Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Spain should win, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see France completely nullify them and go through. 
Southgate will fluke us through. 
Final will be an awful game with France beating us 1-0

Greece and Portugal won it in the past playing turgid defensive football. I wouldn't be surprised if England won it that way this year.

I'd be very happy if they did of course, but the fear is that Southgate would then stick around for the World Cup. That would be excruciating. He has to go regardless.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Similar to a certain John Barnes who got capped 79 times for England on the strength of one good goal against Brazil if I recall.

Played well for liverpool, useless for England...

I suggest you go and watch the 86 World Cup tie against Argentina when he came on and nearly changed the game for us. He was brilliant, but there's no doubt he found it hard in an England shirt. Also, it was at a time when the England supporters were as right - wing as Ghengis Khan, couldn't have been easy for any England player of colour listening to that bigoted crap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I suggest you go and watch the 86 World Cup tie against Argentina when he came on and nearly changed the game for us. He was brilliant, but there's no doubt he found it hard in an England shirt. Also, it was at a time when the England supporters were as right - wing as Ghengis Khan, couldn't have been easy for any England player of colour listening to that bigoted crap.

Yes the racism Barnes had to put up with wearing an England shirt from his own supporters was atrocious. He had his moments in an England shirt but rarely replicated his Liverpool form. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ok, 2 good games then 😉

I agree about the fans, however there is still elements of England supporters 30 years on that I find childish, ridiculous and embarrassing such as booing the opposition national anthem, the great escape theme tune etc etc

There will aways be a small group of fans who just go for the piss up and row if it's on. When I was in Germany 2 weeks ago, the Danes some of the best fans, 1000s of them walking  down the street singing having fun. Then a group of about 10 English llads started swearing and chanting obscenities at them. Took the Polizia to drag them away and give them a warning. Every English fan around was pretty embarrassed, I know I was.

Usual bollo***s from Shaw in his interview today. "We all love Southgate, he let's is play our best, he's great for English football."

They are so much in a bubble, how obvious is it, he would say that. Especially as he wants back on the pitch too. Reckons he's ready for 90 minutes?? Not a chance he is match fit from trotting about on the training ground for a couple of days.

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There will aways be a small group of fans who just go for the piss up and row if it's on. When I was in Germany 2 weeks ago, the Danes some of the best fans, 1000s of them walking  down the street singing having fun. Then a group of about 10 English llads started swearing and chanting obscenities at them. Took the Polizia to drag them away and give them a warning. Every English fan around was pretty embarrassed, I know I was.

"its just banter mate"

got a young cockney kid in the office who went to the Denmark game and was in the Dusseldorf fan park at the weekend, i honestly don't know where he'd draw the line with "banter" he was laughing and joking earlier about a video of a pint being thrown over a copper as "jokes"

it seems to me like England has a real problem with young gobby pissheads / coke heads who do not have a clue where the line is and then an old boy element who have no intention of teaching them some manners because deep down they might not like the immaturity of it but they see it as a potential spark

would say based on the size of the German cities and the number of England fans it is easy for the sensible fans who want none of it to just avoid it completely 

but again that creates a scenario where there's no one to keep the gobby young uns in check, England fans don't police themselves and there's a never ending conveyor belt of the young uns, its attractive to way too many dickheads

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Usual bollo***s from Shaw in his interview today. "We all love Southgate, he let's is play our best, he's great for English football."

They are so much in a bubble, how obvious is it, he would say that. Especially as he wants back on the pitch too. Reckons he's ready for 90 minutes?? Not a chance he is match fit from trotting about on the training ground for a couple of days.

Ok, it would have been fun if Shaw had said; “We all hate Southgate, can’t wait for him to be sacked, so we get to play some proper football”.

But it would have been so unprofessional, that it would never happen.

Not sure why people get riled up when players come out in interviews and not speak their mind, but stick with the official nice sound bites. More or less what they are paid to do, unless they want to burn every bridge and never play for England ever again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

In hindsight, Palmer should have started from the start. His form was unmatched.

Recency bias as Safegate would say/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Yes. Very big cocks. 

