Euro 2024: Final

limpid

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Kane, yes. Trippier, no. 

Shaw will start, he had pretty much 50 minutes tonight so will probably have enough to manage an hour on Sunday.

That will be the only change.

I did not expect us to have a role to play in this game. Feels good that we do, and I'm maybe slightly deluded in thinking that Southgate might just have learnt something from tonight that helps us against Spain.

Spain have performed better in their tournament but man for man I’d say England are the better side.   Yes, Cucurella plays for them.  Just be interesting to see how we’re managed.

• Like 2

Kane will definitely start and probably rightly so. Let Watkins be a menace off the bench but give him more time.

We need to keep Spain at bay for as long as possible. Id be pretty worried if we took the lead early on as I am sure we'll just end up on defence mode.

Id play the same team v Spain but just not sure on whether I'd play Trippier or Shaw. I dont think either can deal with Jamal.

Posted (edited)

First, the match: Spain is a much better team than ours when we're caged. No comparison. Uncaged, I think we have a chance. In terms of game play, I would expect another trench-warfare match that will often feel like a stalemate. There will be no blowout. 2-2 in ET then England by pens.

Secondly, the impacts: After this final, win or lose, many more people are going to know who Aston Villa are, and it can't but help club revenues or at least open some opportunities. A win is better. But I also think England success and its timing helps Villa on the transfer market generally. Yes. Absolutely. Markets are crazy, and this will inflate our players' values although admittedly that's easy to say and impossible to measure. The magic of Ollie by association will spread out. It's not the main thing I'm thinking about, but I love seeing when Aston Villa and England come together in the same frame in various ways. Ollie's goal, yes, wow, but Ezri is now also an essential international, too. At one point vs. Netherlands, our club was second only to Man City and Chelsea on the pitch by club. Think about that. That is a big deal. I like. Maybe one day, Morgan Rogers. Through a Villa-centric lens, I can't imagine a better tournament opponent apart from Belgium, but Spain will attract more viewers. Not sure why Pau Torres wasn't selected for Spain.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 12.20.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 12.32.05 AM.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Spain are the better team but Morata wouldn't get anywhere near the England squad. Our name is on it. 

He is one player. In that case Mainoo, Pickford, Guehi or Trippier wouldnt get near the Spain squad

9 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Spain will absolutely hump us

I swear I read this before the Holland game, oh and the Swiss game too

In the final now, one off game. Come on lads, can’t wait!  

8 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

I booked tickets and my flights from Chicago. Got my Dad on a flight from Bristol to meet me.

Once in a lifetime innit

Or twice in 3 years ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Kane, yes. Trippier, no. 

Agreed.

I think Shaw was given so long because he's desperate to get him up to speed for the final.

Kane has been absolutely awful all tournament, but unless he's so injured he can't play, he'll start.
England would be far better without him at the moment, but he's the first name on the teamsheet

• Like 1