Euro 2024: Final

limpid

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Two finals (one at home) against beatable opposition, you wonder if England will ever get better chances.

The luck of the draw we've had in recent years is a generational event I fear.

Although if you are good enough it doesn't matter, look at Spains run to lift this.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

All of these nations have big players, difference is England's don't turn up, mostly because they are so arrogant and think these wins will just drop into their laps

Ahhh I see.

So nothing to do with the defensive coach who you wouldn't want anywhere near Villa

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say its arrogance, I just think its lack of a top quality manager/coach. 

100% this is on the manager 

Next week we've got every man and his dog saying these players aren't good enough, they are - and don't get me wrong Spain have class players too - but so many underperformers here it's got to be the manager, even if it boils down to foden wasn't good enough, he wasn't good enough 6 games ago and he still starts, any manager worth his salt mixes it up

Did we end the tournament with least players used? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't say its arrogance, I just think its lack of a top quality manager/coach. 

And overrated by the press.

Apart from Palmer, i'm struggling to think of an England player who really impressed me throughout the tournament.

The players are there, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Eze, Saka all have potential to be top quality

• Like 1

England couldn't handle the press. It seemed like their best attacks came off goal kicks or other situations where Spain wasn't pressing.

I'd rather put Villa's backline out there to get around that press. Of course, it may be telling that the leader of our backline last year was Spanish.

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Apart from Palmer, i'm struggling to think of an England player who really impressed me throughout the tournament.

The players are there, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Eze, Saka all have potential to be top quality

I think Guehi was very good throughout the tournament.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He'll be recreating it over and over again for the next few seasons. Good and all as he is, his first touch isn't exactly elite. 

Knackers, two touch goal in the last game showed an incredible first touch.

• Like 1

And it can't be the manager and shit tactics?

After what you've just watched in the last month? It's the players being overrated?

Not a chance 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I genuinely believe if he brings ollie and palmer straight on 45 mins 2nd half we win that.

Yeah. it felt the same last time with Grealish. Just feel like once again we didn't play all the cards we had. and the ones we did play, were too late. 

Southgate done well to get us to finals, whatever we think of him, no-one's done that for decades. But he's just not proactive enough and it cost us in these games. Fact is, we may not get these chances again for decades.

They need to allow them to play how they play at their clubs. You'll be at least half way thete then!

All this is on Southgate. 

England lost this on tactics. The tactics were poor all tournament. England barely controlled any of the games, barely had answers to teams that attack well, barely had any answers to teams that defend well. 

Barely any shots all tournament, a lot less on target. Despite the attacking talent at England’s disposal. 

England shat them selves all the way to the final. Getting through each round with incredible luck and individual brilliance. 

Southgate is a fraud. Always has been and most of his tournament success was due to fortunate draws, poor teams, or big countries that going through transitional periods or having a poor generation 

Best English squad in a long time, let down by antiquated conservative tactics and poor decision making by a manager who’s only real success was to relegate Middlesbrough. 

Oh well, another final. Well done. Raise Sir Garath 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Kane should be ashamed of his performance tonight. 

That was pathetic. 

Something wasn't right with him all tournament and he just looked so crap and when your captain is off form / doesn't move it's obviously a massive problem. Should have been dropped a lot earlier but played just because he is Harry Kane.

• Like 1