Euro 2024: Final

limpid

10 minutes ago, Brum_Aus_Villan said:

Rambling thoughts.

Southgate has done great to get us to where we are in World Football now - is getting rid the answer? I'm not so sure - hard to argue with his record.

We got to the final despite his crap tactics, his record is good because England played lots of low level teams, his record against top 20 ranked teams is not very good at all, overall he is a massive under acgiever.

• Like 3

You can’t just rock up to a final and play a completely different way, we were shit the whole tournament and Spain were great. When it mattered that was what made the difference. The coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Who would have thought our luck would run out.

Honestly relying on moments of magic is just a sign of a lack of intelligence and bottle I feel. It's like how a kid would approach football; "play our best players and one of them will come up with something to win the game".

Without even knowing anything about football, you can probably intuit that having control of the game will lead to a higher probability of coming out on top. Even coming from basketball, a sport that's more "star-centric" and where moments of magic are more prominent, you know the importance of coaching and play-calling. Guys like Southgate and Gerrard are just dumb and incurious, is the only conclusion I can draw.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

He's gotta go, I actually think he's done a good job getting england consistently into latter stages of tournies but at the same time it does seem like he's not capable of improving the team further beyond that.

4 hours ago, Podster said:

We got to the final despite his crap tactics, his record is good because England played lots of low level teams, his record against top 20 ranked teams is not very good at all, overall he is a massive under acgiever.

Absolutely appreciate where he has got us, a proper unit, a team that relishes pens, but we have no discernible style of play, nothing to fall back on. Its like gerrard era waiting for moments of magic. 

We get dominated by good footballing sides every single time. 

Time for him to step down, his record against top 10 is like 4 wins in 24 matches. Thats nowhere near good enough and shows why we fail in semis and finals as thats where we’re playing these bigger, better teams.

Ive been pro southgate for england for ages as he has changed us, but its time to go. With the squad we have theres no more excuses

Edited by spiezels
  • Like 2

It's mental, the players we have, we should be able to play like Spain did, but we play like we have a team full of cloggers!

We have world class talent and it has shown in little bits (mostly when we went behind)

What is the take home is Kane is going to share the golden boot and he has stunk the tournament out!! 

Still wondering why I was subjected to Kyle Walker playing every single minute of every single game, despite getting cooked in most of them and having 3 sprints in him max.

"He's still absolutely rapid."

Bro, he runs eithe forward or back once every hour.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He didn't, Saka had the beating of him a few times.

Should have been doubling up on that side all the time, tell Bellingham to push over that way too when there was a chance of an overload, only time we really did it Walker got innto a great position on the overlap and they looked rattled. Southgate didn't want players to push forward though, at one point first half Bellingham was telling Shaw to push up to press, he was reluctant and came late and got left in no mans land when Bellingham had pressed. Either they both go or no-one does so maybe a bit Bellingham's fault if he knows Shaw has been told to stay put by Southgate but still, the point is the instruction to stay put is what **** us in this tournament. None of our players play in teams that play like that, football has moved on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Croatia didn’t have the draw Southgate always gets.

I don’t think he has moved us on at all, it’s all obscured by not having to play the better teams.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Croatia didn’t have the draw Southgate always gets.

I don’t think he has moved us on at all, it’s all obscured by not having to play the better teams.

Yeah the stat is an indictment of England/Southgate 

• Like 1

I'm.afraid to say when you have to resort to Pickford booting the ball 60/70 yards up everytime he gets the ball you are going to give away possession a lot.

Time for a few of these players to call it a day as well as the manager.

We shouid be brave enough to play out from the back. Changed my mind on Rice. He's not a top class cdm. He's a solid but limited footballer 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm.afraid to say when you have to resort to Pickford booting the ball 60/70 yards up everytime he gets the ball you are going to give away possession a lot.

Time for a few of these players to call it a day as well as the manager.

We shouid be brave enough to play out from the back. Changed my mind on Rice. He's not a top class cdm. He's a solid but limited footballer 

What I call a nothing player.

If you’re making a list of things he does exceptionally well it’s hard to think of even 1 thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

1 touch in the box every 2 games probably isn't far off what he did in the entire tournament this time around. It was absolutely infuriating to watch

We got to the final despite Gareth Southgate, and despite Harry Kane.

The fact nobody is angry or devastated this morning speaks volumes. Podcasts like Lineker chuckling, mates just accepting.

Maybe it's getting older but I remember being devastated, national mourning after getting knocked out.

There just seems to be an air of "yeah, we're shit, no surprise. Gareth is a loser.  Move on"

That's the levels he's sunk us to , despite two (lucky) finals.

We're dreadful and Gareth absolutely has not earned the right to 'decide his own future'

• Like 1

That was like a repeat of an old movie, we all knew the end, but we still watched it.

We hoped it would come home, despite not because of the manager, but it was never going to was it? We have the players, but those he chose to take, were lions led by a donkey. His negative tactics somehow got us to another final, but they don't see you win things. He has to go now or another "golden generation" of players will be wasted. Bring in Poch or Klopp now, problem is the FA will ask him to stay and so his departure will be his decision alone, he always was the "safe" appointment for the FA (like Greenwood & Hodgson were before him) and he still is!:rolleyes:

It's not coming home - GIF - Imgur

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Still wondering why I was subjected to Kyle Walker playing every single minute of every single game, despite getting cooked in most of them and having 3 sprints in him max.

"He's still absolutely rapid."

Bro, he runs eithe forward or back once every hour.

Its usually sad watching a once great player get destroyed by time

Not for this scumbag, so enjoyable watch him get beat time and time again 

• Like 2