And now I know. All the remaining nations have at least one rampant lion on their crests, but they can't compete with the big chicken, one imagines.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

I'm a little disappointed Germany is out. It's going to change the tenor of this Euros -- inevitably. It's a very bad summer for the host to vanish. When the host goes out, there's always less crowd excitement everywhere. It's the law.

The London and Paris media have finally stopped crying and kvetching about how boring the Euros are only to find now that -- let us shed a tear for them -- much of the rest of the world are never that interested in the Euros in the first place, unfortunately. Much of Europe ain't either. It's a truly great, very special tournament. Almost as good as the FA Cup. But what is Europe now? Nationalism is slowly damaging it again. There's less love and joy in competition. Reports of boring football haven't exactly sold the tournament internationally, as you might imagine. Still, I wish Germany had stayed alive, if only because Germany is, strange to say this after the 20th century, a deeply humanising influence on culture today.

As far as I can tell, most of Africa, for example, simply don't watch or talk about the Euros. Not if they ever did. South America? Haha. No way. The Global South are are interested in the Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and African football, South American football, respectively.

All in all, as the Euros wind up, I'll be looking forward to Villa. That's my focus. But really, it's a tournament that deserves more, if you ask me. Europe deserves more than its giving itself, and not just in football.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm a little disappointed Germany is out. It's going to change the tenor of this Euros -- inevitably. It's a very bad summer for the host to vanish. When the host goes out, there's always less crowd excitement everywhere. It's the law.

The London and Paris media have finally stopped crying and kvetching about how boring the Euros are only to find now that -- let us shed a tear for them -- much of the rest of the world are never that interested in the Euros in the first place, unfortunately. Much of Europe ain't either. It's a truly great, very special tournament. Almost as good as the FA Cup. But what is Europe now? Nationalism is slowly damaging it again. There's less love and joy in competition. Reports of boring football haven't exactly sold the tournament internationally, as you might imagine. Still, I wish Germany had stayed alive, if only because Germany is, strange to say this after the 20th century, a deeply humanising influence on culture today.

As far as I can tell, most of Africa, for example, simply don't watch or talk about the Euros. Not if they ever did. South America? Haha. No way. The Global South are are interested in the Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and African football, South American football, respectively.

All in all, as the Euros wind up, I'll be looking forward to Villa. That's my focus. But really, it's a tournament that deserves more, if you ask me. Europe deserves more than its giving itself, and not just in football.

It's crazy. As an international tournament it should have the highest number of great teams involved versus the total number that qualified. And yet, it's a disappointment.

Throw in the fact the hosts are out, that England probably brings with it the largest number of followers but plays completely dire football, that Mbappe the poster boy is struggling to hit form, and you get a tournament that is lining up to be a real anti climax.

The only excitement will be if Spain don't waltz away with the trophy I guess,  but that would probably mean England have shithoused their way to the final, and then shithoused the final itself.... so yeah, we've got a kind of lose lose situation for the end of this tournament.

Also worth mentioning that the standard of football seems a mile behind the Premier League too, and if you take the Microcosm of VillaTalk attitude towards it, we're comparing it to a Villa that have played some of the best football in living memory for a lot of us this season. We all just want the season to start and our players to avoid injury. I imagine every PL club fan is feeling similar with how dull England are to watch.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'll add that the longer format tournament might not help, there's football fatigue paired with Germany being great for it's central location, a lot of fans have gone home during this break and will travel back in 

The swell of people and buzz around Frankfurt from a couple of weeks ago has died off and it's gone back to normal, the English guys at work aren't out in the streets on Wednesday night, they're watching it at home or travelling to Dortmund 

I don't know anyone who has stayed in Germany for 2 weeks and travelled with England, I know a fair few who set themselves up in like Dusseldorf for a week (and loads of Scots set themselves up in Frankfurt for their week) 

Feels to me like maybe as much as 90% of the fans here for the Dortmund game will get here today or tomorrow and be gone by Thursday 

• Like 1

Yep, the German and Turkish flags are down now and you would think the tournament was over as its gone really quiet in Berlin. It might pick up again Sunday but seems a bit of an anti climax now

I said in the Southgate thread England fans are probably enjoying it but is a big difference in expectations between an England fan and a Villa fan that supports England

Cant be the only one hoping that piece of shit Toney misses a no look penalty and gets torn apart by the English media?