Euro 2024: Final

limpid

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Simon did it a few times during the match. Difference was one of the midfielders immediately realised the area he was going to put it into (the centre circle) and got into position to pick up the ball (under little pressure).

Pickford's kicks were just hit and hope that Bellingham or Toney in his brief moments would just flick something on. A very 90s/2000s style of play that English Football just can't seem to rid itself of.

Yeah, a FEW times is OK, to be encouraged to mix it up even. But with Pickford it's almost constant. To be honest I'd blame Southgate. I'm sure he's only done what he's told to. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think that's harsh 

Olmo, yamal and Williams are probably the best footballers in the tournament, they're a level above every other team and deserve this 100%

Classic team, best of all time definitely not but head and shoulders above everyone else 

Point is Its not a great Spain team. Its not Spain 2010 which all Spanish players are compared to

How many of that Spain team gets in the 2010 team?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Simon did it a few times during the match. Difference was one of the midfielders immediately realised the area he was going to put it into (the centre circle) and got into position to pick up the ball (under little pressure).

Pickford's kicks were just hit and hope that Bellingham or Toney in his brief moments would just flick something on. A very 90s/2000s style of play that English Football just can't seem to rid itself of.

It's no wonder we can't get rid of it with Holland and Southgate in charge? Two old white blokes who look like they think Benidorm is exotic.

Just now, sidcow said:

Yeah, a FEW times is OK, 5o be encouraged to mix it up even. But with Pickford it's almost constant. To be honest I'd blame Southgate. I'm sure he's only done what he's told to. 

He does it for Everton but it's Dyche and he does have all of Branthwaite, Tarkowski, Onana, Doucoure and DCL to hit.

Reminds me of a big Sam team and the keeper taking free kicks from the halfway line.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some UK pundits/morons called him the bargain of the season

He was massively exposed in Champions League when Goretzka dominated him and he is not welcome at Bayern

I think me you and a few others said this for a few years now, rice is ok, he's not a bad footballer but you compare him to top table modern DMCs and you give him 80+ touches of the ball per game you're **** laughing if you think he's that level

I'm sure I saw last week he was on 100+ touches of the ball for England, he's not good enough for that 

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Point is Its not a great Spain team. Its not Spain 2010 which all Spanish players are compared to

In fairness that was one of the greatest International teams of all time with what they achieved. Midfield of Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta and David Silva is cheat mode. They had to play Fabregas as false 9 just to get him in the team and he was one of the best prem CMs at the time.

Any nation had has a pressing and quick passing midfield and two quick wide players will always cause England issues, was same with Italy in last Euros.

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southgate nearly in tears being interviewed. 

I'd be shocked of he stays, he's a broken man, who needs to realise he's taken us as far as he can!

96 penalty miss in manager form....

The bottom line is, in Tournament football, you need to utilise the squad and have different tactics. 

In a short space of time, you play teams with totally different styles of play, levels of press etc... 

Every single match, we had the same players starting. The only changes made were Gallagher/Mainoo/Arnold because he didn't have a clue which one would work, Konsa for Guehi which was a suspension and then bringing Shaw in. 

It's clear Southgate has no idea about tactics and we need a manager who is not hell bent on just playing the same 11, no matter the opposition, and hoping it works. 

IMO we played one good side in this whole thing and that was tonight v Spain. And we spent 60mins of it playing with 10 men because of Kane. 

Hopefully that's it for Southgate and a few of these players. 

• Like 4

Spain were worthy winners. What impressed me most about them is that they play to their strengths. No amazing striker? Don't worry we'll just play through you or rip you apart on the wings. Defensively questionable fullbacks? We'll just press you high up and smother you.

I don't think we should play like Spain to get better, but we could start by playing to our strengths too.

• Like 4

Pretty shocking that Foden played nearly every minute, took most of our set pieces and didn't register a goal or assist all tournament. Generally kept the ball well, but for a player who got nearly 40 goals + assists combined for City, you'd expect much more. Southgate just turned him into his new Mason Mount.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But that's not how football works

It's not a Spain squad thats as good as 2010 but it's still a Spain squad that comfortably the best football team in 2024

And it's not it even close

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Could say the same about Italy but they won it.

Maybe it's the winning metality built in, instead of Southgate just wanting to  love everyone.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nearly all of them! That 2010 team are f**king old now

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He's alright as a shot stopper and no-one is asking him to be a playmaker, just give it to feet to someone who can get us going forwards and keep the ball.

Absolutely, but you have to wonder how much of this was Southgate's instructions. "They get it off us too easily. Just go long...""

• Like 1