Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

It looks like the referee for England Netherlands is one of the referees we had in the conference league. The one who had previously been banned for match fixing. I don’t recall 100%, but think it was the semi final home leg. ☹️

9 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It looks like the referee for England Netherlands is one of the referees we had in the conference league. The one who had previously been banned for match fixing. I don’t recall 100%, but think it was the semi final home leg. ☹️

He is German so will probably back England over the Dutch 😛

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is German so will probably back England over the Dutch 😛

Or both teams will lose! 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I vaguely recall being worried about him before the game but also that he was surprisingly quite good for the actual game.

My memory is a bit crap these days though so may be thinking of a different ref.

51 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I vaguely recall being worried about him before the game but also that he was surprisingly quite good for the actual game.

My memory is a bit crap these days though so may be thinking of a different ref.

was he not the one who didn't even look at the stonewall penalty in the first half?

• Thanks 1

Spain manager Luis de la Fuente the latest high profile football person calling for extra time to be scrapped and for the games to go straight to penalties if it ends a draw.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

My memory is the same, all of the games blend into one to be honest. I can’t recall one decent referee in the conference league matches I saw.

I do recall this one though as I was in the NS upper for this match, which isn’t my usual choice. I am sure we had an early goal ruled out, and I am still not sure why it was disallowed. Also Bailey was taken out in first half by a clumsy challenge, and no penalty given. In the end though we were poor, and Olympiakos deserved to win the match so I can’t say it was totally down to poor officiating.

I am surprised he has been called up for this match though, as I had assumed all of the second tier level of referees were used in the conference league. Hopefully we see some better standards in the Champions League, although I won’t hold my breath on that. 😂

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Spain manager Luis de la Fuente the latest high profile football person calling for extra time to be scrapped and for the games to go straight to penalties if it ends a draw.

I say bring back golden goal, but every 5 minutes of ET without someone scoring Ben Mee is sent out to end someone's career. That'll make 'em do a goal.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

good, he's right, ET becomes a test of who has the most depth in their squad and the fittest players 

also maintain that an absolutely dogshit game of football does not become better in those additional 30 minutes, its a very rare occurrence, whereas the drama of a penalty shootout always makes drab games better

with the impending fallout of this "boring" euros i think it might finally happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

good, he's right, ET becomes a test of who has the most depth in their squad and the fittest players 

also maintain that an absolutely dogshit game of football does not become better in those additional 30 minutes, its a very rare occurrence, whereas the drama of a penalty shootout always makes drab games better

with the impending fallout of this "boring" euros i think it might finally happen

Totally agree, even more so now that games already have 5-10 minutes added on to begin with.

• Like 1

I say after 90 mins they bring on a big It’s A Knockout style inflatable obstacle course, and the 5 quickest players that beat the obstacle course from each side take the penalties. “Oh but, Rob, the worst penalty takers will just go slowly across the obstacles” I hear you say? They won’t. Because the ones that don’t get across get killed. There. Sorted it. Endorsed by the Saudis too. (I imagine).

• Haha 3

Add a second football for extra time. That would be fun.

In all seriousness though I think everyone would be happy if ET was scrapped. Maybe they could allow a substitute take a penalty to stop the last part of normal time being cluttered to changes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Add a second football for extra time. That would be fun.

In all seriousness though I think everyone would be happy if ET was scrapped. Maybe they could allow a substitute take a penalty to stop the last part of normal time being cluttered to changes.

I’ve always liked the idea of a triangular pitch, 3 teams, 3 goals and 2 footballs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilS said:

This could be interesting if Toney starts.

Toney has a bet on England to win and the ref has agreed to fix it for Holland to win, may the fireworks commence 

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just reading an article about "Pickford Heroics!" Have I missed something?

he made a decent save from a really poor penalty

not a fat lot more to it

hard to describe any penalty save as a routine save that you'd expect a keeper to make but that's close to it

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

he made a decent save from a really poor penalty

not a fat lot more to it

hard to describe any penalty save as a routine save that you'd expect a keeper to make but that's close to it

Exactly! I would back myself to save that penalty. I've never rated Pickford. There's a reason why he's still at Everton. 

33 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Exactly! I would back myself to save that penalty. I've never rated Pickford. There's a reason why he's still at Everton. 

the criticism over his pointless kicking is creeping in

too often under no pressure he just blasts it in the general direction of kane despite there being no other england player within 30 yards of him

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the criticism over his pointless kicking is creeping in

too often under no pressure he just blasts it in the general direction of kane despite there being no other england player within 30 yards of him

He doesn't have that reassurance that other top keepers have. There's an erratic sense about him.

• Like 1