Euro 2024: Quarter Finals

limpid

Posted (edited)

24 teams has diluted the quality of the tournament-though nations like Georgia and Albania would disagree and have brought entertainment to the party. Also every team is well drilled and hard to break down. Plus it is the end of a long hard season in Europe and honestly I think a lot of the top players are tired both physically and mentally. I am sure a lot of them would privately prefer 3 week off in the sun rather than yet another competitionu a shortened off season and then straight back into club football.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

Has European football hit a bit of a rock? Only Spain have been any ounce of good 

Yes I think it has, too much football these day tbh.

It is becoming like cricket with its endless, pointless and expanded competitions. 

All to do with money though, but I wonder what the long term physical and mental wellbeing of these players will be in their 50's and older

• Like 1

Sky Sports gave Saka a 10/10 rating for his performance yesterday, calling it a “performance for the ages”.

He had a good game, but none of those players out there are playing anywhere near their best.

Now that we’re in the Semi-Final the praise for Southgate will really crank up. 🤮

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Sky Sports gave Saka a 10/10 rating for his performance yesterday, calling it a “performance for the ages”.

He had a good game, but none of those players out there are playing anywhere near their best.

Now that we’re in the Semi-Final the praise for Southgate will really crank up. 🤮

He was probably our best player, but yeah, over the open play, it was 8/10 for me, at best. I think having the balls to step up and take a penalty after the last time has probably influenced the ratings quite a bit though

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

He was our best player and had a great 1st half but 2nd half he went quiet for 30 mins, ET he didn't do a lot, definitely not enough for a 10/10

Also from the media last night I caught the last ten mins to the Dutch game and they came up with a load spiel about famous foes going at it once again the history between these 2 great footballing nations....have we actually ever played Holland other than the 4-1? It felt way off to me, we don't have history with them 

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He was probably our best player, but yeah, over the open play, it was 8/10 for me, at best. I think having the balls to step up and take a penalty after the last time has probably influenced the ratings quite a bit though

9 for the goal for me.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was our best player and had a great 1st half but 2nd half he went quiet for 30 mins, ET he didn't do a lot, definitely not enough for a 10/10

Also from the media last night I caught the last ten mins to the Dutch game and they came up with a load spiel about famous foes going at it once again the history between these 2 great footballing nations....have we actually ever played Holland other than the 4-1? It felt way off to me, we don't have history with them 

There's the 94 qualifiers.  With the current Dutch manager having brought Platt down when he shouid have been sent off and ended up scoring from a free kick. So there's a bit of history between the two countries 

Edited by PaulC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Played them in Italia 90. 0 -  0. The Gascoigne drag - back that bamboozled Kooman and Rijkaard being the only real highlight. Also played them twice in qualifying for the 94 World Cup when Taylor was manager. Kooman scoring a free - kick after escaping an obvious red card for bringing down Platt. "Oh! Do I not like  that"!

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Into the semi-final with 1 win in 90 minutes (against the mighty serbia)

So far inside 90 minutes we have failed  to beat Denmark slovina Slovakia and Switzerland and yet we are some how into a semi final and Southgate will be hailed as the second coming of Alf Ramsey and a tactical genius that makes perfect subs at the perfect time 

3 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

So far inside 90 minutes we have failed  to beat Denmark slovina Slovakia and Switzerland and yet we are some how into a semi final and Southgate will be hailed as the second coming of Alf Ramsey and a tactical genius that makes perfect subs at the perfect time 

Genuinely the luckiest man on the planet. No other manager will get successive easy draws 3 times. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep first meeting between England and the Netherlands in a tournament since 1996 which is incredible considering how deep they've both gone in knock outs since.

Only a few friendlies and National league match in June 2019 to base things on.

2 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

On the surface maybe, for a time. However, when you dig deeper, it's not always how it seems. One glaring ommision from Southgate's reign. We are still to beat a real quality side in a tournament, although, some would make a case for beating Germany in the last Euros. I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

England simply haven't been as good as the last World cup.

That's what the more measured pundits/people on forums are saying.

Dispatched Iran and Wales with complete ease in groups so while US performance was mediocre it didn't matter.

Then Senegal with a similar team to Swiss were comfortably dispatched 3-0. France game was a very tight loss with overall a good performance.

In 18 months the style has regressed again majorly which I can't understand considering the impact Bellingham and Foden have since made for their clubs.

England have been so bad in this comp that the slight improvement in the play had the commentators gushing during the half time period, to the point that I was suspicious that they had been told by the powers above them to stop slagging England down.

It's simple, an I'm not sure why the pundits have not mentioned it more.

Gareth is a defender, so his priority is always going to be defence. Also he's a bloody nice guy (apparently), so don't expect aggression on the field of play, expect sideways and backwards passing, instead of a run through a group of players

He sets up not to lose, rather than to win. He even said yesterday "if we knew we could win on penalties everytime, we would, its such a exciting way to finish". I mean what a thing to say. Every manager/coach wants to win in open play. I actually think, it may be worse now, him knowing we are so good on penalties.

An as if we have to look at Ferdinand for smiles not the actual game. Another quote from him yesterday after just about getting through in penalties "I cannot see any reason why Gareth can't stay on and take us to America to be as competitive as we have been in this tournament ". Your bloody joker Rio. 😂

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

An as if we have to look at Ferdinand for smiles not the actual game. Another quote from him yesterday after just about getting through in penalties "I cannot see any reason why Gareth can't stay on and take us to America to be as competitive as we have been in this tournament ". Your bloody joker Rio. 

Beggars belief. The thought of him still being at the helm for another tournament. The fact hardly anyone on here is banging the drum for him speaks volumes. He wouldn't last a season in the Premier League. 

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

An as if we have to look at Ferdinand for smiles not the actual game. Another quote from him yesterday after just about getting through in penalties "I cannot see any reason why Gareth can't stay on and take us to America to be as competitive as we have been in this tournament ". Your bloody joker Rio. 😂

I would rather us not win the Euro, Southgate get replaced,  and go into the World cup with a manager who plays to win. If we win the Euros its almost certain Southgate will be made a Sir, and will be in charge for the Worlds, where we will get spanked if that muppet is still in charge.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â