Euro 2024: Group D (Austria, France, Netherlands, Poland)

limpid

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

But he can't dive.  It's impossible for him to dive, which is why he doesn't.  He can't get the ball.  He can't even get Dumfries.

I'm curious... if he had stayed down after the first save instead of stumbling up, do you think offside should be given?

Yes its still offside for me as he is still interfering. He is within the frame of the goal in an offside position regardless Maignan position

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

It is straight forward 

Unfortunately I see debates like this and then the goal real Madrid scored in the CL semi final and to me the offside rule and the way people are talking about seems devoid of common sense 

If you were playing, if you were a defender or a keeper playing Sunday league you'd be **** fuming if that was given 

But we’re not playing Sunday league and the interference rules exist!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But he can't dive.  It's impossible for him to dive, which is why he doesn't.  He can't get the ball.  He can't even get Dumfries.

I'm curious... if he had stayed down after the first save instead of stumbling up, do you think offside should be given?

I would lean more towards yes

If the keeper was still on the floor after the first save then I could see it as not interfering because he physically can't make a play 

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

But we’re not playing Sunday league and the interference rules exist!

And he has interfered...again the rule states impacted his ability to make a play which he quite clearly has 

I would lean more towards yes

If the keeper was still on the floor after the first save then I could see it as not interfering because he physically can't make a play 

But that's exactly what's happening! :D 

And he has interfered...again the rule states impacted his ability to make a play which he quite clearly has 

He hasn’t though 😂

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

If Maignan managed to dive for that, then he has the reflexes of Superman and should never conceded another goal ever again. 

The pics that have been posted clearly show the ball is past him before he can even think about diving. 

Dumfries being stood there is irrelevant. If he's not stood there, he still ain't saving that shot, ever. 

• Like 1

The 4 attackers on BBC say goal, shame Joe Hart isn't there. Being 2 yards away from the goalie isn't interfering (IMO) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But that's exactly what's happening! :D 

I disagree with your opinion that he can't dive for that shot, if he was lay down on the floor facing the opposite direction then fair enough but he's not he's on his feet

Again whether or not he will reach it and save it is not the rule, the rule is the ability to make a play 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's not the rule!

Laws, not rules. And you have all forgotten that our only purpose is to get Stuart Attwell struck off, before he prevents Villa from winning anything ranging from a free kick to a trophy.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I disagree with your opinion that he can't dive for that shot, if he was lay down on the floor facing the opposite direction then fair enough but he's not he's on his feet

Again whether or not he will reach it and save it is not the rule, the rule is the ability to make a play 

He's a good couple of yards away from Dumfries and makes no "play", because he is unable to make any play.

Interestingly on the Beeb coverage, everyone thought it should have been a goal (Lineker, Shearer, Fabregas, Rooney) but Lineker did say something like they've spoken to a few referees and some would have given it as offside, some wouldn't have.  What a rule to have in place :D 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's a good couple of yards away from Dumfries and makes no "play", because he is unable to make any play.

Interestingly on the Beeb coverage, everyone thought it should have been a goal (Lineker, Shearer, Fabregas, Rooney) but Lineker did say something like they've spoken to a few referees and some would have given it as offside, some wouldn't have.  What a rule to have in place :D 

Yeah disagree with that, we had at least two of them last year, one Vs us in the Liverpool game and one for us in the Burnley game 

Neither of them were as obvious as that one 

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

First decision that’s felt like the kind of thing that happens in every single Prem game.  Funny that.

Yeah. Who was on VAR again?

😂

The debate here explains exactly why it took our crap referees so long to make a call. Either one could have been right depending on whether they felt the goalkeeper had any ability to make a play (regardless of Dumfries being there). If they think he can, it's offside. If they think he can't,  it's not. 

That's a totally subjective call.

And who's going to know better than a goalkeeper. No one. 

If they disagree with each other in the VAR booth the main VAR has to make a call. They'll watch as many angles as possible. Then come up with a judgement that some will agree with and some won't.

For me, I'd side with the keeper being unable to make a play and it being nothing to do with Dumfries. He simply couldn't have dived for the ball before it's gone passed him, even if Dumfries wasnt there, and that's why he didn't. He then spotted Dumfries as he watched the ball sail past him,  and made a half arsed offside appeal.

It's toss of a coin bollocks though, and they shouldn't have taken as long as they did.  If it's that subjectice and unclear, just go with whatever was given on field. Which incidentally was offside.

So I guess that means for me, the right call made, but they went the wrong way about it.

I thought it was a dire game. Very slow In which on chances the  French shouid have won but neither team.deserved to.  Pity Englsnd are so poor because I don't think the French are very good without Mbappe. 

• Like 2