Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

WTF

What the hell is that photographer doing? If he misses the final spain should be allowed to sue him. Thats ridiculous and avoidable 

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Best team won, if England beat Holland they will have to play the best they have ever played just to hang on.

Williams and Yamal will run rings around Shaw or Trippier

Trippier wont olay if shaw starts. Sometimes shaw really steps up against the worlds best.

We have a lot of experience in this england squad. If this clown southgate could actually coach we would have a excellent chance

The dutch will be our toughest test tonight. Come on england

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Just shows how bad our coaching is. I can't see us getting past the Dutch, but Spain will destroy us if we do.

This is the point of all England fans that are not blinded by “just get behind them”.

Coaching can make average players good, good players great and great players average.

Southgate is the latter but during a game some quality will shine through. Deschamps may have won before with France but they got what they deserved when the poor coaching with good players came up against other good players well coached.

I massively fear a game against Spain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

The golden generation were over hyped, not many people outside the UK premier league bubble thought we had a world beating set of players. Now though most people I speak too are baffled as to why we play so poorly with these players. During these Euros I've spoken to Italians, french, Swedish and Germans who rate Bellingham, Foden, saka, rice, kane, stones, trippier, walker etc as proper players. 

Fair enough. I would have said it was pretty close with Rooney, Owen, Scholes, Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand etc.

There's no doubt that we should be seeing better from this current England side though, especially with the quality in the final 3rd.

32 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Fair enough. I would have said it was pretty close with Rooney, Owen, Scholes, Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand etc.

There's no doubt that we should be seeing better from this current England side though, especially with the quality in the final 3rd.

Look at what appened when Owen and Beckham went to play with actually world class players though. Not failures, but you wouldn't say they were as technically gifted as who they were playing with. How would you rate Gerrard and Lampard against Xavi, Iniesta, Ballack, Pirlo... Ferdinand or Cannavaro, Nesta, Puyol, Thuram...

Te current crop are held in much higher regard, Bellingham is a star at Real, not a squad player or liked for his graft. Big difference.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yeah, we have the best midfield and front 3 I can remember and we try and kill the game and pick teams off on the counter. It's criminal.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Look at what appened when Owen and Beckham went to play with actually world class players though. Not failures, but you wouldn't say they were as technically gifted as who they were playing with. How would you rate Gerrard and Lampard against Xavi, Iniesta, Ballack, Pirlo... Ferdinand or Cannavaro, Nesta, Puyol, Thuram...

Te current crop are held in much higher regard, Bellingham is a star at Real, not a squad player or liked for his graft. Big difference.

Fair points. I suppose my issue is that we didn't go out of tournaments to the best teams (except 2002) and the football we played was pretty dire, scraping past the likes of Trinidad & Tobago in 2006. And of course even failing to even qualify for Euro 2008.

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah, we have the best midfield and front 3 I can remember and we try and kill the game and pick teams off on the counter. It's criminal.

100% it's such a waste. Kane, Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer and we can barely get a shot away.

Edited by villan95

Ridiculous that Konsa is getting dropped, Guehi I think has been average and not even 100% as according to the press he needed injection at half time to get him through the Slovakia game.

Everyone at work buzzing about the semi, i must be in a minority as i really am meh about it. Reasons? Because its going to be the same team, Kane & Foden doing nothing, pundits creaming over the team for playing amazing while sending anyone over the age of 50 to sleep. Wont see any subs until England go behind because Southgate is waiting for that moment of magic.....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Owen did win the Balon D'or, last English player to win it although reality is only a matter of time before Bellingham wins it.

Beckham and Owen peaked in late 90s/early 2000s. Were more in England team based on reputation by 2006 as Kane increasingly is edging towards.

England's main strength in 2000s was more how good the defensive unit was, ridiculous amount of high level CBs and Ashley Cole quickly developed into one of the best LBs in World Football aswell.

• Like 1

Going into the tournament I was worried about our weak defence, but thought we’d score plenty to offset it.

What we have is a kind of no man’s land where aren’t really attacking which might be to protect the defence, but we’ve looked poor/shaky in defence too and that’s without playing any top level sides.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Owen did win the Balon D'or, last English player to win it although reality is only a matter of time before Bellingham wins it.

Beckham and Owen peaked in late 90s/early 2000s. Were more in England team based on reputation by 2006 as Kane increasingly is edging towards.

England's main strength in 2000s was more how good the defensive unit was, ridiculous amount of high level CBs and Ashley Cole quickly developed into one of the best LBs in World Football aswell.

Owen was a sensational teenager. That goal against Argentina in 98 is arguably the best ever goal.by an England player..

Tonight's game only one change Guehi for Konsa. I have mixed feelings about thst because I think Guehi has been one England's best players and is more used to playing in a back three, however Switzerland were the best team England played and Konsa was outstanding and thr Dutch are another step up so we shall see

On 08/07/2024 at 22:18, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm a little disappointed Germany is out. It's going to change the tenor of this Euros -- inevitably. It's a very bad summer for the host to vanish. When the host goes out, there's always less crowd excitement everywhere. It's the law.

