Euro 2024: Quarter Finals

limpid

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Really? I thought he was **** dogshit for the whole game

First half he was getting on the ball in pockets and played Saka in a couple of times. I thought he was our best presser too. Nipped in and won the ball a good few times. Don't disagree that he faded badly though as did most.

• Like 1

Palmer was MOM for me , because he took the game to them. Foden looked better when Palmer came on. They are both exceptional talents that you need to try and get them both on the pitch at the same time imho.

Kane is either injured or finished.....hes hiding

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

I keep them honest with pressing which Kane refused to do

Can't be true, the BBC highlighted how brilliantly we pressed, with a montage of him waddling up to their defenders like he'd filled his pants

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

You have to get Palmer and Foden into the same team v4e.

If that means Bellingham dropping back then so be it.

I thought mainoo was better than rice personally and it would be harsh to drop him, I'm not convinced a midfield 5 of rice Bellingham Palmer foden and Saka is the answer, definitely not if we don't then play attacking football which lets face it we won't

Keeping Southgates current tactics and philosophy I'd just straight swap them 

Just now, PaulC said:

With the players we have we should beat Netherlands.

We should beat Spain with these players, but unfortunately it's not all about the players is it?

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Palmer was MOM for me , because he took the game to them. Foden looked better when Palmer came on. They are both exceptional talents that you need to try and get them both on the pitch at the same time imho.

Kane is either injured or finished.....hes hiding

Konsa was man of the match followed by Saka for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For me now it's just the names that he keeps picking 

Replace trippier with Shaw, kane with Watkins and foden with Palmer and we'll improve even more 

I feel bad for Ollie. He is the perfect striker for that sort of match, he really is. There would have been fewer scares from the Swiss if he'd been pestering them and leaping around like he does.

• Like 3

Just now, foreveryoung said:

We should beat Spain with these players, but unfortunately it's not all about the players is it?

Should is a bit much

But could definitely isn't 

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Good assessment. Kane almost turned out to be our Ronaldo in that game. He was a drag on the team. I was screaming for Ollie at 60 minutes, and I was totally right about that. I think GS was guessing we would go to ET and wanted to keep his options open for a long game, but we should have put the Swiss to the sword when we had the chance.

Another good moment. Eze's terrible shot on goal with his cheeky smile afterwards. It was stunningly wasteful, and his grin was great -- admitting his wrong and remembering not to take it all too seriously in a moment of supreme stress. You need those lighter moments.  It's just football, after all.

Yep I could only assume the only bit of logic was to keep Kane on for penalties but even that wasn't the case. Looked like the perfect game for Ollie to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

With the players we have we should beat Netherlands.

Doubt it in 90 minutes.

Austria showed the way to do it in the groups but England miles off playing front foot football. They also have excellent defenders, Van de ven and Frimpong are just subs in this tournament.

Edited by VillaChris

England are laboured in attack but when people talk about it being embarrassing to have to win on penalties against Switzerland, I think that is a bit of English arrogance on display.

Switzerland are a good side, with players who just won the league in the Premier League, Bundesliga and Serie A. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Spain would be a nightmare match up for England with Rodri imperious centrally and Yamal and Nico Williams causing havoc out wide.

Southgate wouldn't adapt a gameplan to try to counter them either.

England would do better against France I think given how snail paced they been with their play in this tournament.

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Rice has been very disappointing. Far too negative on the ball. Him and Overrated Stones who can't defend, slow the game down too much.

Said during the match it's too in to feet, it's square balls to a stationary player who then looks to move with the ball

You look at how Spain pass in the usual triangles that everyone does but they're passing it in to a space just in front of their guy so he's moving on to the ball, it's so much quicker, it's a 2 to 3 yard difference but it's massive 

It was an improvement but basically it was a draw against a fairly average side. England has been lucky with the draw they have had 5 games and have yet to play a decent side. We are getting better on penalties, I think the one in 2018 v Columbia was a real monkey off our back. Kane is clearly not fit and should really be dropped but that won't happen. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

England are laboured in attack but when people talk about it being embarrassing to have to win on penalties against Switzerland, I think that is a bit of English arrogance on display.

Switzerland are a good side, with players who just won the league in the Premier League, Bundesliga and Serie A. 

The result isn't embarrassing its the set up, it's how deep we play in almost fear or overly respectful of the opposition 

Switzerland are not a bad team by any stretch but same as Slovakia then idea of England playing cautious football against them, encamped on the edge of our own box is taking the piss 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There goes Ferdinand again bigging Southgate up. "It's in his plans, calm did a good job". We went to penelties you numpty, we wasn't good enough yet again.

Made me laugh when Rio was lauding Southgates subs...after we had conceded.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â