Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

I'm not convinced Pickford is England's best keeper. I would rather Ramsdale, despite Arteta's opinion. I've always been impressed with him on the whole. Pickford has that manic side to him, exemplified by the decision to punch the ball when there wasn't an opposition player within 10 metres of him.

I think Southgate is losing the plot. Just heard another interview telling us he was really happy with Foden and he kept the ball well. Really? I hardly saw him on the ball, an when he was he lost it.

I think we are going to have to get used to the standard dour Safegate football yet again, an being knocked out once we play someone half decent. Rinse and repeat.

The worst part was the constant decision to go long. There was zero attempt to try and play out to beat the press. Hoof to Kane and hope for the second ball is an archaic tactic.

You've got Stones, Walker, Rice... even Guehi and Trippier are comfortable on the ball. All of the top half PL clubs try and pass out of the press.

In the second half, everything that went back to Pickford went long to Kane's head. It was incredible - and surely Southgate's instruction, not Pickford panicking.  

Against France, Germany, Spain, etc. if we don't retain possession, we will lose.

• Like 2

By a bizarre twist of fate it turns out I’ll be in Frankfurt on Thursday whilst the game is on. Might look for Southgate after the game 

im joking ill already be on a flight back by then

Neville has just described Southgate as the best manager we've had in 60/70 years. Honestly, this myth is really starting to get on my tits now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not convinced Pickford is England's best keeper. I would rather Ramsdale, despite Arteta's opinion. I've always been impressed with him on the whole. Pickford has that manic side to him, exemplified by the decision to punch the ball when there wasn't an opposition player within 10 metres of him.

Pickford is better than Ramsdale, who is the most overrate keeper since Paul Robinson. 

But Nick Pope is England’s best keeper. He should have been starting if it wasn’t for his injury. 

It’s not a great crop though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Pickford is better than Ramsdale, who is the most overrate keeper since Paul Robinson. 

But Nick Pope is England’s best keeper. He should have been starting if it wasn’t for his injury. 

I still like Ramsdale over Pickford. I think Trafford has the potential to be a top keeper. He was superb, at times, last season. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I still like Ramsdale over Pickford. I think Trafford has the potential to be a top keeper. He was superb, at times, last season. 

Yeah we have very different views on keepers. 

Trafford has a big future but he was dogshit last season. He was rightly dropped eventually and no coincidence Burnley’s results immediately improved. 

Ramsdale is awful. Newly promoted clubs were his level. Again it’s no coincidence he was replaced so soon at Arsenal. He’s miles off that level

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah we have very different views on keepers. 

Trafford has a big future but he was dogshit last season. He was rightly dropped eventually and no coincidence Burnley’s results immediately improved. 

Ramsdale is awful. Newly promoted clubs were his level. Again it’s no coincidence he was replaced so soon at Arsenal. He’s miles off that level

I honestly think Ramsdale was unlucky to lose his place. Hue replacement hardly looked unflappable. But yeah, opinions differ.

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I honestly think Ramsdale was unlucky to lose his place. Hue replacement hardly looked unflappable. But yeah, opinions differ.

Raya is absolutely miles better than Ramsdale. Like Martinez vs Olsen levels

Ramsdale will never get his place back at Arsenal. He’ll be at a bottom half prem club by summer 2025

You watch last night's game, then on reflection, you think, "Typical England, to leave out someone like Grealish." No doubt he offers something unique. 

The history of the England is team littered with a failure to accommodate the maverick player. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

By a bizarre twist of fate it turns out I’ll be in Frankfurt on Thursday whilst the game is on. Might look for Southgate after the game 

im joking ill already be on a flight back by then

Thank f****. I'm there then. 😂

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Neville has just described Southgate as the best manager we've had in 60/70 years. Honestly, this myth is really starting to get on my tits now. 

Bobby Robson says hi. 

There's no comparison. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Bobby Robson says hi. 

There's no comparison. 

Robson: Failed to qualify for Euro84, Quarter finals WC86, lost all group matches Euro88, semifinal WC90.

Southgate: Semifinal WC2018, final Euro2020, Quarter finals WC2022, qualified for Euro2024

That is the comparison.

It is clear that most people have some form of amnesia when it comes to how bad past England managers were. Southgate isn’t any good, but compared to the past he is doing pretty well.

5 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Robson: Failed to qualify for Euro84, Quarter finals WC86, lost all group matches Euro88, semifinal WC90.

Southgate: Semifinal WC2018, final Euro2020, Quarter finals WC2022, qualified for Euro2024

That is the comparison.

It is clear that most people have some form of amnesia when it comes to how bad past England managers were. Southgate isn’t any good, but compared to the past he is doing pretty well.

Like I said, read his Wikipedia and he's a great manager

Just don't watch the football 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Pope is England's best *shot-stopper*, but he's rubbish with his feet. People are complaining about Pickford going long repeatedly, but if Pope was there players would be trying to do everything they could not to pass it to him under any pressure at all, and the chance of a mistake would be far higher. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said, read his Wikipedia and he's a great manager

Just don't watch the football 

So this has gone from “who have the best record as England manager” to “who have the best Wikipedia page”. 

I think Gabby makes a good point about Southgate being afraid to take Kane off. They were really poor substitutions last night. They didn't make an iota of difference. You need boldness to be a good manager. It makes no sense worrying about upsetting your relationships with certain players. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1