Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

If I was the FA I would sack Southgate this morning. It would put a rocket up the players and would get out of the way the inevitable that is going to happen. Of course this is an over reaction, but I actually mean it, watching Southgateball is going to be the death of me.

I’ve got mates saying I’m negative and I’d agree if we hadn’t seen this exact performance for 8 years. 

Trent is a mistake in midfield, Foden is a mistake on the left. The complete inability to set an attacking plan to get the best of the players and most importantly the  ability to change during a game. What was Mainoo brought on for? To be an attacking DM? 

It’s fine to say you are being brave by the squad selection and even the team selection on the day but if you perform exactly the same then what is the point.

Personally what Bellingham did for Madrid was amazing but Bellingham and Rice has to be our midfield (Trent was drifting forward anyway not that he knew where he was going) This allows Foden in the 10 and Gordon on the left. You then have Eze to bring on for Foden, Palmer and Bowen for Saka and Grealish to bring on the left (oh you didn’t take him). Then when the game is stretched or under the cosh bring on Watkins to push them back.

Use the squad you said you so bravely chose. Will be the exact same team for Denmark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Compare him to Koeman in the Dutch game, took off his 2 biggest attackers and put on a Burnley reject and he got the winner

Koeman is probably at a generous best a mid table Premier League manager

Serbia even took off Mitrovic. Italy took off Barella.

But no, for us Kane has to play 90 every game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I saw enough last night to know we won’t win the tournament.

Some of the substitutions were bizarre. It was like he was trying to take off anyone who actually was having a good game while leaving Kane and foden out there even though they’d been awful.

Better managers know how and when to tweak the system when it’s not working. Maybe we’re just spoilt these days with unai, but it’s obvious that Southgate isn’t in the same galaxy as some of the modern premier league managers.

Some of europes best teams would be falling over themselves for our players but none of them would take our manager.

To be fair, Bowen put in an excellent cross for the Kane chance and Gallagher was all over the pitch towards the end of the match.

• Like 1

Yeah Bowen looked decent...

Thing is your hatred for Southgate aside England have some great players and someone like Bellingham could help drag England through.

Think Palmer and Saka should be rotated; get Palmer in for the next game and freshen it up a bit.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's gonna get worse from what I heard this morning from Southgate. 

"I think we need to conserve energy more, that first half took alot out of us."

Literally just heard what he said. 

It's unbelievable. 

'We made a lot of runs in the 1st half'

Errrr, what?? We played in front of them, at a slow pace. The only player who made a run was Saka. 

Then he said something about closing the game out by winning fouls etc... 

It's pathetic. We shouldn't be having to close games out doing that, with the attacking talent he has to use, it should be 2, 3 or 4-0 by that time. It's the 1st group game, not a tense Semi-Final against a top side. 

For all the fans I've heard this morning,  saying why is anyone being so negative, I'd suggest they think about Southgate being manager of their club side for 6 months and seeing what they think then. 

3 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Literally just heard what he said. 

It's unbelievable. 

'We made a lot of runs in the 1st half'

Errrr, what?? We played in front of them, at a slow pace. The only player who made a run was Saka. 

Then he said something about closing the game out by winning fouls etc... 

It's pathetic. We shouldn't be having to close games out doing that, with the attacking talent he has to use, it should be 2, 3 or 4-0 by that time. It's the 1st group game, not a tense Semi-Final against a top side. 

For all the fans I've heard this morning,  saying why is anyone being so negative, I'd suggest they think about Southgate being manager of their club side for 6 months and seeing what they think then. 

I heard the guy complaining about the negativity. 

If Southgate isn't gonna do anything any different it ain't gonna end any different!. An at the moment it's de ja vu.

43 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Personally what Bellingham did for Madrid was amazing but Bellingham and Rice has to be our midfield (Trent was drifting forward anyway not that he knew where he was going) This allows Foden in the 10 and Gordon on the left. You then have Eze to bring on for Foden, Palmer and Bowen for Saka and Grealish to bring on the left (oh you didn’t take him). Then when the game is stretched or under the cosh bring on Watkins to push them back.

I don't think I could disagree with this more strenuously. We should not move our best player from his best position just to accommodate Phil **** Foden, a guy who has one goal and zero assists for England since the last World Cup and goes missing in every single match. Move Foden to the bench and play Gordon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think I could disagree with this more strenuously. We should not move our best player from his best position just to accommodate Phil **** Foden, a guy who has one goal and zero assists for England since the last World Cup and goes missing in every single match. Move Foden to the bench and play Gordon. 

Why does the Premier League player of the season, for the title winning team, look shit for England?

Answers on a postcard...

Spoiler

Gordon would also look shit

12 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

England remind me of Man Utd.

Ten Haag calling Southgate shite is a wonderful discussion between pots and kettles! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Ten Haag calling Southgate shite is a wonderful discussion between pots and kettles! 

Probably knows Southgate was in for his job tbh 

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's gonna get worse from what I heard this morning from Southgate. 

"I think we need to conserve energy more, that first half took alot out of us."

Utterly deluded. But this is what we all know will happen. We'll play slow,  predictable, defensive football, and try and scrape 1-0 wins.

And yet I'll be labelled negative because he'll get us to a semi final, something we never used to do. Would I prefer us to go out on the group stage? Absolutely not, but I'd also like to feel like there's a chance we might beat someone we theoretically could struggle against. Southgate is the master of the mundane and delivers nothing more than the minimum you expect. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Why did he only make 3 subs if he thought his players were running out of energy?

He doesn't know what he's doing and makes up excuses after the match?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why does the Premier League player of the season, for the title winning team, look shit for England?

Answers on a postcard...

Reveal hidden contents

Gordon would also look shit

I mean you say it like the question is obvious, but Bellingham Saka and Kane (admittedly not last night) do not look shit for England. 

We've done this before with England, focus on trying to get the eleven best English Premier League players into the side rather than making the best team out of the players available. We also know how this movie ends. 

Is Gordon a better Premier League player than Foden? Not a chance. But for whatever reason, Foden does not have the juice for England. It's time to try something else. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I mean you say it like the question is obvious, but Bellingham Saka and Kane (admittedly not last night) do not look shit for England. 

We've done this before with England, focus on trying to get the eleven best English Premier League players into the side rather than making the best team out of the players available. We also know how this movie ends. 

Is Gordon a better Premier League player than Foden? Not a chance. But for whatever reason, Foden does not have the juice for England. It's time to try something else. 

Foden is crippled by what Kane does. Kane drops deep and takes away what little space Foden should have to do what he does. 

He's always terrible for England, because he always plays with a Kane that drops deep. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's time to try something else. 

I agree. A bloke who isn't a footballer terrorist. He's wasted enough time.

My confident prediction: we will get out of the group but as soon as we face a top 10 team the game will play out exactly as it did against France/croatia/italy. I.e we will either go 1-0 up and sit back all game and let the opposition back into it and lose 2-1; or we go 1-0 down and labour away to get 1-1 before sitting back and losing 2-1 in the last 15 mins 

• Like 1