The London and Paris media have finally stopped crying and kvetching about how boring the Euros are only to find now that -- let us shed a tear for them -- much of the rest of the world are never that interested in the Euros in the first place, unfortunately. Much of Europe ain't either. It's a truly great, very special tournament. Almost as good as the FA Cup. But what is Europe now? Nationalism is slowly damaging it again. There's less love and joy in competition. Reports of boring football haven't exactly sold the tournament internationally, as you might imagine. Still, I wish Germany had stayed alive, if only because Germany is, strange to say this after the 20th century, a deeply humanising influence on culture today.

As far as I can tell, most of Africa, for example, simply don't watch or talk about the Euros. Not if they ever did. South America? Haha. No way. The Global South are are interested in the Premier League, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and African football, South American football, respectively.

All in all, as the Euros wind up, I'll be looking forward to Villa. That's my focus. But really, it's a tournament that deserves more, if you ask me. Europe deserves more than its giving itself, and not just in football.

Is this sarcastic... This is genuinely one of the most bizarre posts I've read, I can't tell?

The hosts got knocked out in the quarters. I'd imagine that's pretty on par with how hosts normally do? It's hardly a deflating group stage exit, is it. The atmosphere for the Spain/France game looked electric. There's talk of there being ~100k Dutch fans and ~50k England fans in Dortmund. It will dominate the city.

"Much of the rest of the world were never that interested in the Euros in the first place" - why would anyone in the London and Paris media care about this? There's Copa America happening in parallel anyway, of course the focus of the Americas will be there. The BBC viewing figures for the penalties vs. Switzerland were ~26m, it's hardly bombed. 

"Nationalism is slowly damaging it again. There's less love and joy in competition." - this is quite a statement, jheez. Not quite sure how we're measuring the 'love and joy in competition' across Euros tournies over the years, but would be interested to know. Also, claiming "Nationalism is damaging the Euros" is a fairly impressive leap. If the tournament product is inferior at all it's down to admitting more crap teams in, coupled with most of the expected big nations not firing. Not sure how a rise in centre-right parties in Europe (of which very few hold meaningful positions of power) can be affecting a football tournament. The U.K. and France have recently just elected centre-left/ left-wing governments anyway, mid-tournament. It's hardly conducive to a surge of nationalism, is it.  

Again, African and South American apathy to the Euros is pretty expected, surely. I'd imagine it's entirely similar to European interest in the ACON / Copa America (i.e. minimal). I'm not sure anyone really cares if they're watching or not (or has ever cared). Also, if the "Global South" are interested in the Premier League, La Liga and the Bundesliga "respectively" -> then the Euros is the best tournament to view those same players again... Are viewing figures really bigger for African football than the Euros in Asia? I'd be shocked by that.

And finally the poetic quote to end on, the piece de resistance; "Europe deserves more than its giving itself, and not just in football". Really not sure what this is getting at. It's definitely not a place I would throw stones from - but I'm not sure sure anyone in Europe is looking enviously at the politics in the USA, South America or Asia either.

It's really not been that bad of a tournament, jheez.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ridiculous that Konsa is getting dropped, Guehi I think has been average and not even 100% as according to the press he needed injection at half time to get him through the Slovakia game.

Yep. I think Guehi has been fine but a lot of the things he was getting praise for was basic stuff or even recovering from his own mistakes. I think he's got a bad habit of stepping in and getting the wrong side of the attacker too.

Konsa's performance was almost exemplary but as soon as that cross went through his legs (not even an error really) that was Southgate's excuse to drop him.

Edited by villan95
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Tonight's game only one change Guehi for Konsa. I have mixed feelings about thst because I think Guehi has been one England's best players and is more used to playing in a back three, however Switzerland were the best team England played and Konsa was outstanding and thr Dutch are another step up so we shall see

Where is that info from? Not seeing it anywhere. Could be southgate is also saving a heavily worked Konsa as a defensive bulwark particularly if we go to ET? I agree with all you say, but not seeing the confirmation of lineup.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Posted (edited)

Today's self-care checklist: Avoid caffeine. Take blood pressure meds. Practice breathing. Take a pre-match bicycle ride. Put finger on St. George's medal. Remember it's just football. Yes. It's just a game. Right. That's all it is.

AvGrfPZCMAAqTQg.jpg.f94c75367c97bd9674f5ac5fffdd70e6.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

13 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Where is that info from? Not seeing it anywhere. Could be southgate is also saving a heavily worked Konsa as a defensive bulwark particularly if we go to ET? I agree with all you say, but not seeing the confirmation of lineup.

Heavily worked?

Your Southgate defence is worse than them online pro Russian bots

• Haha 1