Euro 2024: Final

limpid

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Spain have performed better in their tournament but man for man I’d say England are the better side.   Yes, Cucurella plays for them.  Just be interesting to see how we’re managed.

Cucurella has been abaoslutely excellent this tournament. One of their best players

I can't believe we've made it this far. We've been lucky with some of the moments we've had, and I've been really critical of the players and the manager. But damn it, I find myself daring to believe. I love football.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

I think Shaw was given so long because he's desperate to get him up to speed for the final.

Kane has been absolutely awful all tournament, but unless he's so injured he can't play, he'll start.
England would be far better without him at the moment, but he's the first name on the teamsheet

There’s just not a chance the England captain is being dropped for a major tournament final. Not a chance!

My dislike of Southgate's brand of football and his instance on playing Mount far too much in the last Euros , seeing  McGuire and Henderson on the team sheet baring death  ,4 right backs in every game  , meant I didn't watch England in the World cup  and haven't watched them so far in the Euros 

I'll feel a bit of hypocrite if I now tune in to watch the final  .. equally having never seen England win anything in my life time ,I'll feel a bit of chump if I don't 

maybe I can pretend I like watch the Spanish team play and get around it that way ...

Shaw definitely to start - play him till he's knackered - the balance is so much better. Sadly Kane will start too. The obvious thing to do is start with Ollie, switch to Toney if not winning with 15 to go for a more route 1 option and bring on Kane for pens after cheerleading from the bench. But that won't happen, so we'll have to have him stink out the place for 80 minutes instead before Gareth flips a coin for which of Watkins and Toney comes on.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is one player. In that case Mainoo, Pickford, Guehi or Trippier wouldnt get near the Spain squad

Maybe not but Mainoo is a really good player and hes just 19

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My dislike of Southgate's brand of football and his instance on playing Mount far too much in the last Euros , seeing  McGuire and Henderson on the team sheet baring death  ,4 right backs in every game  , meant I didn't watch England in the World cup  and haven't watched them so far in the Euros 

I'll feel a bit of hypocrite if I now tune in to watch the final  .. equally having never seen England win anything in my life time ,I'll feel a bit of chump if I don't 

maybe I can pretend I like watch the Spanish team play and get around it that way ...

You're overthinking things. Just watch it and  support England even if you don't like the manager. Who knows we may not reach another final for 30 years. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

There’s just not a chance the England captain is being dropped for a major tournament final. Not a chance!

Yep I agree

He needs to be hooked by the 60th minute if he performs like he has all tournament though.

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Just forget about your opinion of the manager and enjoy it, would be my advice

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Mainoo is lightyears ahead of whatever England were attempting with TAA in the groups, big reason why England dominated the central areas for an hour. Foden was finally picking up the ball in central areas and getting shots and passes away.

Spain is completely different prospect though with Rodri and Olmo if you do manage to shut down the wide players.

I just can't see Southgate coming up with an effective enough gameplan to shut Spain down so it's going to have to be an extreme low block and try to create stuff against Spain's high line and take those chances when it comes.

I'd be surprised if Spain don't score twice at least v this England setup.

26 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Another reason why pundits saying Gareth's changes have always been right.

It was obvious we needed Mainoo in there before the tournament started. I get he's young and it's a bit of a risk. but if he's good enough he's old enough.

It still took Gareth a few games to stumble upon playing Mainoo there. And he's been one of our best players.

To think we started with **** Trent Alexander-Arnold there is hilarious

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Spain have performed better in their tournament but man for man I’d say England are the better side.   Yes, Cucurella plays for them.  Just be interesting to see how we’re managed.

I said after/during the first Spain game that Saka could rip Cucurella apart. That will be where we can get some joy, I think. That said, unfortunately I just don't see how we can win it. I reaally hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cucurella has been abaoslutely excellent this tournament. One of their best players

It's not as if he's a stop-gap either, he's played well enough that he's kept the best left-back in Europe last season on the bench for nearly the whole tournament. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

It's not as if he's a stop-gap either, he's played well enough that he's kept the best left-back in Europe last season on the bench for nearly the whole tournament. 

Yep, he's been brilliant

Spain have been the best team in the tournament by a distance. England have stunk the tournament out and got to the final after about a total of 90 minutes good performance across every match combined.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Let's make it interesting. 

Spain wins, they get Gibraltar. 

England wins, we get Benidorm. 

Oooooh. Stakes. This shit just got interesting. I'll take your Benidorm and raise you a Fuerteventura.