Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

limpid

Seen on transfermarkt, if you rank the players at the euros for goal contributions in the top 5 European leagues last season 5 of the top 10 are English, it's actually 5 of the top 7

Kane is 1st, Palmer is 3rd, Ollie is 4th, foden is 5th, Bowen is 7th

And we just blagged a 1-0 win Vs Serbia with the lowest number of shots ever recorded in a euros game 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Seen on transfermarkt, if you rank the players at the euros for goal contributions in the top 5 European leagues last season 5 of the top 10 are English, it's actually 5 of the top 7

Kane is 1st, Palmer is 3rd, Ollie is 4th, foden is 5th, Bowen is 7th

And we just blagged a 1-0 win Vs Serbia with the lowest number of shots ever recorded in a euros game 

The starting front 4 had 114 goals between them last season

22 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

For those that are negative, should go back and watch Euro 2016, the last tournament before Southgate. That was the good old days. 

It's not about being negative, what you see is what you see. 2016 is a pretty low bar by any standards. Answer me this. What quality side have we beaten under this manager? All those, really, decent players, and you struggle get a tune out of them. You don't win anything by being more concerned about not losing than winning, hence, the penalty shootouts. Until that mentality is changed, it will be the same old story.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

England is one of the favourites for the tournament

Its like Man United praying for a Luton loss on the opening day

They are favourites, but nobody can explain why. Brilliant players, disallowed from playing by the coach.

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

People aren't knocking the win what is plainly obvious is as Villa fans is seeing what a proper manager can do with the same players Gerrard had.

We know the England players are better than this and that is down to the manager and coaching.

The problem is that a good club manager doesn’t necessarily becomes a good national catch, it is almost like a good player doesn’t become a good manager, when we are talking about Gerrard.

A club coach spend days, weeks, months to drill players in their system and tactics, while a national coach have a few days a few times a year to get their idea across. That means tactics like Emery have implemented at Villa, most likely wouldn’t work for England, because there aren’t enough time to drill in the system.

My guess is that the current England setup is as good as it ever will be, and the post-Southgate area will be worse. Kinda depressing.

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If Foden plays like that again, he's gonna have to be replaced. He's a talent no doubt, but Southgate has no idea how to play him.

To be fair, I'm beginning to think, no other manager apart from Pep can

I agree, I have no idea he stayed on the pitch. He barely featured in the second half.

Both Bowen and Gallagher made positive contributions in the time they were on the pitch and I am sure Palmer or Gordon coming on for Foden would have made the last 20 minutes less stressful. It’s a squad game.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's not about being negative, what you see is what you see. 2016 is a pretty low bar by any standards. Answer me this. What quality side have we beaten under this manager? All those, really, decent players, and you struggle get a tune out of them. You don't win anything by being more concerned about not losing than winning, hence, the penalty shootouts. Until that mentality is changed, it will be the same old story.

I think Euro 2008 is a lower bar. I think we have to be realistic, maybe we aren’t beating quality sides, but at least we are winning against really bad sides.

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

The problem is that a good club manager doesn’t necessarily becomes a good national catch, it is almost like a good player doesn’t become a good manager, when we are talking about Gerrard.

A club coach spend days, weeks, months to drill players in their system and tactics, while a national coach have a few days a few times a year to get their idea across. That means tactics like Emery have implemented at Villa, most likely wouldn’t work for England, because there aren’t enough time to drill in the system.

My guess is that the current England setup is as good as it ever will be, and the post-Southgate area will be worse. Kinda depressing.

Whilst I agree it's different we just want the handbrake taken off the guy has learnt nothing from taking the lead in a semi final and final and losing both games.  

Got away with it today but when we play anyone decent then it's curtains.

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

I think Euro 2008 is a lower bar. I think we have to be realistic, maybe we aren’t beating quality sides, but at least we are winning against really bad sides.

But we're trying to snatch 1-0 wins when every man and his dog can see this team should be built around winning 4-3

It's painful

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not true though is it. Mancini and Deschamps who had good but not great club coaches have schooled Southgate recently

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

It may well be a lower bar. Go and watch how good we were in 1990 and 1996. That tonight, in the second- half, was turgid. Safety first football with talent like that at your disposal. 

Thought we did alright 🤷‍♂️

Struggled to hold the ball in the second half but pretty comfortable overall. 

Was it perfect? No. But Southgate is such a limited manager I'm not sure we should expect much more.

Just got to beat who's in front of you and we did that. 

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It may well be a lower bar. Go and watch how good we were in 1990 and 1996. That tonight, in the second- half, was turgid. Safety first football with talent like that at your disposal. 

England were not actually that good in them tournaments though. One Netherlands game that was probably it and brave losses to Germany

1990 Cameroon should have won and Spain were robbed in 96

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

If Foden plays like that again, he's gonna have to be replaced. He's a talent no doubt, but Southgate has no idea how to play him.

To be fair, I'm beginning to think, no other manager apart from Pep can

Again? Foden has played like that for years for England.

48 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Emery came in and within a couple of days got us beating Utd, then within a few weeks has a system in place. In the run up to a tournament the time he’d have with the squad he’d have them so well drilled. 
But at international level you don’t need a master tactician, just someone who can get the team working well and the best out of the better players. As others said, Deschamps and Mancininhave managed it perfectly 

Unconvincing is probably the best word for that. 

Im not sure I’ve ever seen a bigger difference in club and international form as Phil Foden. He’s unbelievable for City and dreadful for England. 

Bellingham and Rice were excellent, everyone else was meh

54 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Yes there were years that we didn't even qualify for tournaments let alone get out of  the groups. From where we were when he took over we are on anorher level. I don't get all the criticism he gets but I guess with the quality of players we have expectations are much higher.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Potter be dreadful though. He needs time to drill players to just pass forever with no plan to score

I think Howe will be the next manager. Poor start to next season and he'll probably get sacked by Newcastle so feels a good time to leave if approached given he's generally done well.

Outsider Steve Cooper given he coached likes of Foden at under 17 level and generally done well in his club jobs. Think he might need another prem job though to be seriously in contention and think he might be in for the Leicester job.