Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

England were the better side and dominated that match for large periods, especially in the first half. Neither side could make a breakthrough until the manager brought on two players who combined to score the winner on 91 mins. 

If he was a manager you liked you’d say he was a genius. 

D10C2E11-6F57-4E07-9089-5AD978080E5B.gif.9bdbb4b5b9149ab29f06720a1e2f1ff4.gif

Think what a lot of people have missed is,

Southgate made a huge mistake at halftime,

The first half Trippier was very brave, he pinned Dumfries in and gave him no chance to attack at all,

Second half Shaw comes on, the poor guy is obviously not fit, he couldn't pass the halfway line.

• Like 4

Just now, pete101 said:

Think what a lot of people have missed is,

Southgate made a huge mistake at halftime,

The first half Trippier was very brave, he pinned Dumfries in and gave him no chance to attack at all,

Second half Shaw comes on, the poor guy is obviously not fit, he couldn't pass the halfway line.

Actually I'm going to double down, as a neutral looking on Trippier seems to be the Scape goat of this whole squad, the lad is not perfect but he puts a shift in

5 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Actually I'm going to double down, as a neutral looking on Trippier seems to be the Scape goat of this whole squad, the lad is not perfect but he puts a shift in

He can defend, but he can't cross for shit.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

England were the better side and dominated that match for large periods, especially in the first half. Neither side could make a breakthrough until the manager brought on two players who combined to score the winner on 91 mins. 

If he was a manager you liked you’d say he was a genius. 

And more people may yet. I mean, people do change perspectives based on what they see before them, too. At worst, couldn't it be said that he has done a good job of staging some skin-of-the-teeth and serendipitous moments of magic? That's not a small thing. He knew enough to get Ollie and Ezri on the plane.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

On 09/07/2024 at 22:15, Talldarkandransome said:

Williams and Yamal will run rings around Shaw or Trippier

This remains very true after tonights game. 

Southgate can take a fair bit of credit for tonight's win. I hate him and I'm one of his biggest critics here.... But he's done a few things tonight that warrant a bit of praise. 

We started the game with confidence and dominated the first half. A stupid error costs us a goal, but we didn't let our heads drop.

Shaw proved he isn't fit, but the change was theoretically a good one to try and get us more openings. It didn't work out that way, but the theory was right.

The subs of Palmer and Watkins were late, but they did come with more time then the previous game when he subbed on Toney with 2 minutes to go. Steps in the right direction.

I have zero confidence he'll be able to set us up in a way to beat Spain, and even if he does, I think their offence is just too threatening for our defence and terrible keeper to cope with.

But if he did manage to beat them,  he'd deserve the praise because it can only happen with a masterclass.

Edited by MrBlack

That early Dutch goal was better for us than them. The kick we needed. Watched a different team tonight and actually enjoyed the game. Unbelievable Jeff!

Edited by birdman
  • Like 1

Nice touch from the BBC highlights show. On the finishing montage they ended with a clip of Ollie, with the penultimate one of Graham Taylor. 👏

• Like 1

Watkins and Konsa were on the pitch together for the last few minutes of the match...can anyone think of the last time two Villans were on the pitch at the same time for England at a major tournament?

2 hours ago, Rich_H said:

Fly to Nerja, Spain on Sunday morning - question is Villa shirt or inconspicuous and find a corner 😂

Wow, I used to live in Nerja, I'v never come across anyone else who has heard of it, it's a great place, have a great holls.

3 hours ago, Podster said:

Wow, I used to live in Nerja, I'v never come across anyone else who has heard of it, it's a great place, have a great holls.

We’ve been a couple of times now, lovely place, other than the jellyfish which seem to swarm the sea every time we’re there

I absolutely love the last 4 seconds of the BBC highlights. They show a shot of Koeman (who ended Sir Graham Taylor as England manager with the help of a bent ref) then a shot of SGT smiling and then our Ollie Watkins.

I think someone who put that together really knows their stuff.

• Like 3