far better than we have.

Sometimes, you just have to say fair play. 

• Like 1