Euro 2024: Quarter Finals

limpid

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I am happy about that. I held my breath when Konsa got that kick to his knee. 

Fair point 👍

Holland one of them teams who would improve immensely if they played 3 at the back with Frimpong and Maatsen as wing backs. 

But they dont... 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, maltesemike said:

I think it was awful bringing him off for a player who hadn't played since February. He was MOTM up to that point.

I think he was totally exhausted -- almost a safety measure. Konsa not only played his heart out, he played for Kane, too, who barely seemed to move at times. Ezri was the 11th man.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Strange game. First half we were actually good. Not amazing but our best game so far. Downhill after that. 

Foden and Kane the big problems. Both have been shit all tournament but they’ll get picked every time

You are wrong, Kane is our best DM. Just look at his positioning and how he protects the back 3/4/5. No other striker could do that so I agree with Safegate on this one 

🤪

• Haha 4

Positives:

Into the next round

Was an improvement on previous games (even though the bar is ridiculously low)

The formation change brought a bit more balance

The penalties were good

Negatives:

Southgate being so slow to change things. He's been ridiculously lucky to get out of jail with the equalisers.

Still not creating enough and losing control of matches for long spells.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Strange game. First half we were actually good. Not amazing but our best game so far. Downhill after that. 

Foden and Kane the big problems. Both have been shit all tournament but they’ll get picked every time

Agree with all of that except the Foden bit. I thought he was good today, especially first half.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

Positives:

Into the next round

The penalties were good

Negatives:

Southgate being so slow to change things. He's been ridiculously lucky to get out of jail with the equalisers.

For me now it's just the names that he keeps picking 

Replace trippier with Shaw, kane with Watkins and foden with Palmer and we'll improve even more 

• Like 1

Just now, villan95 said:

Agree with all of that except the Foden bit. I thought he was good today, especially first half.

Really? I thought he was **** dogshit for the whole game

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Positives:

Into the next round

The penalties were good

Negatives:

Good assessment. Kane almost turned out to be our Ronaldo in that game. He was a drag on the team. I was screaming for Ollie at 60 minutes, and I was totally right about that. I think GS was guessing we would go to ET and wanted to keep his options open for a long game, but we should have put the Swiss to the sword when we had the chance.

Another good moment. Eze's terrible shot on goal with his cheeky smile afterwards. It was stunningly wasteful, and his grin was great -- admitting his wrong and remembering not to take it all too seriously in a moment of supreme stress. You need those lighter moments.  It's just football, after all.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

It's always good to win, obviously, and that's the point, I think the main English problem (to counter those who think people in this thread are just looking to bitch and moan) is that you look at the components of the teams, you see what they do for their clubs both domestically and in cups, and it just does not gel together into any kind of attack that matches what they put up during the season. And there doesn't appear to be any attempt to address it: no rotation of players , the fact that qualifiers and other games are simply auditions for the bench spots, etc. The only thing that seems to have changed in Southgate's time is I think he would pick Grealish from Villa now if he had it all to do over again, based on nothing more than the number of Palace players he brought this time.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why the beeb crew are bigging us up so much. They know we had to win it on pens yeah?

If you didn't watch it, hearing them, you'd think we'd won it 4-0.

If they'd been like this all tournament, I'd just write it off as the usual pundit idiocy, but to go that positive about such a dire performance, when they've previously been scathing...something isn't right.

• Like 1

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

You have to get Palmer and Foden into the same team v4e.

If that means Bellingham dropping back then so be it.

I’d straight swap foden for Palmer. Palmer has shown more in his cameos than foden has the whole tournament 

Southgate nearly had me there with his interview. I started to think, is he actually up there with the Peps. Is he a tactical master, an just knows how to.play for the win in these tournaments.

Then I gave my head a wobble, an thought no, he's just a lucky barsquid, with a group of mostly world class players. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

For me now it's just the names that he keeps picking 

Replace trippier with Shaw, kane with Watkins and foden with Palmer and we'll improve even more 

I guess the problem with Shaw is that he isn't fit to start. Stupid to take him if that's the case. Agreed on Watkins, I thought it was the perfect game for him to stretch a defence and keep them honest with pressing which Kane refused to do. I think Palmer and Foden could co exist.

I agree. I think when he plays for $hitty he knows his role in their system. England don’t have a system so looks clueless and ineffectual.

I thought he was better but he was playing in areas that he shouldn't have been in, dropped too deep, he kind of drifted to the right, there's an argument that Saka was freed up by foden being over there with him and Saka was easily our best player but is that what it's come to?

He's still a million miles away from man citys foden 

He created nothing and never got in to a shooting position, did some nice stuff around the half way line though

Hes someone who can easily be replaced in this team 

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England do actually have excellent penalty takers in the squad so people just basing it on history if they think they're just going to automatically lose every single shoot out. No Kane for it either.

Swiss should've had far more of a go as the game went on. England weren't playing an LB at all in extra time yet they seemingly didn't have anyone off the bench who could run down the right.

If the Netherlands get through they do have the tools to expose that with Dumfries, Frimpong and Gakpo. 

With the players we have we should beat Netherlands.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â