Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Bari... whatever happened to them! Haven't they gone bust multiple times since. 

I still remember their sponsor - Sud Factoring wasn't it? 

I recall they had a red and white kit but that’s all. They play in Serie B currently 

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Another decent performance, bit sideways and backwards but we looked in control for most of it and now it’s down to a one off game.

Southgates draws as a manager though are unbelievably lucky though 

That was a well earned victory, against not a bad side.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its very similar to the David Platt moment in 1990.

As is the way of things and Villa players in the national team.

i recall an article in the Sunday Times, I think it was Brian Granville ( a very respected journalist) saying what on earth are England doing taking a player like Platt to the Finals!!!

Typical! No respect for players who are not their favoured ones.

Hopefully the current Villa structure can put this mentality behind us.

UTV

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jacob Steinberg in the guardian:

When Southgate took Kane off for Watkins, nobody could have imagined the impact the striker would make.”

I not only never had any problem imagining it today, but for the entire tournament. That's one thing I think just about every VTer had been imagining all too well for days.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I've been critical of him up to today's game. However, credit where it's due. You can't hold him responsible for the team playing poor, and then begrudge him the compliments when the team play well. That, to me, is petty. Those substitutions worked a treat, and for that, he should be applauded. 

? He got lucky because despite england being in almost total control in the first half and only needing to make 1 sub at half time, he brought Shaw on and left kane in. Shaw did little if anything team wise and kane was terrible. Our 2nd half performance was worse due to the wrong subs.

Trippier wasn't great but the team as a collective was far better than when Shaw came on.

The only sub that needed making was watkins for kane, the team were doing well.

So not sure how you have come to the conclusion I even intimated that I begrudge the manager for the team playing well ? 

Looks like you've made that up on your own.

22 minutes ago, NorthernGordon said:

Who else feels like a proud Dad? :D 

Me! I was in a pub in Market Harborough Leicestershire, which is foxes territory and I called for Watkins when everyone else in the pub wanted Toney. I have not felt so proud since that Platt volley against Belgium. So proud, nice one Ollie.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England will play very deep in this so don't think Kane pressing or not actually matters too much.

Game will be decided out wide ultimately.

Sadly it's not even kane pressing, it's like today, 1st half multiple times we had a break on with 1 ball, unfortunately that ball was never played as kane was no where near or not making the run or facing the wrong way.

It's been a long season for him, I'm sure he is tired, it's certainly showing, he looks a yard or 2 slower than he should be through either tiredness or slight injury, either way he hasnt got more than 45 minutes of effective football left in him in this tournament. 

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

? He got lucky because despite england being in almost total control in the first half and only needing to make 1 sub at half time, he brought Shaw on and left kane in. Shaw did little if anything team wise and kane was terrible. Our 2nd half performance was worse due to the wrong subs.

Trippier wasn't great but the team as a collective was far better than when Shaw came on.

The only sub that needed making was watkins for kane, the team were doing well.

So not sure how you have come to the conclusion I even intimated that I begrudge the manager for the team playing well ? 

Looks like you've made that up on your own.

Honestly. If you don't want to give him credit, then, so be it. 

You create luck by being brave and assertive. That's what those two substitutions were. That decision, by the manager, couldn't have been answered in a better way. Had he not made that decision to bring Palmer and Ollie on, he would have been lambasted. So, it should work both ways. I get It, you don't like to put it in reverse. To call it lucky, is just ridiculous.

• Like 3