Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

Foden is an issue , genuine world class player but Southgate can't get the best out of him. I'm in the view that Bellinghsm plays all over the pitch anyway and if he plays alongside Rice he will still ge forward and score  TAA I was all for playing in midfield but last night he gave away possession too often and a problem ww have is not keeping the ball well enough. 

Disappointed that Southgate was looking for more energy by bringing on Gallagher instead of control.  His in game control and ability to adapt is the problem. 

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

If I was the FA I would sack Southgate this morning. It would put a rocket up the players and would get out of the way the inevitable that is going to happen. Of course this is an over reaction, but I actually mean it, watching Southgateball is going to be the death of me.

For the sake of your health. Tokyo Vice, on IPlayer, is really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Serbia even took off Mitrovic. Italy took off Barella.

But no, for us Kane has to play 90 every game

Kane needs minutes at the moment (genuinely) after being injured at the end of the season. No problem with him having 90 here.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think I could disagree with this more strenuously. We should not move our best player from his best position just to accommodate Phil **** Foden, a guy who has one goal and zero assists for England since the last World Cup and goes missing in every single match. Move Foden to the bench and play Gordon. 

It’s not about moving Jude to accommodate Foden it’s about creating our strongest team. I believe we can have a great team with foden in it but happy for him not to be. We have the players to allow Jude to drop into midfield and dominate there. If you believe our best team has Jude in the 10 I won’t disagree. 

The point is more we are putting players in the wrong position to get them in at the detriment of them and the team. And then the subs we have don’t suit either. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Kane needs minutes at the moment (genuinely) after being injured at the end of the season. No problem with him having 90 here.

i do but not because of Kane, more because of the cluelessness of it all

kane cant press, he cant stretch the game and he cant counter - 3 things that england desperately needed in the last 10 minutes of that game, there was absolutely no out ball

what he can do is sit deep and then snatch a chance at the death which is what southgate wants but unfortunately he missed the header - but make no doubt about it that header was exactly what southgates game plan was, the moment of magic he was looking for

villa bias obviously means I'm going to say watkins should have come on but he really should, more for foden though, let kane sit deep and then spring the trap with ollie, even if it was just 40 yard balls in to the space behind the full backs

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

How many times have we seen it with England. Our, supposedly, best players failing to produce their club form at international level.

nah this isnt the players 

this is all southgate

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Foden is an issue , genuine world class player but Southgate can't get the best out of him. I'm in the view that Bellinghsm plays all over the pitch anyway and if he plays alongside Rice he will still ge forward and score  TAA I was all for playing in midfield but last night he gave away possession too often and a problem ww have is not keeping the ball well enough. 

Disappointed that Southgate was looking for more energy by bringing on Gallagher instead of control.  His in game control and ability to adapt is the problem. 

I thought Gallagher was fine when he came on and did give a measure of control, but I agree with the assessment of Trent, he does something brilliantly then something sloppy, and we'll never have full control of a game with him in central midfield. I'll be very annoyed if the experiment continues beyond the group stages. 

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The regular, manic, Everton fan on the phone to Talk S. He actually was on point .

What most of us are saying. "Have a bloody go"!!!

There was one move in the first half when Saka got down the right, into the box and put the ball across - only two England players had made the run to get there. In total there were 3 England players and a whole host of Serbian players at that moment. At that point it was obvious that the only change that Southgate has enacted since 2018 is to have removed his waistcoat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

One of the reason he didn’t had talent in his team was that Hoddle didn’t select Gazza or Le Tissier.

On a more serious note, have you seen the WC 98 team he picked, there is more talent there than we have today. Hoddle team had a better GK, better defence, better attacking options. In midfield it is maybe closer, but I think the WC98 team had a better midfield too. 

Beckham and Owen were coming through in those days so pretty much same quality as now.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One thing we've gotten used to under this manager is the press largely behaving, instead of their previous determination to lever whoever was England manager out of the job. Whether that's because Southgate is an expert media handler with loads of industry mates, because the papers have decided their readers don't want that kind of activism any more, or just because Southgate really is so vanilla he has literally no fleas on him, is quite important. If it's the second one it won't matter who the FA pick, but if it's the first or third it might, and with Howe in particular I'd be wanting to do a bit of due diligence, really check there's nothing to those PED rumours, check there was nothing untoward about that period when Bournemouth kept paying way over market value for Liverpool youth players, etc. 

People on here say the same about Pep and also Liverpool with those sinus devices the year they won the league. Even Leicester the year they won the league and there were some accusations just because Vardy and Kante ran fast and put the miles in.

I just assumed it was in jest posts otherwise other fans could just query what Emery was feeding Bailey and Watkins for breakfast on matchdays last season.

I don't think Howe has anything to worry about if the main accusation is his weird fetish for signing some bang average Liverpool players when he was at Bournemouth, it's hardly Harry Redknapp in court when he was being seriously linked to the England job in 2012.

He's an English manager who's actually just managed in the CL so that makes him more qualified than anyone domestically bar probably Brendan Rodgers but his stock is far lower now after the way it ended at Leicester.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Why did he only make 3 subs if he thought his players were running out of energy?

Foden actually playing 90 minutes was a head scratcher. Take him off and put on Gordon or Eze that side.

It's not like Foden's been brilliant for England last three years and just had a terrible game. Too often he's been on the fringes compared to what he does for Man. City most games so I think that should be the national debate today, how can one of the Premier league's top players go through a group stage game touching the ball about five times?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Compare him to Koeman in the Dutch game, took off his 2 biggest attackers and put on a Burnley reject and he got the winner

Koeman is probably at a generous best a mid table Premier League manager

Even Serbia last night weren’t afraid to take off Mitrovic for the good of the team

I thought the subs were fine to be honest. They just came too late. 

Trent was the worst player on the pitch. He should have been hooked at half time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think I could disagree with this more strenuously. We should not move our best player from his best position just to accommodate Phil **** Foden, a guy who has one goal and zero assists for England since the last World Cup and goes missing in every single match. Move Foden to the bench and play Gordon. 

Agreed. It’s an absolutely mental take. 

Foden is excellent on the left. He’s not for England. 

The solution to that isn’t to move him central out of position and move our best player also out of position.

The solution is to get the best out of foden (a left footed fullback behind him would help) or have the balls to replace him with someone who is more effective in this team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought the subs were fine to be honest. They just came too late. 

Trent was the worst player on the pitch. He should have been hooked at half time 

I thought Trent did some good stuff along with the bad stuff. Subs did fine but we could easily  easily conceded late on. 

• Like 1