Euro 2024: Semi Finals

limpid

KitWierdo

So, if Turkiye wins, England has to wear change kit, if Netherlands they can stay in white: do I have that right? Trying to coordinate what I wear to the shops that day.

/KitWeirdo

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spain-Holland final I reckon but both SFs will probably go into extra time so who knows.

England will beat this Netherlands side. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Spain-Holland final I reckon but both SFs will probably go into extra time so who knows.

That would be an entertaining final, think Spain will win it

The flip side would be France - England. Most of Europe would be asleep before halftime. Would be an absolute snoozefest! 

Just now, calcifer said:

The flip side would be France - England. Most of Europe would be asleep before halftime. Would be an absolute snoozefest! 

Mbappe might come alive again like in World cup final. France were horrendous for 70 minutes but then should've won it but Emi saved that last minute one on one.

1 minute ago, calcifer said:

The last final between them was entertaining for different reasons :D 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

England will beat this Netherlands side. 

The thing about the Dutch is they do have pace in the final third. Feels like England have been getting away with it so far down the left hand side because all the opposition they've played so far have had hardly any pace in that area.

Dumfries, Frimpong, Gakpo, plenty there.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The thing about the Dutch is they do have pace in the final third. Feels like England have been getting away with it so far down the left hand side because all the opposition they've played so far have had hardly any pace in that area.

Dumfries, Frimpong, Gakpo, plenty there.

It feels like they have been the most profligate side of the tournament though. Particularly so, Memphis.

It's going to be a tough one. This is what I would do. Never gonna happen in 1,000 years, but we need aggression up front against Paises Bajos.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 6.21.40 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Two games in a row England have gone a goal down and been forced to react, looking better for it and actually attacking and scoring

If he starts with the team that hes been ending with then England will win 

If he doesn't then his luck will finally run out

FWIW I think Holland will struggle to score, if England score 2 goals they will win but it'll go to pens after a 1-1 draw, this time England taking the lead before half an hour but sitting back for the rest of the game 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

but Kane should be dropped for a forward who wants to face goal.

Kane will never be dropped by Southgate, BeCaUsE He ScOrEs GoAlS.....

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Foden to play

He shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Hasn't has one good performance all tournament. I am hoping he is dropped. But knowing Southgate he will continue to pick him, much like he kept picking Mount while everyone could see it wasn't working and was like playing with 10 men.

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's going to be a tough one. This is what I would do. Never gonna happen in 1,000 years, but we need aggression up front against Paises Bajos.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 6.21.40 PM.png

Sweet jesus. That midfield has more holes than swiss cheese. You're the only person on the planet I want to manage England less than Gareth Southgate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Sweet jesus. That midfield has more holes than swiss cheese. You're the only person on the planet I want to manage England less than Gareth Southgate.

Thats the team i would switch to by about 65/70 mins if its not going our way , the formation is correct although i think i would start with watkins and kane, watkins should probably be deeper behind kane more like link man , start with rice in the centre and bellingham in fodens position on the left of centre. 

Posted (edited)

Given both knockout games gone to ET, got to expect likelihood of the same and we need to use the squad more for fitness reasons as well as just tactics. Dutch are going to be fresher having not needed extra time in either game. He's got capable players, fresh from barely featuring so far. Have some of them in from the start to do the running and then the big players can be the impact ones for the latter stages.

e.g. 

Mainoo-Rice

Saka-Bellingham-Gordon

Watkins

Don't think it's just club bias to think Watkins would be ideal to start against the Dutch. Get him to stay high and press relentlessly for first hour, give Van Dijk a hard time as he has before.

While Gordon i think would be good to occupy Dumfries -  with our current shape/style, Dumfries won't have much defending to do and will be free to cause us problems going forward.

you could play with expectation Gordon and Watkins run themselves into ground and withdraw on ~60 mins, then you'd have plenty of options then to mix it up depending what suits the game (Kane, Toney, Eze, Palmer, Bowen, Foden), and with ET/penalties in mind.

Edited by switters
  • Like 1