Euro 2024: Group F (Czechia, Georgia, Portugal, Türkiye)

limpid

I had a tutor at university who was Turkish and did a course on Turkish politics, they pronounced Turkey in a very distinct way that now I understand to be the proper pronunciation in Turkish. The best I could transliterate it as would be 'Tork-ee--ugh'.

Realistically though everyone in English is just going to say Turkey. It's been called Turkey for a hundred years, and the name isn't really different in Turkish it's just a pronunciation thing. Its always a balance I think as a non-native to say a foreign name - if you make no attempt to say the name accurately you're a clearing in the woods, but equally if you're having to affect an accent to say it you're also going to come across like a clearing in the woods. Like that one commentator that insists on saying players names with a put on version of their accent.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tegis said:

word removed and double word removed, and even a tripple word removed . dick_dastardly.gif

SRsWX9L.png

Wow. What a trio of absolute words removed

Edit: I was tempted to change it to a less offensive word that isn't auto filtered, but really there is no other word more suitable for them. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Haha 2

Just now, Genie said:

Pepe starting for Portugal in a major tournament at 41, crazy.

Makes Ronnie look like a trialist

Pepe was great v Arsenal in CL so don't think he's going to be exposed at all.

Bit bemused Portugal have switched to playing a back 3 when they played all the qualifiers 4-3-3 so will see if that lasts but could unbalance them.

Their bench is ridiculous strong, they'll be in the SFs at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pepe starting for Portugal in a major tournament at 41, crazy.

Makes Ronnie look like a trialist

He's played 742 games at club level and what seems even more crazy is that Tielemans has only just turned 27 last month, so is 14 years behind Pepe, and has already played 491 club games.

16 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

This Portugal side looks so old these days, they desperately need more young blood. 

They are starting more players today that are 25 or younger than 30 or older

highly one-sided, but also still 0-0. Portugal should have more to show for the dominance. Czech keeper/CBs been good, but they been woeful on the ball

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Portugal looking like England out there. Roberto Martinez, another fraud that keeps failing upwards somehow

yep big names on paper but have never really gelled as a unit and and relying on as one clearing in the woods wanted a moment of magic

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Damn, Ronaldo suddenly doesn't look so fast when he's not playing against Sunday league trialists.

That’s a bit harsh on the Republic of Ireland

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yep big names on paper but have never really gelled as a unit and and relying on as one clearing in the woods wanted a moment of magic

Sounds like us and Bellingham.