Euro 2024: Quarter Finals

limpid

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Has European football hit a bit of a rock? Only Spain have been any ounce of good 

based on this tournament, that’s one hundred percent accurate; overall level has ranged from decent to comical.

1 minute ago, grantholtgolazo said:

based on this tournament, that’s one hundred percent accurate; overall level has ranged from decent to comical.

One of the poorest tournaments I've witnessed. 

• Like 1

Harry Kane is not world class, any future claims will be thrown out of court based on there being no new evidence that can be shown to prove otherwise....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Has European football hit a bit of a rock? Only Spain have been any ounce of good 

Could argue its more competitive that the stronger traditional teams are being caught up by the likes of Swiss, Turkey , Austria and makes games cagier

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Harry Kane is not world class, any future claims will be thrown out of court based on there being no new evidence that can be shown to prove otherwise....

The list is endless of English strikers whose reputation far outweighs their actual talent.

• Like 1

Just now, supermon said:

The "its coming home" line is so cringe

It's like cheering your mother in law coming over for a movie night on 26th of December....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

The Copa America has not been great either. I just think there are too many games these days and the players are mentally and physically exhausted. Read somwhere that Rodri has played something like 125 games in the last 2 years. That's insane. 

No summer break next year for elite players with nonsense of the Club World cup going through to mid July.

Then it's a 48 team World cup so will be a five week tournament.

Football has eat itself considerably for last 20 years with all the extra games and demands but it's now getting pretty dangerous imo with the workloads and now players are starting to speak out.

I think a decent compromise is to increase Euros to 32 teams as it will still be same length but you then scrap qualifying for as a result. Top 20 teams in the European rankings get automatic spot and then the other 12 is decided through nations league games which can still be used by the automatics for preparation.

• Like 3

Just now, sne said:

The Copa America has not been great either. I just think there are too many games these days and the players are mentally and physically exhausted. Read somwhere that Rodri has played something like 125 games in the last 2 years. That's insane. 

It would be interesting to know with players what the pinnacle of football is now, for most of us fans its not the euros 

So much money in football and so much prestige with the CL and the PL superleague that it's hard to know where the heads of these guys are, I'm not sure they care that much

Some of the younger guys and the "lesser" nations might buy so many of the older guys have seen and done it all before 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So it's those intolerable Dutch. Worth a punt on it going to penalties. Probably be odds on.

Austin Powers Irony - dutch post - Imgur

• Haha 1

England underwhelming again but getting through. Great penalties. Starting to get Portugal 2016 vibes.

Swiss were also disappointing tbh. Guess the tactic nearly worked if they were playing to keep it tight for an hour then step it up, but really they looked much better going forward in previous games. I think they'll look back massively disappointed that they didn't go for it more against an England there for taking.

Clearly still don't have quite the right balance up front with Kane, Foden, Bellingham combination but given up on Southgate changing it now. Saka was excellent thankfully.

Konsa did well, same level as Guehi had been. You could argue that it should be them two and drop Stones based on performances, but don't know if that would lose something organisationally.

10 minutes ago, switters said:

England underwhelming again but getting through. Great penalties. Starting to get Portugal 2016 vibes.

Swiss were also disappointing tbh. Guess the tactic nearly worked if they were playing to keep it tight for an hour then step it up, but really they looked much better going forward in previous games. I think they'll look back massively disappointed that they didn't go for it more against an England there for taking.

Clearly still don't have quite the right balance up front with Kane, Foden, Bellingham combination but given up on Southgate changing it now. Saka was excellent thankfully.

Konsa did well, same level as Guehi had been. You could argue that it should be them two and drop Stones based on performances, but don't know if that would lose something organisationally.

I don’t think this England side is very easy to score against.

England play like France, very compact and defensive with good players.

They are both very boring to watch but also very difficult to beat. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think this England side is very easy to score against.

England play like France, very compact and defensive with good players.

They are both very boring to watch but also very difficult to beat. 

Basically Rice is a third CB out of possession so very tough to create things unless it's a quick counter. Way to get at England is keep on creating passing triangles down their left hand side. Swiss did that early on and then they just sat deep and eventually did another and it lead to the goal.

Agree it was a missed opportunity for them especially in extra time when England had so many attackers on the pitch.

Always been a huge england fan and desperate for us to win a tournament.

But, and I know it probably a bit pathetic, to think Southgate will be  heralded as a national hero, gosh i just don't know.....

Just have to let it go i guess and hope England win it despite of him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why the beeb crew are bigging us up so much. They know we had to win it on pens yeah?

If you didn't watch it, hearing them, you'd think we'd won it 4-0.

According to Micah we were 'brilliant'! Not a single clear cut chance in 120 minutes. How low is their bar exactly?

• Like 1

I think this tournament shows that defensive solidity is easier to achieve than the free flowing offensive football that we are often accustomed to seeing. The chasm between international and club football is getting wider and this euros is a reflection of the limitations of the international game. 

The sorts of football we see from teams managed by Pep, Unai and Klopp (and many many others) week after week takes months of coaching. There’s just not the time in a tournament to get the movement and positioning right. I think the players are terrified of getting it wrong. You see it to some extent in the French performances too. It might be that the Spanish have been playing this way for longer and can sort of make a go of it.

This isn’t to give a pass to Southgate. He’s made so many practical errors it it baffles me: changing the shape all the time reeks of desperation and a man in search of an answer to a question he wasn’t expecting to be asked. I don’t think he can actually coach in the modern style and so resorts to set pieces and boring possession football. He wouldn’t last a second as a coach in a top European league. 

• Like 2

I think the tournament has been great in terms of entertainment and excitement. 

But the quality definitely seems lower. Apart from Spain, no team yet has stood out quality wise

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â