Euro 2024: Group E (Belgium, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine)

limpid

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Mangala over Tielemans is certainly a choice 

He's been in and out of their starting 11 in the last 2 years. This time it's likely because he's been injured. Missed a couple of the last games for us and the 2 friendlies before the tournament

2 minutes ago, Giro said:

This Belgium team is so average 

Maybe reverting to the mean. It was really random they got a bunch of world class players all in one generation. I don't think they had any special youth development programme or anything.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

they got a bunch of world class players all in one generation

And put Martinez in charge.

way-to-go-dumbass-3u78qpcvqs2vehw2.gif

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Maybe reverting to the mean. It was really random they got a bunch of world class players all in one generation. I don't think they had any special youth development programme or anything.

They did actually. They were quite early with a national youth academy project from what I remember.

Edit:

Belgium’s blueprint that gave birth to a golden generation

For the federation, the watershed moment came in 1998 when Belgium were eliminated at the group stage at the World Cup finals in France. Bob Browaeys, who has coached Belgium youth teams at every level and played a major part in putting together Sablon’s blueprint, says there was “no unified vision on youth” at that point. He remembers 30 federation coaches, drawn from the Dutch- and French-speaking parts of the country, meeting to discuss a radical change in approach.

“You have to know that at the end of the 90s in Belgium, they all played with individual marking, sometimes with a sweeper, it was 4-4-2, it was even 3-5-2, we got a lot of results with our A team, because we played very organised. But it was defensive, a culture of counter-attack,” Browaeys says.

Tapping into philosophies and training methods in the national setups in Netherlands and France, their neighbours in the north and south, as well as at clubs such as Ajax and Barcelona, Browaeys and his colleagues proposed that every Belgium youth team would play 4-3-3 and that work should begin on producing a totally different type of player.

“It was a massive shift but we believed that 4-3-3, at that moment, was the strongest learning environment for our players,” Browaeys says. “We felt that we had to develop dribbling skills, we said at the heart of our vision was 1v1, the duel. We said when a boy or girl wants to start playing football, you must offer first the dribble, let them play freely.”

By the time Sablon took over as acting technical director in 2001, there was a playing philosophy but little in the way of structure. Sablon provided that and more. His arrival was also well-timed. Belgium had just co-hosted Euro 2000 with the Netherlands and, although they played poorly and failed to get out of their group, they made a tidy profit off the field.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/06/belgium-blueprint-gave-birth-golden-generation-world-cup-

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It seemed like a case of too many chiefs. 

33 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Courtois and De Bruyne have beef apparently and it’s largely the reason Belgium don’t do that well

With a woman of course in the middle of it all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Belgium might live up to the hype one of these years.  I have a sneaking suspicion they'll go a long way this time. Lukaku, De Bruyne, Doku, Trossard, and our very own Youri.

It's an outrageously potent front line that should score for fun against most opposition. As always, their defence lets them down, but I have a feeling this could be their year.

I seem to have cursed them. 😅

44 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

You've got to hand it to PP, they do have quite a funny social media team.  

• Like 1