Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

Agree for the earlier rounds but in the final they should play ET. Look at the world cup final for instance. 

It's something that annoys me a bit, like the tiebreak in Wimbledon finals now. Play till the bitter end!

Posted (edited)

My latest masterpiece.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 11.54.49 AM.png

Whatever the lineup, I really think the most important thing is perhaps the least likely: Replacing Kane, at least for part of the match. He is our Ronaldo at the moment. He isn't, of course -- but he sort of is, too. He's holding us back and giving us little.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He doesn't have that reassurance that other top keepers have. There's an erratic sense about him.

To be fair, no-one with his hairstyle should have any self-assurance.

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

My latest masterpiece.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 11.54.49 AM.png

Whatever the lineup, I really think the most important thing is perhaps the least likely: Replacing Kane, at least for part of the match. He is our Ronaldo at the moment. He isn't, of course -- but he sort of is, too. He's holding us back and giving us little.

The only individual holding us back, is the manager. It's like screaming at someone till you're blue in face. Poor Ollie, has a 20 minute, not too bad, cameo, and now, can't get a sniff.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The only individual holding us back, is the manager. It's like screaming at someone till you're blue in face. Poor Ollie, has a 20 minute, not too bad, cameo, and now, can't get a sniff.

Things move so slowly in international tournament football time. Kane's place on the squad should surprise no one -- he scored 30 goals in 22/23, and that sealed his role this year. It's all behind by at least one year. Ollie is the future, but that future is going to run out of time if it doesn't hurry up, sadly. The problem is, as you know, losing doesn't wait for the slower cadences of international football management, and Kane's drop-off has been shocking and urgent. At least we have Palmer and Olise and Saka in the ranks, too, not to mention Foden. But GS's choice of Kane is holding everyone back.

I think sometimes people discount the importance of leadership, and it's possible that Kane has a leadership role that ordinary spectators don't get to witness, so they don't understand? Kane sort of has that elder statesman role, and it may be that they just don't have someone else who can effectively do that yet. That's the benefit. But the cost is heavy. Jude is too immature despite dumb people acting like he's not. Pickford is too emotional. I think Rice would be good, but he's almost too nice?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Things move so slowly in international tournament football time. Kane's place on the squad should surprise no one -- he scored 30 goals in 22/23, and that sealed his role this year. It's all behind by at least one year. Ollie is the future, but that future is going to run out of time if it doesn't hurry up, sadly. The problem is, as you know, losing doesn't wait for the slower cadences of international football management, and Kane's drop-off has been shocking and urgent. At least we have Palmer and Olise and Saka in the ranks, too, not to mention Foden. But GS's choice of Kane is holding everyone back.

I think sometimes people discount the importance of leadership, and it's possible that Kane has a leadership role that ordinary spectators don't get to witness, so they don't understand? Kane sort of has that elder statesman role, and it may be that they just don't have someone else who can effectively do that yet. That's the benefit. But the cost is heavy. Jude is too immature despite dumb people acting like he's not. Pickford is too emotional. I think Rice would be good, but he's almost too nice?

And a different manager might just be the answer going forward. For all the semi - finals and Euro final, we're still to beat a quality side under this manager. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Is kolo muani that good to be keeping griezmann out. I feel massively out the loop these days but I haven't seen it this tournament.

Seems like Dechamps is doing what Southgate needs to do with Kane without zillions of options, but Ollie is 1,000 times better than Muani.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And a different manager might just be the answer going forward. For all the semi - finals and Euro final, we're still to beat a quality side under this manager. 

I think it's a just natural time for GS to move on, regardless of the next match or two. Not sure his abilities/leadership/choices are even an issue now. It's been a weird tournament, and some of the criticism of him wrong and moronic, but that doesn't mean he should stay either. Would you?

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Wonder what minute Mbappe will get a cheeky elbow/forearm on his nose. 

It hurts even to read that. One of those injuries that is all too easy to imagine.